Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Close Reading - HSN forum

Close Reading

10 replies to this topic

#1 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

I am not a fast reader at all, actually I am very slow!! When I do close reading papers I never manage to get to the "Questions on both passages" because I don't have time. sad.gif

Has anyone got any tip on how I should read the paper so that I manage to get to the end of the questions?

Any suggestions will help!! biggrin.gif

user posted image
(`'•.Έ(`'•.Έ Έ.•'΄)Έ.•'΄)
x..*...x•..•°.Amanda loves Craig•..•°.x...*..x
(Έ.•'΄(Έ.•'΄ `'•.Έ)`'•.Έ)

#2 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:34 PM

It is most likely not the problem of reading the passages too slow it is most likely you write too much information not needed in your answers.

#3 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Yeah well maybe that as well, but I do read to slow we done this reading practise thing in class and we had to time our self, and I was the last finished by miles! sad.gif

user posted image

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:44 AM

I usually read passage 1 first then asnwered the questions on that passage, and then after that read passage 2 and then done the questions on that passage. Some people read both passages and then answer all the questions. It depends on you really.

I took highlighters last year and just highlighted important parts of the passage. It helped quite a bit.

#5 Guest_n00bie!_*

• Guests

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:49 PM

Yeah, it's good to read passage 1, answer the questions and then do passage 2.

Also, you might be trying to read into the passage in too much depth than you need to. Remember, that when you answer the questions of a particular paragraph (for example) you will be reading it again. The first read is just to get an overall impression of the mood and ideas. If you are REALLY keen, you can glance over the second to get a contrasting view.

However, I would also recommend annotation - that is if you have time. It doesn't have to be neat, just so you can read it.

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

#6 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:03 PM

Thanx! I'l try that when practising!! tongue.gif

user posted image

#7 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:34 PM

Try to get straight to the point in your answers. If a question is worth 2 marks and you can give a really full answer, try to restrain yourself from writing loads - just pick out what will be sufficient to enure you get the 2. If you get to the end question on two passages with only a little time to spare, bullet point the answers. You might not get full marks for the question, but if you put down a relevant point then you will at least get some credit.
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabarα ciego.
~Gandhi~

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

Yeh I'd go with the advice above but if something is worth two marks don't just write two things. Write three or four! Strange I know but do it!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#9 Quirkycat

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Nearly everything ...

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE(cc100 @ Apr 24 2005, 02:34 PM)
If you get to the end question on two passages with only a little time to spare, bullet point the answers.  You might not get full marks for the question, but if you put down a relevant point then you will at least get some credit.

View Post

You could do this, but only if you have to .... better to write a proper mini essay for the last question, but bullet point the others, since the examiner will be looking for a small essay for the last question. (At least, that's what the books I've read say)

You could try not read the passages properly, if you find yourself short of time. You could try just skimming it, or reading the topic sentences. Remember, the questions will direct you to the lines needed, so it might be better to do as someone else suggested, and highlight the lines, then read them when you're actually doing that question. I prefer to read both passages first, but if not reading them works for you, then go for it!

Hope this helps! smile.gif
LOL ... it's me again! *grabs ppl to stop them running away* Now just u stay and listen to me ... hehe!

#10 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Quirkycat @ May 7 2005, 09:18 PM)
You could do this, but only if you have to .... better to write a proper mini essay for the last question, but bullet point the others, since the examiner will be looking for a small essay for the last question. (At least, that's what the books I've read say)

View Post

We were encouraged not to do that. However, my teacher was terrible so I don't really know.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:09 PM

Yep mini-essay for last question definately but you can bullet point the others to save time. I read the topic sentences of all the paragraphs then read the questions. Then I know where each of the answers will come from then to answer the question I read the relevant paragraph well not so much read as scan. It doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users