Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Horrendous Exam - HSN forum

Horrendous Exam

84 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:27 PM

No, that doesn't mean it was "easy", the exam was horrendous.

I wasn't "on edge" after having Geography this morning but nevertheless, I made an erse of it and a big one two.

Question 1 - I gayed it up

Question 2 - hopefully they will accept my working and that and give me consquential marks.

Question 4 - thought this was an alright question. I wrote about Culmative Preferance Shares and Acid Test Ratio.

Question 6 - ph34r.gif Everything fell apart here.

Question 7 - only question I thought "this is alright" only to be majorly rushed for time.

Question 10 - wrote what I could in the limited space of time.

Thankfully Ive got a strong appeal through my Prelim, Assesments and Nabs (if they count?). If I didnt have Geography, I would have had my wits about me, but I have majorly f*cked this ine.

#2 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

I completely agree and I think there was a mistake in the paper on question 2. It says 'One month's salary is due to the Bar Steward'. One would think it would be one twelth of her salary of 22 and added on. One twelth of 22 is not an exact value...

Question 1 - I couldn't believe that sort of question I don't think I've ever done a partnership with a BALANCE SHEET!

I thought 2 was OK however it was a bit ambigous not telling you the purchases figure for the bar (but it was the new creditors - old creditors).

I done question 4- however I don't have a clue about theory and made some stuff up.

Question 6 - SOOOO hard.

Question 7 - think I done OK.

Question 9, wrote crap again but may be able to get some marks out of it.

Think I've failed or if I'm VERY lucky just passed.

I also had geography today.

#3 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Im not sure about that mistake.

People have told me that 22 is the 11 months figure, so 24 will be the 12 months one.

Still it was a complete f*ck up and the reason we could have done pishly is because the stupid SQA think its great to have two common Highers on the same day - how are we able to have our "wits" about us and avoid making stupid mistakes when your completely exhausted?

#4 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ May 16 2005, 04:45 PM)
Im not sure about that mistake.

People have told me that 22 is the 11 months figure, so 24 will be the 12 months one.

Still it was a complete f*ck up and the reason we could have done pishly is because the stupid SQA think its great to have two common Highers on the same day - how are we able to have our "wits" about us and avoid making stupid mistakes when your completely exhausted?

View Post

OHHH MAN, thats crap!!! i couldnt work that out, i kept making that mistake, i though he was owed it from a seperate month out of this year and had to be payed this month, they should have worded it more clearly, hopefully that'll come up at the markers meeting!

#5 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Can't believe the paper was that simple. I found the questions pretty straight forward except for 2 or three little bits.(I've probably failed now having said that!) The first question I managed to balance the balance sheet at £189000.
Then on Question 2 I was a bit unsure about the subs but got(final answers)
a=£92000
bi)£28000
bii)£9000
biii)£24
c)Surplus of £41000
Then I did theory question 5 Reckon I'll have gotten bout 6 for that
Question 6 was were I found I did something wrong a bit
ai) I got BEP=1200Units
aii)I got MOS 2000 units and £100000
aiii)Profit of £126000
aiv)This is where I had a problem since I found they would need to sell less units than before so I wrote on the paper that and just left it.
b) seemed fine
c) My three closing balances were £89510, £142910 and £224770 I reckon there will be a few mistakes in the Cash Budget tho.
Then I did Question 7 and my answers were-
ai)£550000
aii)160000hrs
aiii)200000hrs
bi)Y=23000 units X=18000units
bii)Max Profit=£69600
c)Max Profit=£759000 Difference equal £63000 greater than option 1
d)Max Profit was £741000 so £18000 less
Then I did Theory question 10 reckon I'll get bout 5 for that one.

THe biggest problem for me was the fact that the invigilator gave us LINED PAPER not accounts paper. I sat at the start and was about to put my hand up when I noticed everyone had it and had started writing so I thought welll it must be right since a few people were re-sitting and i thought they must have had that last year aswell. So then I went up to talk to the teacher and she went mental and was gonna kill the Invigilator. SO the invigilator will have to send in a note saying he gave us the wrong paper. I better not get marks off for untidy work cos he gave us the wrong paper.

On a plus note I'm getting the Accounts Dux for my school at prize-giving YAY!

#6 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

I hope they bring the pass rate down.

Do you think you passed?

#7 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

question 6 is wrong, break even is not 1200 units, its 2500 units
Contribution = £50 - 5 - (3x9) - (2x3) = £12
BEP = FC/Cont = 30,000/£12
= 2,500 Units, Sales Value = 50x2,500 = £125,000

I think. laugh.gif

#8 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

Does anyone know if they can totally discredit the paper if it wasn't done on accounts paper?

#9 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

Oh yeah I just used the £9 but I'll only lose like two marks for it for adding wrong

#10 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

Moral Fabric, I done that.

As for the Salary question in the Not for Profit Making. That was not worded properly - it will cause a lot of much confusion.

Remember, you still get marks for consequential errors.

#11 Apple

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Apples!<br />Highland Dancing<br />Shoppin with my m8's

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

i could not agree more, that paper was sh*te!!! mad.gif

i'm just glad im not the only 1 that found it so bad. The 1st post sums it up perfectly for me

#12 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Personally i feel the paper was quite hard, there was alot a places you could slip up on. I was looking at past pass marks, last year you needed 71% then 2003 was 75% hopefully they won't raise it this year, if anything it should go down a few %.
what do you guys think? sad.gif

#13 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:32 PM

I came out of the exam absolutely raging. But I've seemed to have calmed down now. I can't see myself getting beyond a B on this, but on the same page, I could have failed it.

Summing up the paper, it was a good paper, the topics were fantastic, but the questions were just so awkward! Partnerships with a balance sheet, the HUGE Cash Budgets question, more weird theory than I've seen before.

#14 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:37 PM

It all depends on how the rest of the people got on.

I personally found it to be neither easy or hard the same with people in my class but it may be because a few of the questions eg BEP, Decision Making and Partnerships were in our prelim and the teacher made us do loads of revision for those so I found those OK and the budgets were the last topic we did so they were fresh in my mind so that was good also. It all eally depends on how you wee taught, what you focussed on in revisiona nd for the prelim. I reckon the pass mark may be the same or slightly lowered since there were a couple of badly worded parts which would bring peoples marks down a little.

Also I read the bar wages bit as being since £22 was paid already and 1 month was due and it was the salary I divided the 22 by 11 and added on the 2 so I put £24 for the salary

#15 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Louts, you've changed the title biggrin.gif

Just from this thread, I reckon its obvious the Accounting Paper has been a difficult, although the SQA didn't exactly help with their shocking wording of questions and "odd" compulsory questions.

#16 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(wikked-dfc @ May 16 2005, 05:14 PM)
Oh yeah I just used the £9 but I'll only lose like two marks for it for adding wrong

View Post

you might lose more though, cos of the question you "had to sell less" for...
and the MOS will be consequential
there are some others you may lose a further mark...

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ May 16 2005, 05:57 PM)

Just from this thread, I reckon its obvious the Accounting Paper has been a difficult, although the SQA didn't exactly help with their shocking wording of questions and "odd" compulsory questions.

View Post

What was it before? biggrin.gif
Well I guess it makes things a bit better that there are a few of you that found the exam to be really nasty. Pass marks will most likely be lower at least!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#18 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 16 2005, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ May 16 2005, 05:57 PM)

View Post

What was it before? biggrin.gif
Well I guess it makes things a bit better that there are a few of you that found the exam to be really nasty. Pass marks will most likely be lower at least!

View Post

it was pish pish pish,... lol... yeah lets hope its brought down!

#19 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Are you sure about the B/E? I couldn't decide whether to add depreciation in or not for fixed costs. Anyways, all of my figures were whole numbers throughout the rest of the Q so that has to be good biggrin.gif

Man, tht was a bad exam - still feeling goroggy, just having done geo, then hit with wthat. Kept getting temperature fluctuations.

On the bright side - I won our accounting prize. Me gets a shield thing for it biggrin.gif

#20 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ May 16 2005, 08:34 PM)
Are you sure about the B/E? I couldn't decide whether to add depreciation in or not for fixed costs. Anyways, all of my figures were whole numbers throughout the rest of the Q so that has to be good biggrin.gif

Man, tht was a bad exam - still feeling goroggy, just having done geo, then hit with wthat. Kept getting temperature fluctuations.

On the bright side - I won our accounting prize. Me gets a shield thing for it biggrin.gif

View Post

stolen from my clutches i may add tongue.gif lol
joking biggrin.gif
it was a hard exam, in a hot n stuffy classroom with an invidulator that interupted once or twice, lol... i guess she was just trying to help
anyway, i've failed,... and yes... i'm positive about the B/E cos your accounting for one unit, one unit takes 3 labour hours to produce to the variable cost is the labour hours X the rate they are paid at cool.gif

Later
Andi

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users