Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Uzbekistan - HSN forum

Uzbekistan

19 replies to this topic

#1 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

After the recent unrest in Uzbekistan and insueing slaughter of Uzbek citizens, why is this not plastered all over our front pages like Tiananmen was? 200 people were killed in China, and it sparked international outrage. Reports of 300 people left dead in the streets and a doctor's report of 500 bodies laid out in a school to be identified are not to be taken lightly.

Could the relatively low media coverage be due to our government's support for this disgraceful autocracy? Why does Mr Blair voice support for such un-democratic regimes? I believe he also urged the protestors in Kyrgystan not to oust their president earlier in the year. Why do the world's most influential countries value stability and oppression over democracy and human rights?

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

i wondered how long it would take for you to bring this up

Isn'ty it obvious why we would prefer stability....because there is no problems when you have stability esp when we are rather busty at the minute in Iraq

We also have invested interests in the country

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

I wish Hitler's 1000 year Reich had been successful, then we wouldn't need to have this discussion.
rolleyes.gif
I mean stability's all that matters, right Dave?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#4 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

yes it is because when you have an uncertain future people start to get nervious and stop investing and stop traveling and that hits the economy and
that cannot be good for anyone int his country or any of our allies

Another point is if an army turned up on the beaches tomorrow morning i dont know we would have the capacity to defend ourselfs so how can we do anything else

#5 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

I can't believe I just saw that! You always claimed not to be a neo-nazi, but now you finally come out of the fascist closet! Why don't you go ahead and tell us of your plans for racial purification right now?!? tongue.gif

How can you talk about investments and the like - one of the main reasons for the unrest was due to economic failure and poverty. But then I do think we have an oil pipeline or something there. So, like Iraq, it is the profit margin which is more important than the people's rights.

But about the media, which was going to be my main point, does no one see similarities between this and Orwell's 1984? biggrin.gif I mean, like they don't want us to know what's happening so they control what we know and how much we know. Even the BBC - the finest and most unbiased news organisation in the world - has little coverage on this compared to Tianamen.

Stability...didn't support stability in Iraq though, did you? Though I guess Bush and Blair's plan involved the Iraqis lying down like subservant American lapdogs though, eh?

#6 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:58 PM

Excellent news! In one of the border towns, the Uzbek citizens have thrown government officials out and have taken control of the town for themselves. An anarcho-syndicalist commune lol!

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

in the months before the Iraq crisis started the Iraqi Anti aircraft weapons were making increasing pot shots are US and GB aircraft so thre was no stabilty as far as we were concerned

#8 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:29 PM

You know my views on that - the US and British planes were invading Iraqi airspace. it's useless to have that same arguement again.

But really Dave, I never thought you really were that high on the fascist-o-meter yourself! You may as well be part of Hitler's Reich, "Begrüßen Sie Hitler! Er ist mein alle Zeit Held! Ich liebe Adolf Hitler!"

tongue.gif

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

its not fascism its a common view this countries governemts have had for the last 200 years

#10 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

Guess who biggrin.gif am back tongue.gif lol
i think maybe the reason it wasnt covered as well may have been the consequences of making is so public... what they may be I'm not sure, but think about it internationally and not personally.

maybe its also the the oil situation, by having bad relations with a country that we have oil running through may not be the best, we need oil, it keeps our economy and people alive,... generating trade and energy etc, i believe more than 200 people would die. Its the greater good scenario, lol.

maybe I'm wrong, but Freedom of speech r0x tongue.gif

lol

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

i agree that we tend to deal with backward extreame religious countries in the middle east for oil and i do think thats a bad thing because we are dependant on them

So, i long for the day we can ditch oil for something we have a lot of like.....alcohol maybe or sunflower oil

#12 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 16 2005, 06:56 PM)
i agree that we tend to deal with backward extreame religious countries in the middle east for oil and i do think thats a bad thing because we are dependant on them

So, i long for the day we can ditch oil for something we have a lot of like.....alcohol maybe or sunflower oil

View Post

HYDROGEN!!!!!!!!!

#13 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Think about it, H2 + 1/2O2 ---> H2O

cleaner than clean, then you you use electrolysis and go all over again

only problem is trying to produce more energy than you use to seperate the Hydrogen from the water.

roll on that day.... 'mon the chemists, lol

#14 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

I'd rather use antimatter collisions to fuel my car. smile.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:48 PM

major problem with hydrogen is well its majorly explosive and unpredictable.

i remember talking about Hydrogen as a fuel of fuel in chem last year and thought then that its too volatile to use

#16 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ May 15 2005, 07:56 PM)
I can't believe I just saw that! You always claimed not to be a neo-nazi, but now you finally come out of the fascist closet! Why don't you go ahead and tell us of your plans for racial purification right now?!? tongue.gif

View Post

laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

It was just a matter of time before the admission.... tongue.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#17 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 16 2005, 07:48 PM)
major problem with hydrogen is well its majorly explosive and unpredictable. 

i remember talking about Hydrogen as a fuel of fuel in chem last year and thought then that its too volatile to use

View Post

apparently that or alcohol, like methanol, would be the best substitute...

#18 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:16 PM

alcohol has great properties as it gives the same power as petrol

#19 jondom

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

Yes, but isn't it toxic?

I'm not really sure, my 8 days of gung-ho dawn 'til dusk chem revision doesn't commence until history is finished with.

#20 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

but methanol can absorb water vapour and corrode engine parts - that would be a disaster. My chem has given me much knowledge

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users