Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Practice Questions - HSN forum

Practice Questions

12 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 05:57 PM

Just wondered if anyone could type up any practise questions they have been given out....just for extra practise for the Prelims.
Mark

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 04:47 PM

Q: If 16 bits are used to represent integers using two's complement notation what range of integers can be represented?

A: Am I correct in saying this is -32768 to 32767 ( as it needs 1 16bit value for 0?)

In the perfect papers book it says its -32768 to 32768, but then their would be no value for 0 surely?

This was in a past paper, only it was 8 bits, and the SQA said the answer was -128 to 127, so I take it the perfect papers answer is wrong.

If someone could post to back me up, to make sure I am not making a cod of this :D

Mark
Mark

#3 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:54 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner - I've been really busy (Computing Project)!

Yeah, you're right.

An easy way to calculate the range of possible values in two's complement is:

Range = 2^(n-1)-1 to 2^(n-1)
where n is the number of bits used to represent a number.

Hope this helps - it takes away the need to think about it (which is always nice)! :P
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 09:39 PM

Yeh thats the rule we were given too Steve.
I have loads of practice questions I can type up but they are final exam prep practice questions. Still want them??If u do please tell me!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

If you have time them definately, I don't do Multimedia tho, so it may be a waste of time typing them up! But thanks! :)

Mark
Mark

#6 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:33 PM

Yeh I know that! You do AI! Afraid I dont have any AI ones but I do have the other parts of the exam! Week we go back they'll be up. :)

#7 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

Thanks! smile.gif

We are doing all the older past papers from 1992 - 1999! Thank god we didn't sit this higher - looking at some the questions we can't do - they look quite complex!!
Mark

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:57 AM

Oops I forgot to type up these questions. During this week I'll do it. smile.gif

#9 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:16 PM

Lol! It's ok, as long as they're here before the final exam really! smile.gif

Have you been doing any older past papers? We have really only been doing the AI section as its not changed much!
ie: More PROLOG q's to practice! rolleyes.gif
Mark

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 10:11 PM

O for goodness sake I really am letting you down. They will definately be to u by the week before the exam. I dont think I'll have enough time to do everything this weekend so next weekend then.

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

There is NO rush! And your not letting anyone done, I will email you those MC's this weekend!
Ive been so busy throughout this week!

Mark

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:22 PM

Hello sparky. I take it you've forgotten??

#13 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:30 PM

Now then the exam is a week on Monday and this is a topic for practice questions to be posted so below i have 5 questions that are standard types and may be of some use to anyone panicing or without past papers

1) You are given a picture to scan into your computer. The picture is 3 inches by 2 inches and is to be scanned at 600dpi. The picture is in colour and will be scanned in true colour(32bit). That is the amount of storage needed?

2) Explain the stored program concept

3) You are asked to write a program to find the average of 6 numbers. What is the best way of storing the numbers and why.
3b) Assuming you use the concept of modularity what types of parameter passing will you use for the numbers

4) What is the difference between a fixed and a conditional loop

5) Explain the terms alpha testing and beta testing

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users