Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help! -gases - HSN forum

Help! -gases

19 replies to this topic

#1 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:About me:<br />Heheh well I'm half jap and half chink ehhe ^^ muh mums jap muh pa is chinese, Im in yr11 doin nerdy subjects ehhe 6 TEE &gt;&lt; ek! I watch the bestest eva flash http://homestarrunner.com ehheh omg sooo good eheheh :P I'm a shorty but i don mind ^^ i like to go out and meet new ppl and for some strange and evil reason muh friends hav suked me into the inevitable JAP CRAZE!!!! ehehhehe so I like naruto ehhe sooooo good heheh I like to play initial D, I like sipping occasionaly on the odd bubble tea, I like to play pool and attempt standard on DDR lol ahha while I watch muh pro 'bros' on it doin heavy like there was no tomolo hehehe....eheh also like to hang in da ct wif muh 2 'bros' and 'sis' ehhe n watchin muh broz breakin in da park ehehhe rockz!! hehe I jus like hanging wif da ppl who rock muh world ^^ ohhhh and I like silvias *drooles* want an s15 [yang]now but I'll settle wif a S13 or S14 ehehhe :P<br /><br />Location:Australia <br /><br />Zodiac Sign:Sagittarius <br /><br />Hometown: Perth, Sth of the river <br /><br />Occupation: stogent <br /><br />Companies: Stefanie &amp; Co. industries <br /><br />Schools:queenies(kindy) R.P.S(primary) WSHS(high school) <br /><br />Affiliations: Xing Shu Clan [ Z ] XD!!!!!!<br /><br />Intrests and Hobbies:<br />Anything goes with me; I like skating, I like mucking round, I like playing pool, I like ddr, I like to just have fun and I like to spend time with muh 'fam' <br /><br />Favorite Books: <br />The Divine Wind, Harry Potter (all of them), Memoirs of a Geisha, Only the heart, The last polar bear, <br /> <br />Favorite Movies: <br />LOTR (all), Walk to remember, the Notebook, Saved, Shaun of the Dead, Mean girls, The butterfly effect, hero, Shark2, pirates of the carribean, erm what else? All the good stuff that make you cry, laugh and love<br /><br />Favorite Music: <br />Dashboard confessional, Trapt, Something For Kate, Switchfoot, System of a down, Namie Amuro, Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, ayu trance, Jay chou, ummm anything I can rock or dance too <br /><br />Favorite TV Shows:<br />Out there, Degrassi, and other quality ABC viewing :P Homestarrunner? Is that a show? It may just be! Oh oh oh and Naruto!!

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Q- A gas of low molecular mass will diffuse through air more rapidly than gas of high molecular mass even though both are at teh same temperatures.

Is it because the density affects the speed? Like if its heavier its slower than a gas with the lighter molecular mass? i think i missed this sess of chem sad.gif

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(stephanieyoong @ May 14 2005, 02:23 PM)
Q- A gas of low molecular mass will diffuse through air more rapidly than gas of high molecular mass even though both are at teh same temperatures.

Is it because the density affects the speed? Like if its heavier its slower than a gas with the lighter molecular mass? i think i missed this sess of chem  sad.gif

View Post

Mmm...I reckon it has to do with the covalent radius as well as the density. You see, when electron shells are added as you go down a period, the atoms overall are larger. This probably affects the rate of diffusion. I don't think I'm right, but who knows? tongue.gif

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:17 PM

Who knows? Not me anyway. I want even taught that! Must have changed the course since last year!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

she aint doing higher she is doing whatever they do in Aussie

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

Thats A-levels I think!
So we were never taught that then, thank god

#6 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

Her point about density does seem to make perfect logical sense though.

#7 Equilibrium

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

Lower the mass means faster the speed because the molecules are lighter and smaller so they are less likely to collide with the other gas molecules. Just as electrons can travel through air more easlily than helium nuclei.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!

#8 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:About me:<br />Heheh well I'm half jap and half chink ehhe ^^ muh mums jap muh pa is chinese, Im in yr11 doin nerdy subjects ehhe 6 TEE &gt;&lt; ek! I watch the bestest eva flash http://homestarrunner.com ehheh omg sooo good eheheh :P I'm a shorty but i don mind ^^ i like to go out and meet new ppl and for some strange and evil reason muh friends hav suked me into the inevitable JAP CRAZE!!!! ehehhehe so I like naruto ehhe sooooo good heheh I like to play initial D, I like sipping occasionaly on the odd bubble tea, I like to play pool and attempt standard on DDR lol ahha while I watch muh pro 'bros' on it doin heavy like there was no tomolo hehehe....eheh also like to hang in da ct wif muh 2 'bros' and 'sis' ehhe n watchin muh broz breakin in da park ehehhe rockz!! hehe I jus like hanging wif da ppl who rock muh world ^^ ohhhh and I like silvias *drooles* want an s15 [yang]now but I'll settle wif a S13 or S14 ehehhe :P<br /><br />Location:Australia <br /><br />Zodiac Sign:Sagittarius <br /><br />Hometown: Perth, Sth of the river <br /><br />Occupation: stogent <br /><br />Companies: Stefanie &amp; Co. industries <br /><br />Schools:queenies(kindy) R.P.S(primary) WSHS(high school) <br /><br />Affiliations: Xing Shu Clan [ Z ] XD!!!!!!<br /><br />Intrests and Hobbies:<br />Anything goes with me; I like skating, I like mucking round, I like playing pool, I like ddr, I like to just have fun and I like to spend time with muh 'fam' <br /><br />Favorite Books: <br />The Divine Wind, Harry Potter (all of them), Memoirs of a Geisha, Only the heart, The last polar bear, <br /> <br />Favorite Movies: <br />LOTR (all), Walk to remember, the Notebook, Saved, Shaun of the Dead, Mean girls, The butterfly effect, hero, Shark2, pirates of the carribean, erm what else? All the good stuff that make you cry, laugh and love<br /><br />Favorite Music: <br />Dashboard confessional, Trapt, Something For Kate, Switchfoot, System of a down, Namie Amuro, Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, ayu trance, Jay chou, ummm anything I can rock or dance too <br /><br />Favorite TV Shows:<br />Out there, Degrassi, and other quality ABC viewing :P Homestarrunner? Is that a show? It may just be! Oh oh oh and Naruto!!

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:56 AM

>< hmm i tried lookin in mt text but ti doesnt acctually say anything bout the molecular mass n stuff ><

#9 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:55 AM

I looked at my textbook for AH chemistry and there is a big section on this I'll type up some notes later today.

I think you are interested in Graham's Law of gaseous diffusion and effusion?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#10 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

mayb, i jus need to relate the ansa to the kinetic theory but i cant see a connection. is it something to do wif the collisions?

#11 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

i checked out that guy's gas law but it doesnt say anything about molecular mass n such.. here the link if u want it

http://www.scientia.org/cadonline/Chemistr...netictheory.ASP

its at the bottom. but i dont get how this law relates to the kinetic theory...

#12 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:17 AM

Basically density and mass both affect speed.

The rate can be considered as a measure of the speed:

Relationship between rate and density:

user posted image

Relationship between mass and density:

user posted image

Where M is the molar mass.

Remember that user posted image

M - Molar mass, V - molar volume
user posted image

#13 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:19 AM

but how does the kinetic theory come into all of this :S im all muddled up ><

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

Hmmm... I found this, maybe it'll help you.

kinetic theory of gases: an explanation of why gases obey the gas laws. The theory is based on a model of an ideal gas. The assumptions are that:
  • a gas consists of molecules in rapid, random motion.
  • the volume of the molecules can be neglected in comparison with the total volume of gas
  • the molecules do not attract each other (no intermolecular forces)
  • the collisions with the walls of any container are perfectly elastic.

By applying Newton's laws of motion and then assuming that the average kinetic energy of molecules is proportional to temperature, it is possible to derive the ideal gas equation from this model.

The model helps to explain why real gases deviate from ideal gas behaviour.

The model of gas molecules in rapid random motion underlies the theories of reaction kinetics and chemical equilibrium.

#15 Equilibrium

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

happy.gif smaller the molecule, the less likely its molecules will collide with air molecules so it will diffuse through the air faster.
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!

#16 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 14 2005, 03:23 PM)
she aint doing higher she is doing whatever they do in Aussie

View Post

why she on a Higher Still Notes website then huh.gif

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

Stop spamming please, see that warn level bar, I can put that up you know

#18 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 18 2005, 07:49 PM)
Stop spamming please, see that warn level bar, I can put that up you know

View Post

Sorry, who is spamming?
user posted image

#19 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Moral Fabric, but its ok he's stopped now. It wasnt on this thread, just in general

#20 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:03 AM

hehe thanx guys! ^^ i think i got it now ^^ cheers all

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users