Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How did you find the exam? - HSN forum

How did you find the exam?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:40 AM

I was wondering how everyone felt the exam went on fiday as i felt it went well, but i said that in the prelims and only got a C.

#2 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

Found the essays terrible for poetry but ok for prose. Close redaing- coulda done with some more time.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#3 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

Hi!

I thought the Close Reading was fairly straightforward - much easier than last years. The critical essay wasn't too bad although the poetry section was SHOCKING. Luckily I knew my prose and drama texts (The Great Gatsby and Death of a Salesman) really well and got good essay questions. I managed to scrape a B in my prelim coz I only got half marks for the close reading paper :S
Good luck for August everyone!

Laura xxx laugh.gif

#4 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

Did anyone do Macbeth for their drama text? If so which question did you choose? I tried the question on an emotional scene for 1.7 anyone else do that?

#5 thebizwiz

Site Swot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Computing, the business world, television, radio, music, the Internet, education.

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:17 PM

Well I walked over from the office area in to the large gym, and lo and behold, it was sitting on the desk in front of me!

Funilly enough.
user posted image
user posted image

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

i did Macbeth and i did it on question 1 on the changing attitude i had to towards Macbeth. My friends also did the same question

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

See, poetry was shocking, complain about it.

#8 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:31 PM

everyone seems to be saying that poetry was bad even teachers but i don't understand this because anyone that did a poem with any of the following would be fine: 2 poems on love, heroic or currupt figures, allegory, or a passage of time

Perhaps it's because there was no general questions but i did say that would be the case before we sat the exam not that anyone could do anything about it

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:23 PM

Well i dont understand how you can't see they were bad. Our school don't do the 2 poem questions and our poems are depressing and more on hate than love so bang goes that question. What is allegory again, I forget, my heads so full of maths- anyway we didnt do one which suited that. Passage of time- the passage of time has no effect on any of our poems. Corrupt figure- unless you can call someone who loves their Dad and misses him after his death corrupt or call someone who bring joy to society corrupt or someone who tries to correct society's corrupt views corrupt then that one is out of the window.
Leaving heroic and that's the one I did on the person who brings joy to the world- Frida Kahlo ( my third choice poem may I add)!

No general questions- thats not the problem- the problem is that how many people do poems on any of they subjects?? I know no-one

#10 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

we did some poem on a passage of time, but i never wrote on it coz i hadn't learnt it up

but we also did 2 other poems which would never have fitted into the questions, i have to agree, they weren't great

but I would say the drama and prose questions were alright this year

english is a very unfair subject in the first place, its the luck of the draw whether you get a question to suit or not

#11 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:49 PM

Thank you. That is very true. I share that view and I dont like people saying that the questions were fine and that we are at fault for not being able to think on our feet cos I certainly did that!

#12 CurrieG2

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:59 PM

Hi

Did anyone do Intermediate 2 i thought it was ok how aboiut all the rest of yous

I hope it was ok LoL

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:15 PM

alright questions for prose and drama (which were my 2 top choices; the remains of the day and death of a salesman). i did 1 and 7. Thought the close reading wasn't too bad either. Think I did quite well should get a B. I got 59.5% in my prelim.

I got "awarded" a "D" (which was appealed to a "C") - "f*ck YOU" is all I have to say to the bastard that marked my paper!

Edited by bred2k4, 20 March 2005 - 03:08 PM.

Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#14 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:34 PM

sorry to annoy you moderator Discogirl17 but can i ask why you found that you had to do poetry in the first place was it that you only did 2 section in class or did you just prepare two sections but don't take this as an attack on your revision please!!

#15 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:53 PM

I wanted to do poetry too because genarally poetry questions are easier to do
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#16 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:56 PM

U see i think that poetry is really hard but loadsa of my friends think that it is the easiest so i think it totally depends on what you feel u are better at. I feel i was better at prose n drama but i could ave dun poetry though not very well!

#17 catm82

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 02:43 PM

I did the poetry question on the passage of time using Derek Walcott's The Morning Moon, and the prose question about a time or setting using Bernard Mac Laverty's A rat and some renovations.

I felt that it was easier to do a poetry question as you can memorise the whole thing and then just pick out the parts that you need for the question, the prose one I did was fine as it was just a short story and was easy enough to pick out the quotes and parts of the story for the question. In class I had studied two other poems and also studied the Shawshank Redemption film, I could have done a Media question, but the poetry was easier for me!

It's just your luck, and your ability to twist the question a bit... for my prose one, I ended up talking about the setting, about it being in Ireland so there was cultural conflict and Irish humour going on... I got a C for my prelim, 58%, hopefully I'll get the extra two marks at least , to get me a B smile.gif

I had maths yesterday, and it killed! blink.gif

got one more to go, Information Systems...

Good luck for everyone who has more exams to sit! wink.gif

#18 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:25 AM

On a whole i felt the englsih exam was fair adn that is the general mood amongst teachers in my school.

the interp - one of the easiest i have ever done in higher, passage two was slightly tougher but i feel , for me, it went well.

essays - there's no denying, my essays are bull. thew highest i have had (last essay i ever handed in) was 16/25. I had an EXCELLENT question for tickets please (almost identical to the 16/25 mark essay question) so i think that went ok. There was only 1 poem q that related to the 7 that we had been taught un class (even though i had only leanred 3 anyway!) the one that did come up was one of my weakest poem so i decided to give it a miss. All four play questions related to othello so htere was no problem there - i think i chose one of the tougher questions...but never mind.

I'm pretty confident that i have at least passed. I'd like a B, but i'd be extrmely happy with a C.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#19 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 12:18 PM

well in the exam i felt that there were several questions i could have done. I enede up doing Sense and Sensibility for the prose section and Ambulances by Larkin for poetry. These were the same two i did in the prelim so i thought i would be quite good at doing them again. Dont know how i got on, i can never really tell with english!

Gill x
user posted image

#20 Ali Vegas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

Exam was kinda ehhh.

Close Reading wasn't so challenging.

Had to write about Romes & Jules tho since poetry questions were shady and I'm so with the whole drama side. Essay was decent tho. Cone Gatherers essay for prose was kinda good tho.

I'm thinking probably low A/high B but I don't know..I got 91% in the prelim tho so best believe I'm appealing if I don't get my A.

Whoever was right about the subject being jokes. Random, strange time constraints - the whole essay side is just f***ed up. It doesn't reflect on natural ability like it should and if I don't get an A it'll be harsh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users