Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Writing TWO answers for a question - HSN forum

Writing TWO answers for a question

15 replies to this topic

#1 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

just wondering, see if you answered a question in the maths exam 2 ways and got 2 different answers and just left it like that, would the marker take the right one or just give you zero for the whole question (even if one of your two answers was right?)

please reply.
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#2 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

They should give u half marks (definately) or maybe full, but only if you showed the working for both ways!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#3 aldo

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

I dont know how the maths paper is marked but in Physics, if at any stage in a question you write something which they deem to be "Wrong Physics" they stop marking that question at that point.

Perhaps the finalised marking instructions for the previous years papers would give you an idea.

I cant see them being generous with the marks when you offer them a choice of solutions though!!!

#4 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

i dont know who is right because my maths teacher says its ok yet in a maths revision book i bought , the guy who wrote it says

"you have to score one of the answers out, you cant have two bites at the cherry"

huh.gif unsure.gif whos right!!!!!?????
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

Well I dont think they'd give you full marks, maybe half! I would recommend trying it! Put it that way, if you accidently do it k, if you deliberately do it ur a fool!

#6 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

You can't keep two people would just keep writing down various ways to get the marks. The examiners are not stupid they would know what you were up to.

#7 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(gary @ May 17 2005, 09:03 PM)
You can't keep two people would just keep writing down various ways to get the marks. The examiners are not stupid they would know what you were up to.

View Post

Good point , good point. Suppose that makes sense

right thanks smile.gif
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

If u did accidently do it once though, say on a 4 marks question then I dont think they'd be that bothered

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:28 PM

well if you do a question 2 ways and get different answers obviously one is wrong so i would be trying to find the problem and make sure both answers were the same. Its also possible one method is wrong maths

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

Actually scrap what I said, take Dave's advice

#11 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:08 PM

I think that if u do 2 answers and one is rite, and has totally the correct working, then they have to giv u the mark cos you hav shown that u are capable of doin it.....I think I read this somewere last year....but I cant totally be sure!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#12 e-unit

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

You can't write down 2 answers but if you have the right answer, say for the equation of a circle, and then you multiply it out wrongly, you still get all the marks.

#13 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, I wish that happened in physics. Stupid 'Wrong Physics'

#14 Jonathan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

You state you are "trying something else". They will mark both and whatever one you get most marks on, they give you and discard the other effort cool.gif
Jesus Is Coming. Look Busy!

#15 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

All I know is in computing, if you were to do 2 questions in the exam (you have to pick one of of the two) they have to mark both of them and give you the highest out of the two.

But that's computing!

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:39 PM

I'm closing this thread because there's no official line from the SQA on this, and there's contradictory statements going around, which probably isn't helping people.

Let's just hope it doesn't come to the point where you have to right two answers down. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users