Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Quotes - HSN forum

Quotes

11 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

How many quotes have you memorised for each text that you're studying for tomorrow?

I'm doing both Death of a Salesman and The Cone-Gatherers and have got about 20 for CG and about 12 for DOAS unsure.gif

For The Cone Gatherers i've tried to focus on 3 key ideas - them of Evil, conflict between evil and innocence, and the symbol of the doll, for which iv got about 7 quotes each.

For Death of a Salesman i've focused on a turning point (2 bad interviews), conflict between Biff and Willy, the theme of the American Dream (how it is flaud) and the contrast between Happy and Biff - Dreamers and Realists. For each of these i'm using pretty much the same quotes......

Does anyone have a list of quotes they're using for each of these texts, i'd be happy to provide some if anyone's stuck?? (Quite late i know) - i'm just uncertain as to how many would be useful to remember.

#2 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

I have hardly any quotes at all for Death of a Salesman, i'm really hoping not to have to do that tomorrow blink.gif

I think one good quote is: -

" Biff: And I never got anywhere because you blew me so full of hot air that I could never stand taking orders from anybody! Thats whose fault it is."

As it is basically the first time Biff stands up to Willy and Willy realises alot of the things he's tried to do in his life and dictate to his children, aren't what fate had in store for them...this just before he commits suicide.

Sorry it's not much, but as I say, I have a very small amount of quotes for this. biggrin.gif

#3 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Phoenix you have definately got enough quotes!
I memorised almost whole short story but it was only 3 pages and I'd done it twice, for my novel I only had about 8 quotes and for my play the same.
You definately have enough!

P.S Its flawed ie has a flaw and not "flaud"
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 12 2005, 08:56 PM)
You definately have enough!

P.S Its flawed ie has a flaw and not "flaud"

View Post

It's also definitely not definately. wink.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:46 PM

Typo man, a typing error. Ok?

#6 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

You did do it twice in the one post, but I believe ya!
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

hellt hats nothing in my english prelim i spelt poem "peom" in To a Moose essay. So thats about 20-25 occurences of peom then

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

LOL! I think there should be more emphasis on proper grammar and spelling in the Higher English exam.

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

So, to emphasise

DO THE OPPOSITE OF ME

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 cork screw

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(bred @ May 12 2005, 09:54 PM)
LOL! I think there should be more emphasis on proper grammar and spelling in the Higher English exam.

View Post

smile.gif i'd probably be a the bottom of the class by now if it was based on that.

#11 Phoenix

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

You know what super_diva........thank you so much, i never even had that quote and it's probably one of the most important in the play, i can't believe i omitted it ohmy.gif

I've just written down all the quotes i can remember from each item and ended up with 25 for the Cone Gatherers (well, about 17 proper ones - other's just being one or two-worded) and 11 very good ones for Death of a salesman.

Oh, and sorry that this tpoic* has turned into a grammer battle tongue.gif

*meant it laugh.gif

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:30 PM

Its grammar not grammer but yeh!
Anyway I am tired, how many posts have I had to answer tonight, I've also just spent the last 30 minutes on the phone to a friend calming them down, I cant get it right all the time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users