Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Essays in the Exam - HSN forum

Essays in the Exam

11 replies to this topic

#1 kirsty1988

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Relationships<br />Friendships<br />Food<br />XBOX!<br />Dancing my own way

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

What do you think are the most likely essays to come up?
Kirsty Worsty

#2 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

Well according to my teacher, she said that plant growth is a subject which might come up - so I'm paying particular attention to that. Plus, what I am doing is going through the past papers and instead of writing essays, I am learning the answer scheme for pretty much all of the questions. The questions are pretty much the same but are changed slightly each year.

#3 cork screw

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

scholar's pretty good for the marking schemes. smile.gif

Just remember to answer the question, and don't go off in a tangent!

Definitely wouldn't be happy doing a essay on meiosis or Protein synthesis! sad.gif

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

The paper was very fair last year. biggrin.gif

There's a book with all the possible essays in - can't remember the name though.

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(cork screw @ May 13 2005, 06:46 PM)
Definitely wouldn't be happy doing a essay on meiosis or Protein synthesis!  sad.gif

View Post

Meiosis was in the essays last year so it shouldn't come up again this year, although you never know!

Protein synthesis isn't too bad surely?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:56 AM

My bio teacher had looked at recent past essay questions and gave some suggestions to what could come up.

1. Aerobic respiration and comparing anaerobic and aerobic in animals (EDIT: Should say 'Aerobic respiration and compare anaerobic respiration in plants and animals)
2. Photosynthesis - photolyis, carbon fixation, structure of chloroplasts
3. Succession
4. Plants and how they are able to defend themselves
5. Water balance in kangaroo rat and fish
6. Protein synthesis
7. Homesasis - blood ugar, ADH etc
8. Role of IAA in plant growth, differntiantion of meristem tisue to xylem and phloem
9. The effects of chmical on growth - i.e minerals, vit D, calcium, etc
10. Finding food in animals - optimal foraging, territorial behaviour, cooperative hunting.

Please note that the above possibilities do not necessarily mean anything and the fact is, anything can come up in the course. However, the above is an 'educated guess' from my teacher who found some of the above topics not coming up recently. So, please, the above is just possibility

#7 cork screw

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

I think i would be snookered if i had to write on number on IAA or the the water balance!

I think we had to do our own notes on that. dry.gif

What would you write on the the 1st question?

#8 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

Oops. I apologise biggrin.gif I wrote it down wrong. That is maybe why it confusd you - it didn't really make sense I have edited the post.

For the first question:

a) chemistry of aerobic repiration - glycolysis, Krebs cycle, Cytochrome system
b) Differences in anaerobic resp. in plants and animals: plants -> ethanol and carbon dioxide produced. In animals -> lactic acid produced. You could also talk about anaerobic resp. in general. E.g only glycolysis takes place, therefore only gain of 2 ATP

Even I had to learn IAA and the whole hormone topic:

IAA is an auxin which are hormones whcih promote the growth of plants (i.e. cell division, elongation, differentiation)

High IAA:

Stimulates shoots (shoots -> up -> i.e stimulated growth)
Inhibits roots (roots -> down -> i.e inhibited growth)
Inhibits lateral buds
Stimulates fruit growth

Low IAA:

promotes leaf fall

(Note. Inhibits does not mean that the plants will become smaller, but that it will not grow as much as the control plant)

Cork screw, did you try to use the Torrance book to try and revise it? I generally find this book difficult to revise with and that is why it is a course book. The problem is, it's written in paragraphs which maker harder to take things in. The chemcord book is GREAT. It condenses everything without compromising course coverage.

#9 cork screw

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

Thanks!! smile.gif

Yes, that big heavy plonker of a book - torrence!

Most of the info in that is completely unasked for!! I spent ages poring over every page - found to my dismay that the book goes over the requirements!!

Too late now...i'm going to have to have to go in cold turley. sad.gif

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

The chemcord revision book is great for Biology.

You can buy it from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...1977766-5893422

#11 cork screw

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

thanks, i don't think it'll come on time.

#12 UAE_SOUL

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

thanks for suggestions to what could come up

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users