Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How hard will this years maths paper/exam be? - HSN forum

How hard will this years maths paper/exam be?

75 replies to this topic

#1 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

Im repeating maths this year and im just wondering if you guys think this years exam/paper will be more difficult than last years (2004)

Will it be to the same standard as pastpapers from the last 4 years?

My teacher said it may be harder because new people made up this years maths paper/exam.........is this true?
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#2 Secluded Fears

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

I'm not sure if new people made this year's exam or not. A lot of people found the 2004 paper easier than the previous years, so I reckon they'll make it harder again this year, roughly around the same difficulty as the 2000-2003 papers. Just a guess though. biggrin.gif

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

yip it wont be any easer put it that way

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:08 PM

so theres really no chance of it being HARDER than the past few years (excluding 2004)?
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#5 Secluded Fears

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:17 PM

Err, it could possibly be harder, no way of telling really. But the 2004 certainly was EASIER than the previous exams, so I dont see why this year it can't get harder.

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

The examiners would have made this years exam before the 2004 exam was even sat, so they wouldn't have known that people found the 2004 exam, on the whole, easy. They usually make each years exam a couple of years before, you see.

But you can probably assume that the 2005 exam will be harder than last years, since that's been the easiest paper they've made ever, I think.

#7 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(ally @ May 10 2005, 04:18 PM)
The examiners would have made this years exam before the 2004 exam was even sat, so they wouldn't have known that people found the 2004 exam, on the whole, easy. They usually make each years exam a couple of years before, you see.

But you can probably assume that the 2005 exam will be harder than last years, since that's been the easiest paper they've made ever, I think.

View Post

fuk sake.....trust me to fuk up maths on the easiest year/paper in maths history mad.gif

u see the thing is i understand maths better now doing it a second time. Some people just take time to get to know things and i think thats me.

Last year i wasnt confident on maths atall but looking bak at the paper now it seems very managable but im just pissed of that i couldnt take that oppertunity last year sad.gif

Oh well i'll try my hardest in this paper. I suppose thats why the cut off for a B in last years paper was 63%. Will this years cut off be lower if the paper is harder?

(apparently the SG credit was the hardest in 5 years , dunno if that may be related to the forcoming higher 2005 paper)
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(tupacshakur @ May 10 2005, 05:31 PM)
Oh well i'll try my hardest in this paper. I suppose thats why the cut off for a B in last years paper was 63%. Will this years cut off be lower if the paper is harder?

View Post

It's likely. Here is what the SQA say in relation to deteremining the cut-offs:

While SQA aims to set examinations and create mark schemes which will allow a competent candidate to score a minimum 50% of the available marks (notional passmark) and a very well-prepared, very competent candidate to score at least 70%, it is almost impossible to get the standard absolutely on target
every year, in every subject and level
• Each year we therefore hold a passmark meeting for each subject at each level where we bring together all the information available (statistical and judgmental). The Principal Assessor and SQA Qualifications Manager meet with the relevant SQA Business Manager and Statistician to discuss the evidence and make
decisions. The meetings are chaired by members of the senior management team at SQA
• We adjust the passmark downwards if there is evidence that we have set a slightly more demanding exam than usual, allowing the pass rate to be unaffected by this circumstance
• We adjust the passmark upwards if there is evidence that we have set a slightly less demanding exam than usual, allowing the pass rate to be unaffected by this circumstance
• Where the standard appears to be very similar to previous years, we maintain similar grade boundaries
• An exam paper at a particular level in a subject in one year tends to have a marginally different set of grade boundaries from exam papers in that subject at that level in other years. This is because the particular
questions are different. This is also the case for exams set in centres. And just because SQA has altered a boundary in a particular year in say Higher Chemistry does not mean that centres should necessarily alter boundaries in their prelim exam in Higher Chemistry. The two are not that closely related as they do not
contain identical questions
• Our main aim is to be fair to candidates across all subjects and all levels and maintain standards across the years, even as syllabuses evolve and change

#9 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:38 PM

(apparently the SG credit was the hardest in 5 years , dunno if that may be related to the forcoming higher 2005 paper)

View Post

Not too sure about that. They have different people setting the exam for H and S.G, I think.

#10 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE(ally @ May 10 2005, 04:38 PM)

View Post

Not too sure about that. They have different people setting the exam for H and S.G, I think.

View Post

orite thats just what my teacher said.

theres bound to be optimisation in this paper. I cant stand it!
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#11 Mr H

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(tupacshakur @ May 10 2005, 04:31 PM)
I would agree with that. Many of the RE questions were particularly demanding and gave a weaker student slim chance of gaining marks in each. However, IMHO the General exam was the most straightforward I have seen in my career (8 years). In contrast, last years Credit exam was pretty fair but the General very tough for a less than strong candidate. Last years Higher exam was also very straightforward, as you agree. Almost every question was of a type that would have been familiar to anyone who had worked through the textbooks and past papers thoroughly.

Good luck for this year !!

H tends 2 infinity

---------------------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

#12 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

how much percentage of the questions in the paper are roughly aimed at C level candidates?

someone said that 80% of last years paper (2004) was C level!

im getting scared that this years exam is gonna be so hard and tough just because last years was easy!
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#13 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

it was 60% actually

Its never going to be more than that

Its really annoying that amount of rubbish that gets spread about

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#14 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 11 2005, 03:47 PM)
it was 60% actually

View Post

will that be the same for this year.

so if u get all the C questions right and get some B ones right aswell u can easily get 60% plus?
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#15 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:56 PM

My teacher told me this years standard grade credit exam was really hard. sad.gif Which mite mean this years higher one might be really hard as well!! God, I hope not! blink.gif

#16 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(oddbins @ May 11 2005, 06:56 PM)
My teacher told me this years standard grade credit exam was really hard.  sad.gif  Which mite mean this years higher one might be really hard as well!! God, I hope not!  blink.gif

View Post

but it will be/ should be the same standard as the past papers from 2000-2003.

They cant just make it massivley harder. They have to keep some sort of standard.
user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#17 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 11 2005, 04:47 PM)
it was 60% actually

View Post

For the 2004 exam there were only two proper A questions:

Paper 1 - Question 11 (b)
Paper 2 - Question 11

#18 tupacshakur

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE(ally @ May 11 2005, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE(Dave @ May 11 2005, 04:47 PM)
it was 60% actually

View Post

For the 2004 exam there were only two proper A questions:

Paper 1 - Question 11 (b)
Paper 2 - Question 11

View Post

isnt there only 2 A type questions in every exam?

user posted image

WWE RAW IS WAR

#19 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(tupacshakur @ May 12 2005, 08:12 AM)
isnt there only 2 A type questions in every exam?

View Post

Not too sure, but last years exam did have more than 60% C questions.

#20 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(oddbins @ May 11 2005, 06:56 PM)
My teacher told me this years standard grade credit exam was really hard.  sad.gif  Which mite mean this years higher one might be really hard as well!! God, I hope not!  blink.gif

View Post

Yeah apparently the standard grade one was really quite tricky, but like people said earlier different people set the S.G from the Higher. But following the trends the chances of getting an easy paper like 2004 are slim and none. chances are it will be pretty tricky aswell, so it looks like i may be a member of this forum for another year! wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users