Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
chemistry prelim - HSN forum

chemistry prelim

34 replies to this topic

#1 amzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

:unsure: hey guys! have any of u had ure higher chemistry prelim?? can u give me any tips of wot to learn ....in units 1 and 2??? plz help me i need an A!!! :huh:

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 22 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

When have u got ur prelim?

I've got mines in mid- feburaury and done no revision!

:blink:

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

I am doing Higher Chemistry this year, and here are a few key ideas to help you study:-

1. Make sure you know all the content statements for the course (can be downloaded at SQA website) this tells you everything you need to know.

2. Download the Specimen Question paper as this will give you exam type questions to work through.

3. Buy the past papers or get hold of them.

4. Make sure you know your calculations, these typically are a lot of fairly easier marks.

5. If you don't understand anything ask your teacher or on here.

6. A copy of "Revision Questions for Higher Chemistry" book, our school gave us one and it is quite good for revision.

7.Learn your PPA's - again guarranteed question and should be a fairly easy question if you know your stuff!

At our school we are putting in some unit 3 into the prelim to make it more viable for an appeal, out of unit 3 we're doing (1) Hess's Law (2) Electrolysis and (3) Equlibrium.

Good Luck! :)
Mark

#4 amzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

Thank you so much guys!!! em my prelim is in mid mid february too...

theres so much to learn...

#5 amzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 04:54 PM

:P Hey there...i found out that my prelim is on th 10th of feb..is anyones b4 that??
its going to include all of units 1 and 2 and a bit of 3 up to the equilibrium!!!

:blink:

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:33 PM

My prelim is on the 24th of February!!
Which is a wee bit away and I have 3 exams to do before hand! And then computing 2 days after the Chemistry one!
:)

:angry:
Mark

#7 amzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 06:02 PM

Good Luck....apparently our prelim is meant to be impossible!!! :unsure:
Ive got 2 on the same day....im snookered

Please wish me luck and ill tell u wot was in it after i done it!!
just hope i pass!!

#8 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:54 PM

Good Luck! :P

My hardest prelim will probably be Computing and not Chemistry but we'll see :)
Mark

#9 Ross

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 10:38 AM

Mines is on the 9th Feb, loads to learn and am ******* myself! Theres so many little bits to learn in Chemistry. ARGH! Is there any practice prelim papers around?

Post edited- Offensive language

#10 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 03:30 PM

Just do past papers, the prelim has to be like the final exam anyway.
Mark

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:31 PM

How did people find their prelim? Was it hard?

I have mine on this tuesday coming, and I have been revising lots and doing multiple choices like mad!!

Does any one have answers they could e-mail me OR know where you can find answers on the net for Chemistry past papers 1995 - 1999 ???

Mark :P
Mark

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 10:27 PM

Hey!

Was just wondering, why are you doing all the ancient papers?
Its best to do the new papers as the syllabus has changed and the old paper contains many stuff that's been deleted from the present syllabus.

I think, however, you might be in luck; if you give me your e-mail addy i think i could email you the answers i have.

Ally

#13 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

I have the recent papers and I have done them, but especially in prelims there is a tendancy for departments to use all the old papers, espcially the multiple choice.

I have the new Past Papers book and I am working through them at the moment, but after these I intend to do some work on older papers.

Mark
Mark

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 10:37 PM

Hey!

I've found 2 books you can buy for the old past papers; they provide detailed worked through solutions to the old past papers. ( Not sure if this is useful to you though coz ur prelims coming up soon, but anyway...)

The first one is the old one while the second one is the most recent one (Duh!! :P )

If you cant be assed buying them tell me which questions you are stuck on and I'll tell you the answeres from the answer book I have.

Ally

#15 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

Thanks if I need them I will let you know!

Is there any people who have sat their prelim? How did they get on with it?
Chemistry is probably one of my strongest subjects along with computing, but I still find these two exams the hardest!
Mark

#16 Carlo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 05:23 PM

I have my chemistry prelim tomorrow!
I am relatively well prepared but I have a feeling that the questions are going to be realy hard!
Im especially having troubly with avogodro and reacting volumes!

Ive already had my maths, english and biology prelims and they were all ok, the english was hard though - the paage was on marriage and femminism aand it was really solid!

Anyway, good luck to all of you who have exams comming!

#17 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 08:42 PM

I suppose I am fairly good at chemistry but I am still not looking forward to the exam. I believe most of our multiple choice questions are infact coming from past papers, so I have been trying to do as many of these as I can - but let's not forget Section B!!! I was looking at one of these today, and I wish I had thought a bit about this section - although my teacher has said he expects me to get an A if not top of the year basically - so much pressure!!!

No one else feel like this with these prelims??
:lol:

Oh well...

if anyone has the past papers can they tell me how to do 2002 Q14a) its an electroylsis calc - which are usually simple theres just something about this one!!!

Mark
Mark

#18 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 06:47 PM

Got my chemistry prelim mark back today (fast marking)!

And I got 78%, which was the top in the year.

I got 37/40 for MC, and 41/60 for part B. It was a bought in paper, so I am chuffed :D

Mark
Mark

#19 amzy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 03:55 PM

hey there, has anyone done the unit 3A TEST.???????????

#20 Star

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:21 PM

i got 66% in my prelim + i'm a bit dissappointed cos my teacher predicted me for an A. i'll just have to try really hard fo the real exam. This girl in my year got 95% - genius!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users