Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Highers - HSN forum - Page 3

Advanced Highers

51 replies to this topic

#41 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:33 PM

I think that its an excellent idea, but I'm a bit pissed off that I missed out on the chance to do it. I deffinately think that some pupils get really, really bored in Standard Grade, moreso in 4th year, where some people are ready to move on to that next stage that might be Int2 or Higher.

I sat a crash Higher last year and to be honest, it wasn't anything difficult, although because I had an attitude that I really wanted to learn it - It makes sense that I did better than others who'd sat the Standard Grade.

To be honest though, lets consider what you learn in Standard Grade - Its nothing you couldnt pick up in a few weeks of sitting a Higher course.

#42 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

here's an idea
S3= Standard Grades
S4= Int 2's
S5= Highers
S6= AH's and H's

... but.. i guess... not many people would agree to that.. dunno why tho??

#43 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 09 July 2005 - 05:02 PM

I dont understand whats wrong with leaving things as they

What would happen then if you fail SG's in 3rd year do they just resit. With EMA's now very much a big deal in schools then people who would not normally stay on to S6 are so they would be doing the same course from S3-S6. That would mean in a single class you would have pupils from all three year groups which i just do not think is right

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#44 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:06 PM

In my school for a lot of subject I did Int2 instead of Standard Grade. I am at a state school which decided to do this and my year was the first. The one thing that pissed me off about this is that the science subjects had not transitioned over the years I did it so it was Standard grade Chemistry and Physics instead of Int2. What a waste of time.

If standard grade is to easy for you then you shouldn't have to do it. I certainly found the Int2 subjects better prepared people for Higher.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#45 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

I agree that standard grades should be scrapped, as they are a waste of time, they don't prepare you for Highers.

Where as Int 2's will prepare you for them since they are not only generally harder than Standard Grades, but are of the same model.

I know someone will think that making them harder will cause people to get less standard grades, but the only people that will get less standard grades are the numpties that would get 4's and 5's already, because they are simply not interested in their education, where as the people who are interested in their education will be encouraged to work harder and get even better grades.

#46 AppleCore

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Interests:Photography but first has to be Mountain Biking!

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

its not about how gd you are or what level you are at. its clearly known that standard grades only take a perticular number of hours, when compared to highers is the same.. so in other words, the amount of hours you put into SG's is practically the same as the amount of hours you put into H's.. but SG's take 2 years and H's take one????

#47 albidalbibab

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

#48 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(Ally @ May 15 2005, 08:00 PM)
I've heard of a couple of people sitting AH's in 5th year. Infact, a member on this forum sat AH Maths in 5th year.

View Post

someone at my school done that as well. But he is the god of maths

#49 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:26 PM

I kind of started AH art last november, but thats different.

#50 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

how is it diffrent?

#51 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

cos i just finished my higher art and thought hey i'll start ah art now. not a big deal.

#52 Jaeden

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:music (drumming), travelling, sport....<br /><br />Sharon - miss macleod- my best buddy! (in the same pipe band).<br /><br />avatar says &quot;jaeden&quot; in chinese.

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

Just to remind you Sharon, Lewis says you have to bring your old higher art work back to school next week or something.

(I thought I might catch you on msn but you aren't there)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users