Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
how did it go for u? - HSN forum - Page 2

how did it go for u?

36 replies to this topic

#21 *Etoile*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:07 PM

Thought the R/DW were easy, much to my relief. I was worried a french person would be visiting me or it would be a work experience (hadn't practiced them). I was so sure that i had completely screwed up the lsitening and everyone was going on about how easy it was, but I spoke to my teacher about it afterwards who'd heard the passage and I told her the questions and my answers and most of them were right anyway. I found the personal response fine (luckily I was almost certain it would be leisure so I revised sport the night before). All in all I thought it went fine and hopefully I'll get the band 1 I'/m predicted. Hope it went fine for everyone as well! Good Luck for the rest of them.

#22 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:55 AM

There is a review of the French exam here:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/features/39567.html
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#23 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

That report says that the Listening was fine! Maybe my A will be turning into a B! There's always an appeal I suppose.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#24 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

Have just read the review of Higher French personally think that nonsense about New Yorkaise as I found the translation easy what did everyone else think. Also do you think it was enough to put ...of this young new yorker or would you have had to put ...of this young female new yorker?

#25 *Etoile*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

i put this young new yorker but surely if as many people found it as difficult as they said they did then that would be acceptable?

#26 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:27 PM

when i said what i had done for the translation to my teacher she said it sounded good, so here's hoping tht will be acceptable. Good luck etoile

#27 e-unit

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

The translation was easy. It was even in Englsih word order. Who couldn't translate "encourage par le succes" etc? I translated New Yorkaise as "female New Yorker" just to show I knew what it meant even though we wouldnt say it in english.

#28 jondom

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:24 PM

I think that's farcial. "...young female New Yorker..." doesn't sound right in English. blink.gif

#29 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:42 PM

I didn't write female, purely based on the fact that, as the above poster said, it doesn't really make sense in English and that's basically the whole point of the translation.

Did it not say the persons name was Karen or something anyway? Because then it's quite obvious it's a female, without having to say it. IMO. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#30 Raeg

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

I just put New Yorker, for the same reason

#31 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:13 PM

I put young female New Yorker!

'New Yorkaise' is implying that the person is a girl (and the markers want to see that a candidate has realised and picked up on that). Personally i do think that makes sense and if u didn't state that the person who they were talking about was a girl, then it could be anyone from either sex.

O well, we will just have to wait and see.

lol

biggrin.gif

beast

#32 krazykooki

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

i put new yorker simply because you wouldn't say female new yorker in that context event hough it doesnt fully show what that means but at the end of the day that one phrase is only really likely to lose you 1 mark so it shouldnt be too bad

#33 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:18 PM

krazikooki i luv ur signature - "i'm not mad everyone else is just boring" cool. Fingers crossed for exam results!!

#34 LCaesar

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, watching Scrubs, and making little shapes out of bluetac (I made a Rolling Stones style mouth the other day...it was cool at the time!). <br />I've been obsessed with Green Day for ages, you can't have too much of a good thing.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

I thought the listening was nails ohmy.gif , but everything else was fine, I think. My French class was great this year, we messed around for the most part and my teacher, who was formally evil, became more like a deranged auntie who's actually quite nice in her own way. I'm doing German next year, but it just won't be the same... sad.gif
Don't talk. Mime is money.IPB Image

#35 LCaesar

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, watching Scrubs, and making little shapes out of bluetac (I made a Rolling Stones style mouth the other day...it was cool at the time!). <br />I've been obsessed with Green Day for ages, you can't have too much of a good thing.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hey how do you get your photo to show at the side? I like mine !
Don't talk. Mime is money.IPB Image

#36 princess

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Hi, Just wondered if someone could tell me what kind of topic the writing was on in the 2005 paper as my past papers only go up to 2004. Also in the 2005 Directed Writing does it involve a situation where you go to France or pupils from France come to Scotland? Thank you to anyone who could tell me this. smile.gif

#37 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(princess @ Apr 4 2006, 06:46 PM) View Post

Hi, Just wondered if someone could tell me what kind of topic the writing was on in the 2005 paper as my past papers only go up to 2004. Also in the 2005 Directed Writing does it involve a situation where you go to France or pupils from France come to Scotland? Thank you to anyone who could tell me this. smile.gif

Now, it was long ago... but I vaguely remember the D/W last year being about sport. I wrote a big long speel about how there aren't enough sport facilities where I live and said that sport wasn't really my thing etc. etc.
Also, I'm pretty sure that you went to France. I think I went on a wee trip to Chartres because it was to be a small town near Paris.
biggrin.gif

"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users