Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Accepted values for the latent heat of fusion - HSN forum

Accepted values for the latent heat of fusion

23 replies to this topic

#1 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:About me:<br />Heheh well I'm half jap and half chink ehhe ^^ muh mums jap muh pa is chinese, Im in yr11 doin nerdy subjects ehhe 6 TEE &gt;&lt; ek! I watch the bestest eva flash http://homestarrunner.com ehheh omg sooo good eheheh :P I'm a shorty but i don mind ^^ i like to go out and meet new ppl and for some strange and evil reason muh friends hav suked me into the inevitable JAP CRAZE!!!! ehehhehe so I like naruto ehhe sooooo good heheh I like to play initial D, I like sipping occasionaly on the odd bubble tea, I like to play pool and attempt standard on DDR lol ahha while I watch muh pro 'bros' on it doin heavy like there was no tomolo hehehe....eheh also like to hang in da ct wif muh 2 'bros' and 'sis' ehhe n watchin muh broz breakin in da park ehehhe rockz!! hehe I jus like hanging wif da ppl who rock muh world ^^ ohhhh and I like silvias *drooles* want an s15 [yang]now but I'll settle wif a S13 or S14 ehehhe :P<br /><br />Location:Australia <br /><br />Zodiac Sign:Sagittarius <br /><br />Hometown: Perth, Sth of the river <br /><br />Occupation: stogent <br /><br />Companies: Stefanie &amp; Co. industries <br /><br />Schools:queenies(kindy) R.P.S(primary) WSHS(high school) <br /><br />Affiliations: Xing Shu Clan [ Z ] XD!!!!!!<br /><br />Intrests and Hobbies:<br />Anything goes with me; I like skating, I like mucking round, I like playing pool, I like ddr, I like to just have fun and I like to spend time with muh 'fam' <br /><br />Favorite Books: <br />The Divine Wind, Harry Potter (all of them), Memoirs of a Geisha, Only the heart, The last polar bear, <br /> <br />Favorite Movies: <br />LOTR (all), Walk to remember, the Notebook, Saved, Shaun of the Dead, Mean girls, The butterfly effect, hero, Shark2, pirates of the carribean, erm what else? All the good stuff that make you cry, laugh and love<br /><br />Favorite Music: <br />Dashboard confessional, Trapt, Something For Kate, Switchfoot, System of a down, Namie Amuro, Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, ayu trance, Jay chou, ummm anything I can rock or dance too <br /><br />Favorite TV Shows:<br />Out there, Degrassi, and other quality ABC viewing :P Homestarrunner? Is that a show? It may just be! Oh oh oh and Naruto!!

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

I was wondering if i re arranged this equation right or I totally made it up...

Cw= 4.2*10^3JKgK
Mi= 0.03296Kg
Ts= 3.10c
Lf=?

total heat gained=Mi Lf + Mi Cw (T2 - 0)
=(0.0329)Lf + (0.3296)(4.2*10^3)(3.10-0)
=(0.0329)Lf = 429.14
0.03296Lf = 429.14
Lf = 130 20
therefore.gif Lf = 1.30*10^4JKg-1

Can answer the question like that even though I dont know total heat gained? If i did it wrong can someone tell me the right way to do it pleasssssseee!!!

sweatingbullets.gif thank u!!

#2 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:About me:<br />Heheh well I'm half jap and half chink ehhe ^^ muh mums jap muh pa is chinese, Im in yr11 doin nerdy subjects ehhe 6 TEE &gt;&lt; ek! I watch the bestest eva flash http://homestarrunner.com ehheh omg sooo good eheheh :P I'm a shorty but i don mind ^^ i like to go out and meet new ppl and for some strange and evil reason muh friends hav suked me into the inevitable JAP CRAZE!!!! ehehhehe so I like naruto ehhe sooooo good heheh I like to play initial D, I like sipping occasionaly on the odd bubble tea, I like to play pool and attempt standard on DDR lol ahha while I watch muh pro 'bros' on it doin heavy like there was no tomolo hehehe....eheh also like to hang in da ct wif muh 2 'bros' and 'sis' ehhe n watchin muh broz breakin in da park ehehhe rockz!! hehe I jus like hanging wif da ppl who rock muh world ^^ ohhhh and I like silvias *drooles* want an s15 [yang]now but I'll settle wif a S13 or S14 ehehhe :P<br /><br />Location:Australia <br /><br />Zodiac Sign:Sagittarius <br /><br />Hometown: Perth, Sth of the river <br /><br />Occupation: stogent <br /><br />Companies: Stefanie &amp; Co. industries <br /><br />Schools:queenies(kindy) R.P.S(primary) WSHS(high school) <br /><br />Affiliations: Xing Shu Clan [ Z ] XD!!!!!!<br /><br />Intrests and Hobbies:<br />Anything goes with me; I like skating, I like mucking round, I like playing pool, I like ddr, I like to just have fun and I like to spend time with muh 'fam' <br /><br />Favorite Books: <br />The Divine Wind, Harry Potter (all of them), Memoirs of a Geisha, Only the heart, The last polar bear, <br /> <br />Favorite Movies: <br />LOTR (all), Walk to remember, the Notebook, Saved, Shaun of the Dead, Mean girls, The butterfly effect, hero, Shark2, pirates of the carribean, erm what else? All the good stuff that make you cry, laugh and love<br /><br />Favorite Music: <br />Dashboard confessional, Trapt, Something For Kate, Switchfoot, System of a down, Namie Amuro, Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki, ayu trance, Jay chou, ummm anything I can rock or dance too <br /><br />Favorite TV Shows:<br />Out there, Degrassi, and other quality ABC viewing :P Homestarrunner? Is that a show? It may just be! Oh oh oh and Naruto!!

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

Whats the accepted value of the latent heat of fusion of ice?? is it the same as water??

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

The specific latent heat of fusion of ice at 0 ºC, is 334 KJkg -1 . This means that to convert 1 kg of ice at 0ºC to 1 kg of water at 0 ºC, 334 kJ of heat must be absorbed by the ice. Conversely, when 1 kg of water at 0 ºC freezes to give 1 kg of ice at 0 ºC, 334 kJ of heat will be released to the surroundings.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

Could you write down the question in full please?
user posted image

#5 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:47 PM

Thank you!! life saver! i was lookin it up n onli got stuff on how to find it ^^ cheers

#6 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

No probs, it is in the front of all the advnaced higher physics exams on the data sheet, although that looks like your doing standard grade to me? I could only find water on the data sheet for standard grade which is the same as ice anyway.
user posted image

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:02 PM

She from perth though......Australia devision tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:43 AM

The expression for the total heat gained by ice melting and the ice being raised to the final temperature T2, is

total heat gained=Mi Lf + Mi Cw (T2 - 0)
Where specifice heat of water is (Cw)= 4.2 X 10^3Jkg-1K-1

data
Cw= 4.2*10^3JKgK
Mi= 0.03296Kg
Ts= 3.10c
Lf=?
Q=?

#9 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 04:47 AM

lol *shakes fist* Aust is good!! Hmm in my physics book it says the latent heat of water is 3.34x10^5Jkg

wats standard grade is it like high school? im in my second final yr of high skool XD arghhhhh exams!!!!!!! btw this site is good keep up da good work!

#10 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

i was just reminding werlop that you wont be doing standard grades, higher and advanced highers

stangards are done in your 4 year of high school here, these are your lowest and 1st set of exams. On your 5th year you can do highers and these are the subjects that you can use to get into university. Sometimes you can alos do advanced highers the year after to get extra more advanced work which will be of advantage in university

#11 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

ahh icic so im standard ^^ i think....

#12 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

well your sitting exams at 15..i think, which i certainly didnt do ( was 16) but yeah i would hope its standard grades (equililant) although your questions are quite advanced

#13 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:59 AM

well im born at dec so im 16 this year..i had exams last yr ehhe did hell good in english n passed math..sleep.gif' but they wer sorta mock exams 4 nex yr so were pre pared

#14 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

is this in the Higher Physics coursse? ohmy.gif

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

no...simple answer

#16 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:51 AM

?? then wat course is it?? hmm anyone no if its right?? help!

#17 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:38 AM

See not i am comfused

You are not sitting SQA higher physics are you

The last time i did higher physics i was pretty sure that wasnt in it and m know its not in advanced higher

#18 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

hmm its cause im in AUST! lol umm well im 2yrs away from uni and im 16 so go figure?? but yeah bak to the original quest is it right??

#19 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

difficult to tell because i have never done it but it seems to be a correct logic and such

#20 stephanieyoong

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

ahh icic hmm but can u solve an equation wif 2 unkowns?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users