Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Help required! - HSN forum

Help required!

3 replies to this topic

#1 NatzG

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

Hi its me bak 2 annoy you all again lol.

I was wondering could anybody on here please give me model answers for the following questions? I would just like to see how somebody else would answer them. Anything at all would be kindly appreciated.

a) What are the main arguments for and against the FPTP voting system?
b) What are the main arguments for introducing a system of PR into Uk elections?
c) To what extent does the Additional Member System make parliament more democratic
d) What efforts have been made by government to promote good health?

Thanks you guys tongue.gif

#2 Mikey_Pee

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:58 AM

Here is my answer to the fist one. I did this essay during the Easter holidays. When it was marked, I got 8/10 for it.

Click Here

#3 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(NatzG @ May 9 2005, 05:11 PM)
b) What are the main arguments for introducing a system of PR into Uk elections?
c) To what extent does the Additional Member System make parliament more democratic

View Post

Right I did higher modern studies last year, now doing advanced higher on the politics side, so I should be able to answer these lol.

All of the first 3 - a, b, and c could fundamentally be answered on knowledge of the pro's and con's of the different voting systems.

As the advantages to introducing PR is simply the advantages of STV/AMS etc. Question C meanwhile is simply balancing it out a bit, saying it would improve the democratic nature of parliament in these ways ... but at the same time ... would it for instance not be undemocratic that co-alitions would be formed?

Question A:

For:
Easy to understand - winner takes all. (On Constituency win level)
Creates Strong Govt. e.g. Blair (1997) 167 majority
Strong tradition of voting under this system - habit has developed amongst the electorate.

Against:
Votes wasted.
Result does not proportionatelly represent public opinion. You could even get a Govt. with less of the popular vote than another party. (Spread like butter not margarine)

Those with exemplification would get you good marks. Providing your essay style is good.

Learn the pro's and con's for the voting systems and they can be mangled to fit all of those questions.

Question D:

Haven't ever studied this, has it ever come up?

Efforts to promote good health from the top of my head:

Taxing convenience foods - in comparison to relatively low tax on 'healthy' options.
High tax on alcohol/cigarretes - which cause health problems. That's an indirect or perhaps even direct effort to promote good health by making them less affordable and therefore less desirable.

Their proposals to make school meals healthier following Jamie Oliver's channel 4 program focused on improving school meals. This highlights their commitment and an effort to not only promote, but increase access to good food and thus, better health - as diet is one of the major causes of ill health esp. in Scotland - "Sick man of europe."

Free fruit in schools/Free milk in primary schools (p1 - p3 I think :S )

Increased spending on projects such as youth sporting events etc.

I'd check some of these suggestions first. This is just things i've read here and there, nothing I have followed avidly.

Anyway, hope that helps. If not, just post again. I'll check back later.

#4 Shuggy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:You want to know what I do in my spare time y'mean? Nothing that can be repeated in a forum where there might be we'ans reading this dammit!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(NatzG @ May 9 2005, 05:11 PM)
Hi its me bak 2 annoy you all again lol.

I was wondering could anybody on here please give me model answers for the following questions? I would just like to see how somebody else would answer them. Anything at all would be kindly appreciated.

Thanks you guys  tongue.gif

View Post

I'll not bore you with lengthy answers to your questions - just a wee note to all about Election 2005 and its implications for this type of question:

Given that one of the best arguments for PR is that it tends to produce coalitions that are based, on average, on 60% of the electorate, whereas all British postwar governments have been elected on less than 50%, this last election is a strong argument for PR.

Blair's victory on the 5th of May - giving him around 60% of the seats in Westminster - was based on the smallest share of the vote for any governing party since the 1832 Reform Act.

Labour got around 36% of the vote; most postwar governments have been based on around 42-45% of the vote. This leaves a situation where the present government finds itself in power with nearly 64% of the electorate voting against it.

When the low turnout is factored in, Labour is presently in power on something around 20+% of the vote.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users