Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Holidays - where have you been? - HSN forum - Page 2

Holidays - where have you been?

186 replies to this topic

#21 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

Well I have seen them being sold over there lol!

#22 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Gymnastics, watching TV, listening to music, shopping

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:12 PM

"The masses of Americans/People from home with rangers/celtic tops"

Thats would't bother me. You go on holiday to do your own thing, so I don't think you'd notice much of that/ or take any notice.

I would love to go to Florida. The sun, the adventure and an extra bonus for me is that - I don't mind the flights. tongue.gif Lucky me eh?!

Can't see me going with the parents though.
1. None of them like rides - so there would be know going to theme parks.
2. My mum doesn't like long flights!!

Time i started saving up I think!!! smile.gif

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
x..*...x....Amanda loves Craig....x...*..x
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#23 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:17 PM

You would, 9 and a half hours!!! Its a lot!

#24 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:20 PM

By the way - nobody even think of going to Bulgaria!
The plane coming back had NET (yes...rope) overhead storage compartments, I think the tyres of the landing wheels were baldy because it was a rough landing...and everything in Bulgaria is made of wood...no kidding!

Well, it was many years ago, maybe this 'developing' country is more developed. Who knows. I won't, because I'm never going back.

#25 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(FF47 @ Apr 5 2005, 04:20 PM)
By the way - nobody even think of going to Bulgaria!
The plane coming back had NET (yes...rope) overhead storage compartments, I think the tyres of the landing wheels were baldy because it was a rough landing...and everything in Bulgaria is made of wood...no kidding!

Well, it was many years ago, maybe this 'developing' country is more developed.  Who knows.  I won't, because I'm never going back.

View Post

lol!

I thought you meant net as in internet for a minute there.

#26 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

No. I'm surprised the plane survived taking us back/there and never fell apart. It must have been made of plastic and glued together lol.

#27 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(CrAiG @ Apr 5 2005, 03:17 PM)
You would, 9 and a half hours!!! Its a lot!

View Post

I really meant, I wouldn't get ill or anything, but as longs as I have something to do, or someone to talk to I'd be fine.

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#28 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(CrAiG @ Apr 5 2005, 09:13 AM)
Some breath-taking photos there!!!

View Post

Cheers. biggrin.gif
Many of the allies lost their lives in WWII on D-Day when they came out their boats and pushed over huge ladders to climb the cliff face shown in the first photo. Most were shot and killed by the defending Nazis.
The second photo was taken a little below 3,250m ASL (the highest point of uplift in the La Plagne snow sports area) and the third at 1,970m ASL at a summit called Le Fornelet. La Grande Motte and La Grande Casse shown in the fourth photo are 3,656m and 3,855m high respectively.
The melt water from the glacier shown in the last photo is the painfully cold! I sprained my ankle so had to cool it off but the fact it is about 1°C as well as flowing fast and having bits of ice in it wasn't exactly comfortable! On another day I walked up the side of the valley I have my back to in the photo. There were some people having a picnic at the base of the valley just down from the snout of glacier when suddenly there was a loud noise. A huge burst of water came out from the glacier a bit further up and the people having a picnic had to run for their lives out of the way! The sight was pretty amazing and I'm not sure what caused it. It may have been that a large store of melt water further up the glacier finally broke through a wall of ice.

This is the some land by some Normandy cliffs a little way along the coast from those seen in the first photo I posted - the depressions are from aerial bombing:
user posted image

And this is the Collon glacier higher up from Plan de Bertol (2,664m):
user posted image

This is one of me outside the Rothorn Hutte (3,198m) on the ascent route for the Zinalrothorn (4,221m) with the summit of the Matterhorn (4,478m) visible behind:
user posted image
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#29 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

The Mer de Glace was wasted on me in France. I didn't know what I was meant to be looking at. :X

#30 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Apr 5 2005, 05:56 PM)
The Mer de Glace was wasted on me in France.  I didn't know what I was meant to be looking at. :X

View Post

That's unfortunate. I think glaciers are fascinating.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#31 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:16 PM

So whats the longest flight everybody's been on? where were you going?
Any fun?

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#32 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

Just 3 hours I think when I went to Majorca in '95. I saw the Flinstones film on the way back and I remember thinking it was pretty cool that it was -55°C outside the plane. I guess my flight to Corfu in June might take a bit longer than 3 hours. It was -60°C outside on my flight back from Geneva in January and the captain was a right comedian. biggrin.gif

#33 kitty

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

dont know how long it was but i went to tokyo like 5/6 years ago, it was sssoooo long and i didnt enjoy it at all, im scared of flying and small spaces and didnt have too much fun while i was there but it was a good experience and would like it go back sometime, would like it go everywhere in the world at some point!!!
not been that many places myself
spain- majorca, menorca, and barcelona
norway when i was like 2!
and japan mainly tokyo, done remember where else!!!
and been on holiday around britain, been to a couple of the centre parcs quite like it but its such a family place so not for me anymore!
some day when i win the lottery or something il go on a trip round the world!!

#34 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

I don't mind flights when theres something to do.

However when I went to Ibiza last year, the flight there was only 2 hours, or something like that, but there was NOTHING to do. No film, No music, No food, No nothing!!!!
On the way back we did get a film though - "Peter Pan"

The longest flight I'v been on was 4 and a half hours to Cyprus, and I had tooth ache all the way because of the pressure!!! sad.gif

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#35 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

Around the World sounds like fun!! tongue.gif
Theres so many people that don't like flying, I should think myself luck that I don't mind them eh? Actually I like them, a good start and end to the holiday I would say!! biggrin.gif

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#36 AmAnDa

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

You know where I would really like to go though... Florida! Everyone seems to think its just GREAT!! America never use to be my cup of tea but now I just want to know what it's like!!! Lol! biggrin.gif

user posted image
(`'.(`'. .').')
(.'(.' `'.)`'.)

#37 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

my longest flight was madrid to sao paulo about 10 hours or something. i slept quite alot, well tried to sleep, talked to the leader guy beside me about his wedding,listened to the music/watched film.i wasnt feeling well so it wasn't that great. journey home was better when we all realised there was a free bar.

i'd absolutely love to go to tokyo. I think thats where "lost in Translation" is set and it looks brilliant! I don't really fancy florida that much, altho all i've heard are all these people raving how amazing it is! If i were to go to america i'd much rather go to las vegas, san francisco and NY. i also quite fancy a wee trip to canada.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#38 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

My last flight to Florida took hours because we couldn't land for fog in Glasgow. We traveled in the middle of the night but I couldn't sleep. It seemed like the flight lasted a week. I used to get ill when flying and be sick all the time but its not so bad now.

#39 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(bred @ Apr 5 2005, 05:12 PM)

View Post

I was gutted, I was expecting a big block of ice. I didn't really know what it was. Someone said, "Ah, there's the glacier!" And I was like, "Ok, keep pointing, I'll get my camera out and take a photo."

#40 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Apr 6 2005, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE(bred @ Apr 5 2005, 05:12 PM)

View Post

I was gutted, I was expecting a big block of ice. I didn't really know what it was. Someone said, "Ah, there's the glacier!" And I was like, "Ok, keep pointing, I'll get my camera out and take a photo."

View Post

lol - yeah the moraine lower down the glaciers in the Summer makes them look a bit less attractive!

When I went to Switzerland in July '03 the previous month was the hottest June there ever!
This one shows crevasses in the Collon Glacier, but it isn't well focused:
user posted image
As you say glaciers are often hard to recognise at first if you see them in Summer. Good example here with the snout of the Collon Glacier covered in moraine:
user posted image
Big blocks of ice broken off due to the heat!
user posted image
Looking SE from Felskinn (above Saas Fee at 2,991m) across glacier. Big crevasses!
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users