Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
MOSFETS - HSN forum

MOSFETS

15 replies to this topic

#1 lanky_182

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Music, gigs, shopping, parties, mates etc

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

how a MOSFET is made, as i was reading my notes about it 2day and when it started to mention substrate, and implant regions etc i got very confused and am finding it a little difficult to understand just now.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

its possible but really they tend to stick to what the names of the parts are and just the simple stuff

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

Yea man that is heavy duty stuff lol. Id stick to remembering the names.

#4 SomethingTypical

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

You should remember that the Drain and Gate are positive.

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

The content statements say you need to know the following about MOSFETS:

Describe the structure of an n-channel enhancement MOSFET using the terms: gate, source, drain, substrate, channel, implant and oxide layer.

Explain the electrical ON and OFF states of an n-channel enhancement MOSFET.

State that an n-channel enhancement MOSFET can be used as an amplifier.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

Well in the Leckie and Leckie past papers (2000 - 2004) there is only one question(2003 26 b i) on MOSFET's, and its to name it from its circuit symbol, so chances are it won't turn up.

Good luck in the exam in 7 days time(getting nervous over here)

#7 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(johnmallan @ May 17 2005, 10:07 PM)
Well in the Leckie and Leckie past papers (2000 - 2004) there is only one question(2003 26 b i) on MOSFET's, and its to name it  from its circuit symbol, so chances are it won't turn up.

Good luck in the exam in 7 days time(getting nervous over here)

View Post

Are you sure that doesn't mean that there is actually MORE reason for MOSFET questions to come up?
user posted image

#8 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:48 AM

yeh, werlop, thats wot I was finkin....if it hasnt showed up much in recent years then their likely to slip it in now!
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#9 JasMcG

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:36 AM

I think if they ask a complex question on MOSFETs, you'll be given a diagram of the cross-section. Then they might ask things like what happens to the channel when it conducts (ie widens) and doesn't conduct (ie narrows).

Remember that any transistor, be it MOSFET or NPN, is simply an electronic switch in Higher so all it does is turn thing on and off. You need to be be able to regurgitate the fact that MOSFETs can amplify signals (as indeed can any transistor).

Good luck to you all again!

#10 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ May 17 2005, 10:33 PM)
Are you sure that doesn't mean that there is actually MORE reason for MOSFET questions to come up?

View Post

Well, now that you say that! Better get the books out again. Hope they don't turn up, we only spent 30 mins on them in class. But we will only find out on Tuesday.

#11 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

MOSFETs are SO unnecessary in the course.

#12 DecadentParadise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Dream Theater .. not that any of you will have heard of them.... :(

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

We also spent five minutes watching the teacher ramble about MOSFETs... hopefully we'll just get the question to name the symbol.. biggrin.gif

#13 smilie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

do u thnk thy will ever ask u 2 draw one

#14 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(werlop @ May 17 2005, 05:35 PM)
The content statements say you need to know the following about MOSFETS:

Describe the structure of an n-channel enhancement MOSFET using the terms: gate, source, drain, substrate, channel, implant and oxide layer.

Explain the electrical ON and OFF states of an n-channel enhancement MOSFET.

State that an n-channel enhancement MOSFET can be used as an amplifier.

View Post

They can only ask you what I said above.
user posted image

#15 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

Loads of people found it confusing. I'm going to need to look at my notes as I've forgotten all the MOSFET stuff. I don't think it should be in the higher physics course.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#16 Equilibrium

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

in 14 years of past papers ive only seen them ask to name the symbol and even then you get half marks for saying its a transister.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users