Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
how did it go for u? - HSN forum

how did it go for u?

36 replies to this topic

#1 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

smile.gif hey

I have just sat higher french and it went surprisingly well!

I did the directed writing first as that requires a lot of time for me to do it! I thought to myself: 'is this the higher paper?because it seems to be pretty straight forward!'lol Then once i had finished the DW, i got another nice surprise, the reading passage was really interesting and again straight forward! (for a moment i thought it was a dream!) lol

Then the next paper- arh the listening was really hard but the topic that we had to write the essay on was really good!

Anyway i'll stop blabbering now, though i am interested to hear what everyone else thought of it!??????!
beast

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:56 AM

Cool. smile.gif - Sounds like last year's!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

Reading + Directed Writing were really good, I checked the front to see if it was Higher or Int 2 or something because it seemed so straight forward!

The Listening was soo hard, I'm bad at listening at the best of times so I'm not expecting much for that. The short essay was okay, I made up a lot of stuff so I just hope that it makes sense.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#4 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

The Reading/DW paper was the easiest that it's been in the last 5 years. There were only 3 questions for a start! smile.gif I finished with half an hour left (including checking all my answers!) ohmy.gif

The listening was quite tough, but I only had to guess one question (when she knew she was going to be an athlete) because I was too busy with the Chinese diet queston. wink.gif The essay topic after that was really good too! smile.gif Finished that paper with 15 minutes left.

All in all, I'm quite confident! cool.gif rolleyes.gif smile.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#5 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

I thought both papers were quite good this year! The reading was on an interesting subject so it wasn't too hard to concentrate on at all!

The directed writing was pretty straight forward! What did everyone say was organised for them, I said the french people organised a party for the scottish people. biggrin.gif

The listening I thought was quite difficult as the person was mumbling and the passage was quite short but it was a great topic for the Short Essay!

All in all quite a good paper i think smile.gif

#6 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(super_diva <3! @ May 17 2005, 01:23 PM)
I thought both papers were quite good this year! The reading was on an interesting subject so it wasn't too hard to concentrate on at all!

View Post

It was quite weird....do you reckon the bit about the spoiled little rich girl was true? huh.gif She's a stuck-up cow if it was! laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

#7 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(djh1878 @ May 17 2005, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE(super_diva <3! @ May 17 2005, 01:23 PM)

View Post

It was quite weird....do you reckon the bit about the spoiled little rich girl was true? huh.gif She's a stuck-up cow if it was! laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

View Post

haha! biggrin.gif I dunno, but my teacher reckoned it was based on a real event from a few years ago...so it might be! I'm just glad she got deaths threats...acting like that laugh.gif

#8 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:37 PM

I found the reading paper easy and interesting so that was great - the only thing with the directed writing was saying how it would benefit the school in the future. The listening was quite easy - the only question that was difficult for me was the one about her determination. I thought the essay was difficult but still felt i did reasonably well. Good luck when the results eventually come out.

#9 JiLL

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

I know!

Alice - stuck up little french girl!

lol
tongue.gif
beast

#10 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(Jillz @ May 17 2005, 12:38 PM)
I know!

Alice - stuck up little french girl!

lol
tongue.gif

View Post

Oui! laugh.gif

Vikki - I was thinking that about the end of the DW I ended up just expanding on how it helped my french and said that it would help improve their French as well dry.gif don't know if it was what they were looking for but I fully answered the bullet point so I can't lose any marks there!

#11 jondom

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

Do you instantly lose three marks for getting a verb ending wrong in the directed writing?
Also, does anyone know what the pass mark was for an A last year?

merci beaucoup laugh.gif

#12 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

I thought you only lost the 3 marks if you made frequent verb errors...like 3 or 4, well I think that's what my teacher said any way!

I know one or two i've made from just checking over notes unsure.gif rolleyes.gif so I hope it takes a few to get you put down a peg! Lol the marks in the directed writing are precious!

I don't actually know what the pass mark was for last year but I think I heard someone saying it was around the 70% mark for an A, 60% for a B and 50% for a C... that could be totally wrong but ah well, someone else will know for sure laugh.gif

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(jondom @ May 17 2005, 04:01 PM)
Do you instantly lose three marks for getting a verb ending wrong in the directed writing?
Also, does anyone know what the pass mark was for an A last year?

merci beaucoup laugh.gif

View Post

It was 67 marks, and I think it's out of 97 marks? So that would make it 69%.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#14 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

The whole paper including speaking is out of 100 as far as I know.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#15 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:47 PM

yup

Speaking - 25
Reading - 20
Listening - 20
Directed Writing - 15
Short Essay - 10
Translation - 10

biggrin.gif i think... laugh.gif

#16 ILS

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

French 2004: 2003: 2002:

A=67% 70 70
B=56% 60 60
C=46% 50 50

Grade Boundaries have remained pretty stable over the last few years, so can't see them raising them by much than 3% compared to last year.

I thought the 2 papers were very fair, apart from the listening which was as hard as it always is. I think we were all really worried that they might've given some really awkward DW and essay but they were quite nice imo smile.gif

I agree that the point about how the visit helped your school was a wee bit tricky to tackle, but i thought they might penalise if you only said how it helped U, so i put some random crap!

Look forward to hearin some replies from you old skoolers compared with newbie me, first post yay!!! biggrin.gif

#17 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(ILS @ May 17 2005, 06:31 PM)
I agree that the point about how the visit helped your school was a wee bit tricky to tackle, but i thought they might penalise if you only said how it helped U, so i put some random crap!

View Post

I put something along the lines of "maintenant, il y a une meilleure ambience chez nous..." ie crap!!! laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

#18 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

I put something along the lines of "maintenant, il y a une meilleure ambience chez nous..." ie crap!!!  laugh.gif  rolleyes.gif

Is it not ambiance? unsure.gif
Anyhoo, I found that bit difficult too - I put something like that lots of people in my year want to keep doing French now and that the French teachers will be delighted with that etc etc. Yeah, basically I wrote crap, but I tried...
Then in the opinion essay I had to make up some random rubbish about how my town should really have a sports centre to keep young people fit, and I kinda went off on a tangent, lol.
Yeah, but it was OK, pretty easy on the whole je pense.
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#19 krazykooki

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

i thought the reading was brilliant -in terestin topic an not too difficult so that shouldn't be too bad

DW was of im pretty confident that my french was ok but some of the bullet points were a bit dodgy ie what was organised an freetime not sure how clear i made it that i was talkin about two different things but then had brainwave to start second one with pendant mon temps libre lol last bullet point was also a bit awkward but i jus rambled on about how they hope to have an exchange every year cos everyones french improved an everyone wants to continue french next year

listenin was horrible but it never was my strong point
short essay i thought went really well so all in all i should do ok biggrin.gif

#20 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

I actually feel quite emotional now its all over - my year of hard work with an excellent teacher - my teacher keeps saying " You'll definitely get an A" and I so want an A and i'm scared if i don't cos i will let her down and myself down. And we have to wait to Aug 9 to find out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users