Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Driving - HSN forum

Driving

140 replies to this topic

#1 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

Hey just want to ask how many driving lessons has everyone (who is taking lessons) had?
I started taking lessons last month and so far have had 8 hours and its great laugh.gif
I cant wait till i can drive and get my own car tongue.gif
I will probably be sitting my theory test sometime next month, and wont be sitting my actual driving test until about May.

How many of you have passed your driving test?

cool.gif

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

i passed on the 27th of October on my second attempt i should have passed on my first attempt i was done mad.gif . I passes after 35 hours driving (including the driving tests)tongue.gif

Driving is the best thing on the planet i would love to have my own car but cant afford it. tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 5 2005, 07:12 PM)
i passed on the 27th of October on my second attempt i should have passed on my first attempt i was done mad.gif  . I passes after 35 hours driving (including the driving tests)tongue.gif

Driving is the best thing on the planet i would love to have my own car but cant afford it. tongue.gif

View Post

Congratulations Dave biggrin.gif
What company did you take your lessons with?

user posted image

#4 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

I started with AA which had Ford Focus which btw are great cars to drive but he left so i went with a smaller family business; Top Gear which run mini D's which apart from the gear boxes are great. The thing with the Gear box is its so stiff and jerky and fights you when you change gear,not the fact its 6-speed at all

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:28 PM

I failed my practical test today for the 2nd time sad.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:29 PM

By how much did you fail and what on

#7 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

I got a serious for apparently making a car slow down for me to pull out of a junction. I also got 13 minor errors, the majority of which in the latter half of the test. The first time I failed for not changing lanes until the last second approaching a roundabout to turn right. I got 11 minors that day too. 3rd time lucky hopefully. It's only been 21 days since I failed the test the first time but I think I'm going to wait until April before re-sitting again. I've had 19 or 20 hours of lessons now (in a Nissan Almera) and probably about 12 hours in my parent's car (Fiat Brava).
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#8 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Feb 5 2005, 07:28 PM)
I failed my practical test today for the 2nd time sad.gif

View Post

Yeh i heard, i was about to ask you about that, unlucky.

user posted image

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:42 PM

its all about luck on test day i think

#10 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 5 2005, 07:22 PM)
I started with AA which had Ford Focus which btw are great cars to drive but he left so i went with a smaller family business; Top Gear which run mini D's which apart from the gear boxes are great. The thing with the Gear box is its so stiff and jerky and fights you when you change gear,not the fact its 6-speed at all

View Post

I was thinking about going with the AA as it looked pretty good, but in the end i went with BSM, because they were cheaper.

Just out of interest how much were you paying for a single lesson with the AA?

user posted image

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:44 PM

Unlucky bred2k4.

Does anyone know of any good webites for the theory?

#12 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Feb 5 2005, 07:44 PM)
Unlucky bred2k4.

Does anyone know of any good webites for the theory?

View Post

Try some of these sites.

user posted image

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:49 PM

for the theory i would just bit the bullet and get the official DSA CD's on multiple choice and hazard perception because its the best way to pass first time

For the AA i was paying £17.50 which was less than BSM. BSM i think are £19 now round here. I personally dont like BSM i hear to many made instructor stories.

One thing to watch is Driving instructors can operate with Pink badages which mean they haven't yet passed their third and final exam. This means they also haven't failed it 3 times however. The AA only use fully qualified instructors BTW.

Another NB: The corsa is an awful car to drive as a 1L its only got 3 cylinders blink.gif

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the "don't despair" comments everyone. As for the theory, I used the hazard perception CDs ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B..._ap_i1_xgl/202- ) and found them excellent practice (I would get a better score after each mock test and even better on the test day). For the multiple choice I just used the book you can buy with all the potential questions.

#15 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 5 2005, 07:49 PM)
for the theory i would just bit the bullet and get the official DSA CD's on multiple choice and hazard perception because its the best way to pass first time

For the AA i was paying £17.50 which was  less than BSM. BSM i think are £19 now round here. I personally dont like BSM i hear to many made instructor stories.

One thing to watch is Driving instructors can operate with Pink badages which mean they haven't yet passed their third and final exam. This means they also haven't failed it 3 times however. The AA only use fully qualified instructors BTW.

Another NB: The corsa is an awful car to drive as a 1L its only got 3 cylinders blink.gif

View Post

Yep your right there.
Most of the BSM instructors hold the pink badges, but when i signed up i asked for a fully qualified instructor with a Green Badge.
Im paying £18 a lesson, but i was quoted £21.50 by the AA ohmy.gif
Though i would have liked to have gone with the AA, as my uncle is a fully qualified instructor with the AA.
Im driving the Corsa, but its the 1.6, would have preffered the new Astra blink.gif
So its not too bad, i cant wait till i pass, so i can get my own car biggrin.gif

user posted image

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE($impl¥_®i¢h @ Feb 5 2005, 07:47 PM)
Try some of these sites.

View Post

Cheers!

#17 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Feb 5 2005, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE($impl¥_®i¢h @ Feb 5 2005, 07:47 PM)
Try some of these sites.

View Post

Cheers!

View Post

Nae bother rolleyes.gif

user posted image

#18 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

yes the thing with the AA is that if you book online the AA take an additional cut but if you go directly to the instructor you will (at least in my case) get it at £17.50. Which is the price for block bookings normally through the website

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 07:58 PM

My instructor runs his own business and charges 20 quid/hour. He seems pretty good but I don't have anyone to compare him to.

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

i have to say i saw a difference between my AA instructor who was quite new and the more experienced self employed Top Gear man

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users