Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Highers - HSN forum

Advanced Highers

51 replies to this topic

#1 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:23 PM

Hi There,
It may be a stupid question but can Advanced Highers only be done in sixth year?

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:32 PM

Actually when Higher Still was brought in it meant that you no longer needed the subject at Higher before doing 6th yr work, as was the case with CSYS.

So certainly in extreme cases you can do AH's without the Higher - but I've never heard of it.
Mark

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

Statistics are available on the SQA website, in 2003 1 person under 15 sat an AH, 18 15 year olds sat an AH, 1664 16 year olds sat an AH. Infact there are several people over 60 who sat one as well.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

I've heard of a couple of people sitting AH's in 5th year. Infact, a member on this forum sat AH Maths in 5th year.

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:17 PM

I know someone (who is now doing physics at Cambridge) who did higher maths in 4th year, AH pure maths in 5th year and AH applied maths in 6th year.
user posted image

#6 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(sparky @ May 15 2005, 06:32 PM)
Actually when Higher Still was brought in it meant that you no longer needed the subject at Higher before doing 6th yr work, as was the case with CSYS.

So certainly in extreme cases you can do AH's without the Higher - but I've never heard of it.

View Post

someone in my school 2 years ago did AH rmps without doing the higher , but thats the only time i've heard of that happening.

#7 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Yeah if the school had allowed it i was gona go AH Music in 5th year without doin the higher, which i would have been capable of but the school are just hopeless.

#8 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

someone i know sat higher music in 4th year (his mum was head of music at his school, funnily enough) & did advanced higher in 5th year
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#9 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

Can advanced highers be done in college?

#10 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 15 2005, 11:07 PM)
Can advanced highers be done in college?

View Post

Yip

Although you would have to check which individual colleges did what courses.
user posted image

#11 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

My English teacher wanted me to do AH English in 5th year, but we told him where to go.

It probably would've been a better idea seeing as the AH English couse is actually far better than the Higher.

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

i wonder whats the point of doing highers when your 15 etc. Why cant kids just be kids i mean really uni will give you a huge challenge so enjoy playing with your barbies/action men for a couple more years yet

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

I think it's most common with music, at least at my old school. There were a lot of people doing Higher Music early, and one person done AH in 5th year then done all the other optional units the next year.

Sometimes, people just have a flair for a subject (like maths) so it makes sense to do the more demanding exams.

#14 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:53 AM

I've heard of some people doing an Ah without doing the higher, I suppose it would depend which subject you wanted to do.

Totally agree about doing Highers earlier being a bad idea. At the time Standard Grades were stressful enough! Also if you do so many highers in fourth year then it could count as a first sitting which might harm someones chances of getting into a course they want to do at Uni.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

There's a guy in my year doing AH Biology although he never did Higher or Standard Grade. He learned the Higher course over the Summer holidays!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#16 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

If your school is confident that u will past the AH without sitting the Higher, then they have every rite to allow u to take it.

AH Art is definitely a subject which u could get an A in without sitting Higher
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

I would have done Advanced Higher Info Systems, I hate it, but hey I'm good at it!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#18 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:05 PM

did u do Higher Info Systems?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#19 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

Yep, this year though, I'd love to have been acclerated to do AH before I left
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#20 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

crash higher this year? u thnk u could hav done AH without sittin higher?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users