Exam. Close Reading. Final question. Poll.

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Which passage did you choose? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Which passage did you choose?

1. Passage 1 (24 votes [40.68%])

Percentage of vote: 40.68%

2. Passage 2 (35 votes [59.32%])

Percentage of vote: 59.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

I discredited the mp when he refered to himself sarcastically using an exaggeration, then stating that he was one of those people. I can't really see why he said that about himself though...
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#22 Chünz

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

I said passage 1 although I did make reference to passage 2 as it told you to do so.

I chose passage 1 mainly because of the rhetorical questions separated by semi-colons. They would make the reader consider the situation of the human race.

#23 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

I chose passage 2 because it was more to the point and had a more gripping start. I also chore P2 because it had dialogue from about 3 different people (MP. university guy and Jay Tate) who had different viewpoints

#24 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

I picked passage two.

I said something about the writer in passage one's views being biased as he did not include opinions of others. I wrote that in passage two, the writer was less biased in his views, drawing in a conclusion from other sources to present a less biased view.

I hope that kind of answer will get me the marks I want.

#25 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

I picked Passage 1 as it looked at the varying implications if a comet hit earth (ie. destruction of various species, floods/tsunami's, possible4 introduction of new species) and I said that Passage 2 could be less creditable as it is in a tabloid and the majority of it was based on opinions and it only focused on the destruction of the human race and not other implications which could also affect humans.

#26 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:38 PM

I don't think you can judge the piece as being lower quality because it comes from a tabloid, becasue the quality is judged from the language used, not the sources. So, whether or not the poem came from a tabloid does not necessarily mean it is bad, unless you had said the quality of writing is lower even though I think they both used good language.

Actually, I just read what you said Scott and you said "could be less creditable", so that is maybe a good point.

#27 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:31 PM

I chose passage 1 and mentioned both ideas and style.

Ideas
The general idea of passage one was the comets are deadly and we should do something. The idea of passage 2 was that we were all going to die a horrible death and was very sensationalist.

Style
Passage 1 had questions to challenge the reader and make them think. Passage 2 used imagery to scare the reader about what could happen without making them consider it properly.

I used to be crap at the evaluation questions (in the prelim I think I got 0 marks for all of them) but I know how to do them after reading a book called "How to pass higher english".
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#28 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

Yes that is a good answer, you might get 4/4 or maybe 3/4. The only thing I would have added was your reaction to the ideas. eg ....comets are deadly and we should do something, really made you think as you engaged more and were more scared of this than the sensationalist statements made in Passage 2. Very good answer KhalidBoussouara.

I've still got it, I didnt think I had but I have!
Evil people trying to steal my job!

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#29 Kirsty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

I said passage two because it used extremes to describe the effect an asteroid impact would have on earth - use of extreme words etc - and used the ideas and opinions of experts etc

#30 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 15 2005, 10:34 AM)
Yes that is a good answer

Thanks for that. I forgot to mention that after I mentioned ideas and style I also said that I personally felt that passage 2 made me think more about the problem. I'm not expecting full marks but I'm glad I got the general idea of what I was meant to do.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#31 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

Yep, good for you

#32 chocolate limes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:54 PM

am startin to panic slightly now!!!

sad.gif
[SIZE=14][SIZE=7][font=Impact]Chocolate Limes

#33 Punkie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Music, psychology, hugs... Guitars... stuff... :)

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

I did passage one, just because it seemed to have a better way of coming across to me... I dunno, I found the 2nd one very annoying to read... like I dunno... but I did. biggrin.gif

#34 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(chocolate limes @ May 16 2005, 07:54 PM)
am startin to panic slightly now!!!

sad.gif

View Post

Don't panick, I panicked but got an A!

#35 jullio dinero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

i put passage 1 coz it was longer and there was more stuff to write about

#36 ferg

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:driving, music, architecture

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:32 PM

I did passage 2 because it was more direct, and told you of the implications of comet impact. Now I think I should have picked passage 1 as p2 was from a tabloid!!

I need to speak to my teacher bcos he is a SQA marker for some reassurance!

#37 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

Be very nice to him and tell him people across Scotland are depending on him to be a bit lenient with the marking!

#38 burno483

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

I said passage 2 coz it was funnier. Passage 1 was full of scientific pish!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users