Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How to pass Higher English with an A. - HSN forum - Page 2

How to pass Higher English with an A.

37 replies to this topic

#21 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

I will contribute my high mark essays (quite a few on different texts) after the exam as I don't have much time the now.I'll rake through and see what I can find to contribute...

Huggles

Ice maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#22 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

High marks eh? Give us some tips!

#23 Laurz

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:56 PM

hey - i no its late but i thought i was gona fail but i got leckie and leckies 'higher english grade booster' and i've got sooo much more confidence now. I got a B in the prelim n im not convinced il get an A in the exam but i feel more relaxed now. So if u get a chance 2 get it - do it!!
Good luck!

#24 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Way too late now, Laurz... DUM DUM DUM. English exam draws nearer. Da da DA.

#25 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:22 PM

The english exam is within reaching distance!

Gulp! sweatingbullets.gif ohmy.gif mellow.gif sad.gif

#26 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

Guys I know, good luck, I'm putting more essays/notes up next year but hopefully none of you will have to use them. Good luck
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#27 ryanwhite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

cheers ^^

#28 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

I have about 50 past papers, for various subjects. If anyone wants one then just name the subject and I'll tell you what I have.
You can have as many papers as you want, for a small fee of course.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#29 Rachelg

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:13 PM)
I have about 50 past papers, for various subjects. If anyone wants one then just name the subject and I'll tell you what I have.
You can have as many papers as you want, for a small fee of course.

View Post

Hey, do you have some older human biology papers I could do with some...

#30 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

One of my main downfalls is technical accurancy. Anyone got any tips or books that would help with this - i do already read a good quality newspaper (as sugegsted by a teacher last year), but although it is improving my volcabulary and technical acurancy, it isn't enough for Higher English.
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#31 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:16 PM

The book "How to pass Higher English" is excellent in telling you exactly in plain English what you need to do to answer questions in the close reading exam in particular, but also provides useful strategies for the critical essay. In response to the original poster, getting an A in Higher English is very difficult, you only need 64% for an A2 but as I found out, the exam can have questions that dont perfectly fit any of your books. If that happens, you're pretty much stuck, it ruined my chances of getting an A, i was on A's all year, then got a B cos the Critical Essay exam was not exactly kind to me

#32 SoDraconian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff and doing nothing.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Steve @ May 9 2005, 06:03 PM)
1. Make sure you know your texts as well as possible. If you are studying a play, it might help to go and see it (especially if it is Shakespeare). I did this before my Higher Exam - it wasn't expensive, just an amateur production, but it really helps to get it into your memory, and it actually makes more sense when you see it - honest!

View Post

I definitely agree with this. It helps you visualise points in the novel/drama you maybe didn't understand. If there are no productions of what you're studying near you, you could always watch the film. It's scientifically proven that you retain images better than words -- well, something like that. Plus, if you watch a film, you're killing a few hours and you might even enjoy it. =P

Out of curiosity, what's the percentage for an A1?

#33 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE(SoDraconian @ Feb 28 2006, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE(Steve @ May 9 2005, 06:03 PM)
1. Make sure you know your texts as well as possible. If you are studying a play, it might help to go and see it (especially if it is Shakespeare). I did this before my Higher Exam - it wasn't expensive, just an amateur production, but it really helps to get it into your memory, and it actually makes more sense when you see it - honest!

View Post

I definitely agree with this. It helps you visualise points in the novel/drama you maybe didn't understand. If there are no productions of what you're studying near you, you could always watch the film. It's scientifically proven that you retain images better than words -- well, something like that. Plus, if you watch a film, you're killing a few hours and you might even enjoy it. =P

Out of curiosity, what's the percentage for an A1?

View Post

It was 75% last year, I think.

#34 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

Do you think buying one of these Lekcie and Leckie books would benefit me at this late stage?

#35 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

If your class teacher doesn't give out past papers often, then I'd suggest you just go for it. No harm in using them to practise.

#36 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

OK, thanks for the help... he doesn't so I'll prob buy it.

#37 frazboy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Feb 28 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

Do you think buying one of these Lekcie and Leckie books would benefit me at this late stage?

Am I really in as much trouble as I think I am????

#38 x_Claire_x

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Just Genreally Acting Like A Fool =P

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(frazboy @ Apr 3 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Amo @ Feb 28 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

Am I really in as much trouble as I think I am????

As much trouble as i am tongue.gif sad.gif
Just Be Yourself It Doesn't Matter If It's Good Enough For Someone Else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users