Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did you all find it? - HSN forum

How did you all find it?

120 replies to this topic

#1 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

What did you think of the paper this year?

I thought the close reading one was quite good really, I found it easy enough to answer the questions, and the Critical Essay paper was pretty good too - I did questions 5 and 15, on George Orwell's "1984" and Sylvia Plath's "Daddy".

I kind of twisted question 15 quite a bit but I think it went OK. Even if it hasn't it's all done now.

What did you think?

#2 Equilibrium

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

badness
If not to heaven, then hand in hand to hell!

#3 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Close Reading was good but hardly any of the Critical Essays fit the texts I had studied (about 8 or 9 of them) were good for the essays. I had to twist my answer to fit the question. If it's a similar marking structure to last year then I think I may scrape an B.

#4 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

Close Reading was easy, but it lacked people's opinions, mostly factual... it was hard to concentrate with just answering questions on facts.
Noone could do the poetry questions without twisting their answer a fair bit.
The drama questions however were good enough, and I shouldn't complain at the prose.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#5 Broken Fairy Wings

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:writers: Francesca Lia Block, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Sylvia Plath, Carol Lee, JD Salinger, Jeffrey Eugenides, Virginia Woolf..<br /><br />music: Lisa Marie Presley, Michael Jackson, Katy Rose, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fiona Apple, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Delirious?, Nirvana, Silverchair, Bob Dylan, Blondie, Elliott Smith, Joss Stone, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, Hanson, HIM, The Beach Boys, Jewel, Third Day, Kelly Osbourne, Liz Phair, Mandy Moore, Maria Mena, The Velvet Underground, Nico, Jem, KT Tunstall, Jeff Buckley, Jewel, The Clash, Jamison Parker, Kryah, Death Cab For Cutie, Melissa Etheridge, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Elvis Presley, White Stripes, Speedway, Who Will Miss Mary, PJ Harvey..<br /><br />movies: White Oleander, Thirteen, Donnie Darko, Finding Neverland, Lost In Translation, Peter Pan, The Virgin Suicides, Labyrinth, Winning London, A Walk To Remember, Ghost World, The Hours, Igby Goes Down, Romeo &amp; Juliet, Don't Say A Word, Saved!, Hotel Rwanda, Dear Frankie, Song For A Raggy Boy..<br /><br />Other Stuff: fairies, glitter, snow, dancing in the rain, swimming, the beach, nature, Mary Kate &amp; Ashley, Home &amp; Away, writing, poetry, wearing fairy wings, taking photos, making icons, Evan Rachel Wood..

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

Close reading i think i did reasonably well on ...Critical Essays are another matter entirely. And to the person up there ^^ who studied Sylvia Plath, i'm jealous, lol.
Peace, <3 & fairy dust
-Laura, exoh!

It’s not that I literally think I’m a faerie. It’s just that I feel so different from most people. And this idea of a race living underground in caverns, spending all their days dancing and playing the fiddle and eating flowers and reciting poetry and sharing their dreams, that to me sounds much more real than the way people live in this world, hating and fighting and wanting and hurting. - FLB

Imagine that I can't be comforted at all , in pieces I went from crawling into a ball. Evidence, it's in my breathing every day, less and less and less. Can you hear me now, cause I'm not doing fine, I'm drowning in my mind again - LisaMariePresley

#6 david__taylor

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hey, I thought it was ok. The close reading wasn't too bad, I porbably got around the 30 mark. And for the critical essays: I thought I did a good one on poetry with "Hotel Room, 12th Floor" on the question about setting, and in drama i did othello seeking the truth (Q1) which wasn't so good.

#7 Smiler251

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:44 PM

Yeah the poetry options were pretty rubbish. I couldn't even twist any of the poems I knew to fit, so I used my back-up which was a play. Close Reading was pretty good, makes a change for me! smile.gif

#8 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Broken Fairy Wings @ May 13 2005, 01:28 PM)
And to the person up there ^^ who studied Sylvia Plath, i'm jealous, lol.

View Post

Heh, why?

Now that I look over the Close Reading I'm not so sure I did that well on the questions on passage 2 and thefinal question, by that point I was rushing a wee bit! Ah well. I'm hoping for a B, we will see smile.gif

#9 wikked-dfc

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:47 PM

The close reading was really boring and had too many U questions in my opinion.

The critical essays-OMG-I did To Kill a Mockingbird for the Narrative technique which is a really goos question except it was the part of the book I studied least so I made up a fair bit. Then I did the setting poetry question on Visiting Hour which went ok except that I went really indepth for the whole poem then I ws getting to the last verse when the invigilator said 5 minutes so I ended up rushing through the last bit and the conclusion.

I really hope I passed but I think I'm gonna have to rely on low pass marks.

#10 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:51 PM

I've had a look at the paper you all sat this morning, close reading looks pretty good. I liked the style of the passages and the questions were pretty good over all I think. Also nearly 1/2 the marks were U questions which is a good sign.

Writing looks a bit harder, although I think it fits the texts I did last year better than the 2004 paper.

Good luck to everyone who sat it today.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#11 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

21 marks: U
That was incredible.
12 four mark questions.
1 five mark (final question)
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#12 Broken Fairy Wings

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:writers: Francesca Lia Block, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Sylvia Plath, Carol Lee, JD Salinger, Jeffrey Eugenides, Virginia Woolf..<br /><br />music: Lisa Marie Presley, Michael Jackson, Katy Rose, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fiona Apple, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Delirious?, Nirvana, Silverchair, Bob Dylan, Blondie, Elliott Smith, Joss Stone, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, Hanson, HIM, The Beach Boys, Jewel, Third Day, Kelly Osbourne, Liz Phair, Mandy Moore, Maria Mena, The Velvet Underground, Nico, Jem, KT Tunstall, Jeff Buckley, Jewel, The Clash, Jamison Parker, Kryah, Death Cab For Cutie, Melissa Etheridge, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Elvis Presley, White Stripes, Speedway, Who Will Miss Mary, PJ Harvey..<br /><br />movies: White Oleander, Thirteen, Donnie Darko, Finding Neverland, Lost In Translation, Peter Pan, The Virgin Suicides, Labyrinth, Winning London, A Walk To Remember, Ghost World, The Hours, Igby Goes Down, Romeo &amp; Juliet, Don't Say A Word, Saved!, Hotel Rwanda, Dear Frankie, Song For A Raggy Boy..<br /><br />Other Stuff: fairies, glitter, snow, dancing in the rain, swimming, the beach, nature, Mary Kate &amp; Ashley, Home &amp; Away, writing, poetry, wearing fairy wings, taking photos, making icons, Evan Rachel Wood..

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ May 13 2005, 12:45 PM)

View Post

Heh, why?

View Post

because she's one of my favourite writers ever ever ever & my English teacher hasn't even read any of her work =/
Peace, <3 & fairy dust
-Laura, exoh!

It’s not that I literally think I’m a faerie. It’s just that I feel so different from most people. And this idea of a race living underground in caverns, spending all their days dancing and playing the fiddle and eating flowers and reciting poetry and sharing their dreams, that to me sounds much more real than the way people live in this world, hating and fighting and wanting and hurting. - FLB

Imagine that I can't be comforted at all , in pieces I went from crawling into a ball. Evidence, it's in my breathing every day, less and less and less. Can you hear me now, cause I'm not doing fine, I'm drowning in my mind again - LisaMariePresley

#13 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

The Close Reading went well.......then I opened the Essays paper. ohmy.gif sad.gif unsure.gif

O Dear God!!!!!! blink.gif
There goes my teacher's prediction of an A! laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

I did Q2 for Death of a Salesman (youth vs age) and Q13 (relevance to teenagers) for Assisi. wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#14 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Broken Fairy Wings @ May 13 2005, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ May 13 2005, 12:45 PM)

View Post

Heh, why?

View Post

because she's one of my favourite writers ever ever ever & my English teacher hasn't even read any of her work =/

View Post

I really liked the poems we did by her. Absolutely full of imagery, great to write on laugh.gif

#15 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Good close reading, very good. Hopefully it'll boost my mark up enough. Two contrived essays, one for Q8 and the other for Q15. For Q15 I used the horses. That one might be ok. Hopefully laugh.gif

#16 ferg

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:driving, music, architecture

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:31 PM

Close reading was pretty good (i like lots of 2 mark questions).

Poetry questions were really bad, i couldn't twist it for Daddy. Prose question was good but I mucked up my drama essay for A Streetcar Named Desire. Should scrape a C, just depends on the marker of my essays.

#17 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

Ooh, you did Daddy too....like I said I twisted question 15 about the bauty of the writing and said that it showed a sad beauty throughout the poem, stuff like that.

#18 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Close reading was brilliant although I missed about 8 marks of analysis because I didn't have enough time to finish them/go back and complete them. Although I am pleased with what I did for the last question.

I have a question though. There is a gap of about 2 blank pages before the second last and last question. Is it possible the marker would forget those questions or something as they might not see it at first?

The essay questions were shocking. Although I feel I wrote reasonably good essays for question 8 and 12 which fitted the texts I had done perfectly.

I expect to get a B (I really need a B for medicine).
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

#19 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(KhalidBoussouara @ May 13 2005, 02:38 PM)
I have a question though. There is a gap of about 2 blank pages before the second last and last question. Is it possible the marker would forget those questions or something as they might not see it at first?

View Post

Really confused by this - in both of my papers there are not gaps between the questions - close reading goes from 1 - 16, and critical essay has 4 in each section, except Prose which has 7...

#20 KhalidBoussouara

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hey this is weird cause I've not been here in ages. Been busy with uni and all that. Currently in second year of uni studying medicine. But you probably already knew that anyways.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE(JenniferSHS @ May 13 2005, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE(KhalidBoussouara @ May 13 2005, 02:38 PM)

View Post

Really confused by this - in both of my papers there are not gaps between the questions - close reading goes from 1 - 16, and critical essay has 4 in each section, except Prose which has 7...

View Post

What I mean is in my answer sheet I left 2 blank pages in between my answers to question 12 and 15 (no time to get 13 and 14 done well). Is the marker likely to miss out question 15 and 16. I intended to go back but didn't have time.
MSN: khalid@boussouara.co.uk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users