Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did you find the exam? - HSN forum - Page 2

How did you find the exam?

30 replies to this topic

#21 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:41 PM

Hi, I'm new.

I thought that the close reading was OK, but the poetry questions were diabolical. All we'd done for poetry was two poems by Keats (Ode to Autumn and Ode to a Nightingale) and 2 Sylvia Plath poems. But I'd revised prose and drama as well, so I did manage to get two questions. I just don't know if I answered them well enough. I did one on Hamlet and another on The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

I was in with the Advanced Higher class, so we had to do Advanced Higher texts. =/

I got 73% for my prelim, so I don't know if that'd count for appeals because it's so close to the cut-off.

#22 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Lindsay @ May 31 2004, 02:41 PM)
I got 73% for my prelim, so I don't know if that'd count for appeals because it's so close to the cut-off.

hey so did i!!
But i dont think i have dun so well in the actual exam! sad.gif

#23 porsch1909

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

the reason that they have such specific questions for poetry is very valid. the fact that a person spends 2-3 months studying a play or prose but for me it takes a week to study a poem and get an 18/25(an A) it is completly unfair for a person to get 18/100 marks (18%)with one weeks work. it also doesnt show much knowledge jsut revising a poem.

i answered a question during the year

choose a poem that at first glance seems an insignificant incident
show how the writer develops this incident and makes apparent the wider significance.

int he exam there was

choose a poem in which a chance encounter or a seemingly unimportnat inciden aquire increased significance by the end of the poem
show how the poet's development of the encounter or incident leads you to a deeper understanding of the poems's theme.

that was a beaty but i never answered it. IMO scrap the stupid mass media and language section and poetry and give more prose and drama

#24 Blah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:08 AM

The poetry questions were fantastically crap, I thought. Still, I managed to twist Dulce Et Decorum Est to fit one of the questions pretty well. So well, in fact, that the SQA will have to invent a whole new letter before A to grade my work. In fact they won't, 'cause they will be blinded and driven insane by its shining brilliance.

#25 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:39 PM

there is the argument that those better prepared with more texts for paper II had less time to prepare for paper I.

i agree with the sqa that it is the candidates/school responsibility to prepare suitably enough texts to answer a question in the paper. this may be off the rails but take any subject if u study only a bit of the course u cannot be guaranteed it will be assessed in the paper. i think english is always a strange subject where you can practically get almost grade and maybe im right in thinkin most of u have no certain idea of what you will get in english but maybe u will in other subjects.

#26 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:14 PM

Well in response to an earlier question, no I did not just revise for poetry and prose, we also studied drama but there were no questions there either, hence my anger. To clarify for the lot of u:

I studied:
4 poems
1 play
3 prose pieces (including 2 novels)

The questions for all poems and drama were terrible and my english teacher agrees with me on that. The prose however was a complete gift , lots of great questions there.Hope I pick up marks in the prose.

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#27 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:52 AM

thats not necessarily enough

i did about 6 poems and 3 prose

#28 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 10:28 AM

Well I did 1 play(Romeo and Juliet), 3 poems(Visiting Hour, My Last Duchess and The Horses) and 1 prose(The Telegram), and I think there was at least one question for each poem.

James1, I agree with your point that its hard with English to estimate your grade. And it is the only subject of mine that I can't predict.

#29 Infinite_Dreams

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:00 PM

I thought the exam was fair. The close reading seemed much easier than last years (but I've probably still made a mess of it). The writing was ok for me, but my friends, most of whom were in a different class (and therefore did different texts), thought it was extremely useless in terms of choice. I had the choice of two not far different from that in the prelim. It was passage of time for the Horses (I got an A in the prelim, my only A ever...woooo), and the setting for The Handmaid's Tale (got a C in the prelim, but I worked way harder for this one, since my prelim one was deemed off-task for most of it.)

I reckon I've probably either C'd it, or failed it, since I don't think my close reading was all that good. I'll be happy with a C anyway, and I got a C in the prelim so....

Any sort of pass in higher English is good, in my opinion!

In terms of the course exam itself, I think that there should be a major overhaul. It's very unfair on some, in terms of the writing in particular, and one hour thirty minutes isn't close to enough time to do the interpretation or the essay. Maybe an extra half hour on both would be more fair. It doesn't give enough time to display the sort of level of work you've been doing over the year, since you can't exactly display a great deal of 'flair' in a forty-five minute essay. Also, the writing should be purely on the candidates shoulders in terms of task. They should choose a task, state it before the essay, and then incorporate good following of it in the exam. It would allow far better writing from the candidate (more a reflection of their skill), and easier marking in my opinion (since the candidate is far less likely to write off-task, so the marker is less likely to have to decide what's on and off task.)

#30 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:17 AM

Thank you thank you. U understand. Yes it does need changed.

Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#31 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(Blah @ Jun 2 2004, 01:08 AM)
The poetry questions were fantastically crap, I thought. Still, I managed to twist Dulce Et Decorum Est to fit one of the questions pretty well. So well, in fact, that the SQA will have to invent a whole new letter before A to grade my work. In fact they won't, 'cause they will be blinded and driven insane by its shining brilliance.

View Post

What question did you write about Dulce et Decorum Est on?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users