Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Do you like French? - HSN forum

Do you like French?

40 replies to this topic

#1 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:22 PM

I really think French is brilliant. I'm doing Higher just now and absolutely love it!
I just love anything to do with French or France. I'm off to Paris on a school trip near the summer. After doing Higher i'm going to continue with the subject at Uni. If anyone would like to give me their opinions or ask me any questions I would be happy to listen. I can recommend some good French movies, so get in touch if you interested and I would also love to hear your recommendations. If anyone needs help give me a shout and I might be able to help. Good luck to everyone studying French

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

I also like the French language. I did Higher French last year but didn't study it this year as I thought I would take the opportunity to study other subjects at school. I had been unable to study History at SG along with Geography and Higher Philosophy also enticed me. Furthermore, I thought Higher Chemistry would possibly be looked more kindly upon by universities for Geography (which should be my degree major if all goes to plan).
I had a native French teacher teaching me French throughout high school which I think helped. However, I wouldn't actually say she was a great teacher. I contemplated studying French as part of my degree course at university but I am not sure how easy it will be.
There are various French films (notably Bon Voyage, Amélie, La Haine, Taxi 1 & 2 (yet to see 3), Delicatessen, and Subway) I like and I also like french rap/hip-hop music (notably IAM and Sniper).
smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Another great movie is Tais toi! with Jean Reno and Gerard Depardieu. I'm going to uni in the autumn too and i'm hoping to continue with French. Do you feel at your school that many pupils in the younger years hate French although I don't know why? Got any good tips for revision

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:11 PM

I haven't seen "Tais toi!" but thanks for the recommedation.
Regarding younger pupils hating French I can totally relate to you. Not just French, but with foreign languages in general it seems. They don't seem to have "cool" status in the minds of most but I think learning a foreign language is pretty cool!
Last year I practiced the opinion and directed writing a lot and had my teacher and my mum (who is good at French) mark them. I would recommend making a list of useful phrases for expressing opinion and learning them. That was useful, as was listening to a French audio tape my teacher made for me, and watching some TV5. I found the reading papers quite easy but I practiced them too. I worked quite hard but in the end it was worth it because I got an "A". Good luck with your French exams. smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

I'm doing the Higher in S6 just now and it's been really enjoyable. It's been better because I don't need any grades for Uni so the pressure is off. I was thinking about taking French on as a subject at Uni but will it be really hard since I haven't done the Advanced Higher or are there others in the same position?

Lots of people in my year hate French, not just those in the lower school. My friends think I'm mental when I tell them it's one of my favourite subjects. I think it's because it can be a bit boring at times and a lot of hard work!

Good luck for the exam by the way!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#6 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:50 PM

If I get any other good films I'll pass them on. I agree languages are most definitely not "cool" and many of my friends also think I'm mad for doing it. I'm also in 6th year and doing Higher French and I plan to do it at University and as far as I know at the Uni i'm going to its not a problem (even for those who have little knowledge of French) I also write out practice essays for the listening writing and am going to memorise them for the exam. Thanks for the advice and good luck with your exams. When's the best time to watch TV5 as some of the programmes can be boring! I find the reading easy too!

#7 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

I did higher french last year and i thot it was quite hard! The film "etre et avoir" is the best it is sooo sweet i would recommend it to any one!

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(vikki1987 @ May 6 2005, 04:50 PM)
If I get any other good films I'll pass them on. I agree languages are most definitely not "cool" and many of my friends also think I'm mad for doing it. I'm also in 6th year and doing Higher French and I plan to do it at University and as far as I know at the Uni i'm going to its not a problem (even for those who have little knowledge of French)  I also write out practice essays for the listening writing and am going to memorise them for the exam.  Thanks for the advice and good luck with your exams. When's the best time to watch TV5 as some of the programmes can be boring! I find the reading easy too!

View Post

I thought it was quite good because it has subtitles on quite a lot. The quiz shows during the day are ok but it has its fair share of crap too! There are some decent films on some evenings. However, I don't get the channel any more.

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(superstar @ May 6 2005, 04:55 PM)
I did higher french last year and i thot it was quite hard! The film "etre et avoir" is the best it is sooo sweet i would recommend it to any one!

View Post

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. It's a nice film. smile.gif

#10 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

I have a copy of etre et avoir but have yet to watch it. We have a French Assistant at our school and he is going to give me a CD of french songs so that should be helpful to get me thinking of French. Not long now! Are you on study leave yet?

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

My French teacher used to play songs to us - e.g. Moi Lolita by Alizee when it was released because "French songs aren't often released as singles in the UK" and Telephone - Un Autre Monde because Telephone was her favourite band when she was younger.
Today was my last ever day in school!

#12 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:51 PM

*HATE* French.

#13 vikki1987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

Yeh yesterday was my last day is school too - sad.gif I'll get over it eventually but i loved school and all the teachers and friends i got to know. I would hate to lose toucht with them

#14 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:04 PM

French is gr8, and Advanced will be gr8 next year! smile.gif

I hope... wink.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#15 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

Whey hey!! I'm not the only one!! I love French too - people think I am weird watching "Amélie" and "Comme une image" etc etc but French is amazing! I want to take the AH next year and then wanna do it at uni, too.
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabar ciego.
~Gandhi~

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Well, I don't mind french (i didn't take french this year but i have to teach myself higher french next year smile.gif ).

Anyway, speaking about french films..has anyone seen that film "The Chorus"? I went to see it at the cinema recently and i totally loved it. Ah, its my favourite film now actually! wink.gif The music in it is just beautiful (honestly - it is rolleyes.gif ).

I would really recommend it to all you french lovers (and also anyone who likes music/singing) smile.gif It really is good.

#17 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

I've seen it as well. I thought it was quite a nice film but I expected as much from the reviews.

#18 super_diva <3!

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

I love French as well! Although i'm still in two minds as to whether to take it on to AH level (I want to do Spanish as well)

I plan to go on to study languages at Uni after sixth year, does anyone know if they have a preferance to a language or do they see them as equal? Because this would probably influence my decision for next year. biggrin.gif

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

French is the only foreign language I've studied, unfortunately.

#20 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:09 PM

i did french last year and really really enjoyed it. unfortunately i seem to have forgot alot of it. planning on picking it up at uni again. we watched the film "le silence de la mer" i would recommend it, for the comedy value that is. really really funny biggrin.gif i cant remermber it that well but i'm sure the main character decides he doesn't like his wife or gf anymore because she like kills a mosquito. Also, the guys white hair is clearly flour.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users