Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What Can't You Do? - HSN forum

What Can't You Do?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

Hey

So accounts is a small subject. Therefore there is limited amount of help to be gained on the internet. If you have a ny problems, lets have them posted up here. Hopefully someone can refer you to booklets, past paper answers or give you the answers yourself.

First off, is there any easier way to remember the Goodwill and Revaluation accounts for Partnerships? I know most of everything else, just these two are most likely to come up!

#2 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

What is service costing? I haven't studied yet man please tell me
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#3 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

Opportunity Costs.

Hate them and we spent less than a period on them.

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:57 PM

What is service costing?

#5 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:37 PM

Discogirl are you actually studying accounts yet you haven't been taught service costing? Its new this year and likely to be the compulsory 50-marker in management!

#6 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:58 AM

I don't get how this is so likely? Just because it was the compulsory question in the SQP! If anything I'm not expecting it to come up! But I'll be revising it anyway.

Discogirl17, I can't help you there because I haven't revised it yet. It also goes under the name of "Operations Costing". Does anyone have time to scan some booklets for her?

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Oh operations costing, no I know what that is. Thanx.

#8 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:17 PM

wikked-dfc - I've thought about this SQP business with Service Costing and because the topic was taken out back in the 80's, and it is back in this year they (The SQA) have very little to show for the topic besides booklets that have been distributed and the SQP example, which needed to be the biggest question as it is really the only SQA question we have on it. Clubs have been in and out of the exam for years and therefore we have stuff from it.

EDIT: I stand corrected. It is/was an Advanced Higher topic and is used in Higher now, hence its difficulty. I have three questions on it all together, therefore I am further doubting it'll be the top question in managerial. Think about it. How many schools actually do Adv Higher accounts? I know mine doesn't. If they don't then where are they going to get materials from to teach the topic extensively enough. Furthermore, when revising it, we have three questions, with one being in the Specimen Paper. How can it come up as the 50-marker when we haven't been able to study it very much. I am almost certain it'll be in the exam though as a 40 marker.

Me and my logical thinking! laugh.gif

#9 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

I still think it will be in somewhere it may not be compulsory, although I hope it is, so there is another example of it at higher level for the next couple of years to use as practise. We spent weeks doing service costing and we have four or five past paper questions on it and a book of about 20 questions that are quite good. I don't really find it hard though compared to BEP and Process costing. It seems to be a straight forwar question where you can get loads of marks for having common sense.

#10 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

Very true, but you really gotta know it all to pass an Accounts exam these days. You are so much more likely to have EVERYTHING in there, especially in the financial section. I am sure of it being a choice question now. But I can't think of what could be the compulsory. I'm just hoping to God not Process Costing or Job Costing. I'd die!!! C'mon Stock! lol

#11 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:28 PM

IMO service costing is the only part of Management which could have a 50 mark question on its own. If not it'l be a mixture of say Overheads and job cost statements or Stock and JOb Costing. Unless Production and Cash budgets. I forgot about them they are big questions which could be 50 pretty simple marks.

#12 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:13 PM

That'd be incredible if that came up. Cash Budgets really hasn't got too much harder since Standard grade. You've only got your Sales + Production budgets, then the Standard Grade stuff.

#13 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

I wouldn't mind JOb Costing just like Service Costing IMO as in that all you really have to do is copy out numbers and add them up. We got Overhead analysis and two job Cost statements in the prelim and they got me an easy 50/50 in the compulsory management question but I'm now sure it'll be Service or Budgets but since it is the first year the exam won't as testing as previous ones(Hopefully)

#14 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:24 AM

lol, we seem to constantly have differing opinions! I am of the opinion that we will get a very tough exam. Either way, with a little more revision this morning, I'll be sorted for an A providing the right topics come up. Highers depend far too much on luck!

Anyway, good luck to you all! Discogirl17, wikked-dfc, Kevin and anyone else sitting it this afternoon! Check back here and let us know how you got on.

#15 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Yep I'm going into school at 11am to get in some late revision so hopefuly we all get questions to suit us so GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! biggrin.gif and you all have to come on and share your answers afterwards.

#16 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(wikked-dfc @ May 16 2005, 09:14 AM)
Yep I'm going into school at 11am to get in some late revision so hopefuly we all get questions to suit us so GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!  biggrin.gif and you all have to come on and share your answers afterwards.

View Post

thanks, i definately needed it, lol

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

God, I'm gutted. I was doing crash higher so this talk of standard grade didnt help. I got an A in the prelim, but I dont think I will have got that in the exam. I'm doing accounting at uni though and have been accepted so it really doesnt matter.

#18 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Well, i love music, I play guitar as a pass time and muck about on drums, I like funk, punk, rock etc etc the list goes on. <br />Hopefully going to Uni this year, Strathclyde Business School, look out for me =P<br />what other interests,... hmm... got lots, but cant remember =D.... later

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 17 2005, 09:16 PM)
God, I'm gutted. I was doing crash higher so this talk of standard grade didnt help. I got an A in the prelim, but I dont think I will have got that in the exam. I'm doing accounting at uni though and have been accepted so it really doesnt matter.

View Post

s'alrite for some, i need a ABBBC to get into Strathclyde Business School to study business!!

#19 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

Thats not that hard. I'm sure you'll be ok.

#20 Moral Fabric

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 18 2005, 07:18 PM)
Thats not that hard. I'm sure you'll be ok.

View Post

it is for me, I'm not the brightest something in the,....something smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users