Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Irony as an example of humour - HSN forum

Irony as an example of humour

36 replies to this topic

#1 drew_jarvie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

I just aswered question 14 in poetry:

14. Choose a poem in which humour (for example satire, wit, or irony) plays a significant part.

Show how the poet make the poem humorous and discuss how important the humour is to the underlying message of the poem.

I did it on "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost, and commented on how there is a lot of irony in it. However, when it says "how the poet makes it humorous can (since I chose irony) the word ironic be put in its place as irony is an example of humour? Or did I have to show how the irony made the poem humorous as in "funny haha". Cheers in advance.

#2 daveyboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

This is also an area of concern for me.....

I wrote about "A Study Of Reading Habits" by Philip Larkin and about the irony of the character with particular reference to the last stanza and hardly at all about the poem being funny hahaha because..... well I don't think it is.

#3 ColinAllardyce

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Am not sure drew jarvie. One of my critical essays went to pot so the only thing we can do is rely on the chant HOKY V.G?

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

I think irony as an example of humour would be referring to something along the lines of the bookmakers in the end of passage 2.

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

Well I found this in the marking instructions last year so you should be ok.
"Accept, within reason, the candidate’s definition of a “love poem”."
So they should also have the same line in this years marking instructions substituting the word love with the word "humorous".
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#6 drew_jarvie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

Ok thanks a lot, it was just a cause for concern. Hope the marker can see where im coming from. Cheers.

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

See if you get a crap mark because the marker doesnt understand where you're coming from get back on this and we're sending a petition like last year! They listen to that kinda thing!

#8 ColinAllardyce

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

Markers....how'd we know they are even doing the job correctly...we dont even get to see how they marked our paper...one thing ill never understand

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

Exactly, just if you get bad marks do come back on and tell us, we'll do something about it

#10 drew_jarvie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

Lol! Well, the thing is that I think I did pretty well in the close reading and my other essay was alright. I got 38, 20, 21 in the prelim and was hoping for something similar, so if I do end up with a really bad mark it will probs be that essay.

#11 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

there is a tiny chance your paper will not be marker properly

If you dont get what was estimated then you can appeal

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

I told you its not your fault if you get a bad mark for that so do come back and tell us, Jim'll fix it! Well not Jim actually I will! lol

#13 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:34 PM

They say that candidates improve their mark by 10% between the prelim and the final exam, so if they were appealing for you would they add 10% to your prelim mark or what?

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

No they just take your prelim mark!

#15 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:41 PM

They would just use your prelim paper(s), NABs, and any other papers you did under exam conditions at school.
It would definitely not be acceptable for them to add 10% on to your prelim mark under the assumption that you should have been awarded that much more in the final exam.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#16 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

I didn't think they did either, my friend had to leave halfway through the exam due to illness and she thought 10% would be added to her prelim mark. Poor girl, maybe I won't say anythignt hen!

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:44 PM

Yep, what bred said. Although I appealed and actually had no real timed evidence for an A but I got it, I had loads of A home essays and only got 63% in my prelim.
For everyone's information an A last year was 64%

#18 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Wow,I didn't realise that, I thought an A would have been around the 75% mark! Based on this year's paper what do you think the cut-offs might be?

#19 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Perhaps in the region of 64-67%. I think its likely to be higher than last years but not too much.

#20 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Well if I don't get an A I won't be too disappointed as I don't really expect to but that's given me a bit more hope. I didn't realise that was the ballpark region, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users