Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Anschluss Appeasement - HSN forum

Anschluss Appeasement

15 replies to this topic

#1 gary

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

Can someone just give me a few quick points on why Appeasement was adopted during the Anschluss, I am really looking for a quote and a quick explanation. Thanks for any help.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

well the anschluss was in austria and as far as the british were concerned that was too far away to accept us here. Also the government were under the impression that the anschlus was welcomed by the austrian people so why should they stand in their way

Their is also the same stuff of the treaty of versailles, fear of war, cost, no allies that come up in general about appeasement

Of hand i dont know any quotes but churchill would of said something about the giving in thing and the government about not standing in their way and to let by gones be by gones

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:17 PM

Of hand i dont know any quotes but churchill would of said something about the giving in thing and the government about not standing in their way and to let by gones be by gones

View Post

Churchill wasn't pro-appeasement though. Churchill said "There was never a war more easier to stop."
On the other hand, Prime Minster Chamberlain decided that the events of the Anschluss were out of his hands and conceded to Hitler.
While Austrian and Czech radio reported the events of an ultimatum in the evening of March 11th, Germany denied that such an ultimatum was issued. Later that evening German troops marched into Austria. France and Britain protested, but weakly.
Chamberlain said "use of coercion, backed by force, against an independent State in order to create a situation incompatible with its independence."
Britain’s Lord Halifax had even suggested to Hitler before the Anschluss that Britain would not resist Germany uniting with Austria.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#4 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

thats what i meant by saying we were giving in. I thought i was making the point churchill was anti-appeasement

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Ok.
...and the government about not standing in their way and to let by gones be by gones

I thought you were saying here that Churchill felt the British government should not stand in the way of the Nazis and they should put the past (i.e. Germany being an enemy in WWI) behind them. Churchill was very wary of Hitler's intentions of course.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:17 PM

Was that not when Chamberlain said something about "a far away fight in a far away land"? Proving that he didnt really think it concerned us!

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:30 PM

yes but that was after the anschluss i think...not sure though

#8 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:13 PM

Chamberlain called the Sudeten crisis "a quarrel in a far-away land between peoples of whom we know nothing."

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

thought that

#10 Frannyanny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

austria was thought to be "germany's back garden anyway"
britain didnt mind austria being taken as they thought it was german anyway, there were 3million german speakers (ish, dont quote me, but a figure in that diregion)
they didnt mind austria being taken as long as it was by "peaceful means"
hitler talks about taking austria on the first few pages of Mein Kampf

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Frannyanny @ May 17 2005, 04:40 PM)
britain didnt mind austria being taken as they thought it was german anyway, there were 3million german speakers (ish, dont quote me, but a figure in that diregion)

View Post

I think you're getting confused with Czechoslovakia in terms of the German speaking population.
Austria was, and still is, a German speaking nation.

#12 Frannyanny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

lol!
thanks very much! ive been to Austria too *shakes head in despair* ook, the whole population spoke German so they considered it German anyway!

Lol *embarrassed*

#13 ColinAllardyce

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

As Churchill said “ the Anchluss was a programme of aggression, nicely timed and calculated”

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

The exact quote is "a programme of aggression, nicely calculated and timed."

#15 ColinAllardyce

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:48 PM

lol, my sources must be un trust worthy :@

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts