Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Somebody please HELP! Wot can I do?! - HSN forum

Somebody please HELP! Wot can I do?!

16 replies to this topic

#1 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:48 AM

Im a lil worried about my maths. I only have the past paper book(2000-2003)2 work from. I have the 1992 paper...I think its that year anyway,and Iv already done the 1994 paper,but I don't think thats enough for me because its fair to say maths isnt my strongest subject! What else can I do as practise? Anyone got any ideas at all?
During August and Christmas time we had a terrible teacher...I mean TERRIBLE. We had no clue about anything and could only manage to do NAB level questions. Then he retired and we got a different teacher and it was totally different! She put a proper B-type question infront of us and we all just stared at it! Before,we had only got 1 piece of homework in 6 months...thats how bad a state our class was in! Our new teacher was shocked at the work we couldn't do, so i think if we hadn't got a change I wouldn't even be allowed to sit Higher. Our school's maths department isn't the best though, its been in the paper this year beacuse theres been so many complaints made about the teaching!!!
Anyway...if anyone could offer any good suggestions id be really grateful!! Especially tips on how to do any of the last questions at the end of Paper 2's. Thanx a lot! smile.gif

#2 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:45 PM

There's a specimen paper with solutions on the SQA web site you can download (www.sqa.org.uk). However, if you don't understand the material there's little point in trying endless past papers - you'd probably be better reading through the notes in the Courses section of this web site.

If there's a particular Paper II question you can't solve, ask here and someone will explain it.

#3 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:48 PM

www.mathsrevision.com has fully worked Past Paper Questions, and Revision notes.

#4 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

I'd strongly suggest doing the new higher papers ONLY.

Some silly people think that if they go back ten years especially for Maths they will be able to do most questions. for one, the syllabus has continuously changed. the new higher papers are sufficient.

dont do every paper u can possibly get as it simply is a waste of time.

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:11 PM

i think what james1 is trying to say ( perhaps a little harshly) is that doing older papers will be a waste of time because some questions you can't do and this will kill your confidence. BUT your not "silly"

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:18 PM

If you are looking for extra practice, doing older papers will certainly do you no harm. As Dave points out, there may be some questions you can't do, so don't worry too much about that.

Andy's advice is also good; if you're having trouble with any questions, I'm sure you'll be able to get help here.

#7 AndyW

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:42 PM

www.mathsrevision.com has fully worked Past Paper Questions, and Revision notes.

Haven't seen that site before. Looks like it would be worth adding to the Links section ?

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

Often if you find Maths hard its not that you can't do the question but that you dont understand what it is asking you, as well as doing past papers, even whilst your doing them think about the question that is being asked identify what type of question its is , do the question and look at the solutions. In the exam you will therefore also identify the type of question being asked and having already possibly done a question on the same topic before and focussed on the steps of how to do it for some time then you will quickly recall how to do it.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#9 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

The questions at the end of Paper 2 will be the hardest ones in the paper. If you can't get it all don't worry about it, even if you can get part of it you're doing great!

The bbc has a maths section on bitesize. It has tips and notes on how to do certain parts and questions that have been asked by students and answered by teachers so you might find that helpful! If you need any help just ask and good luck!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#10 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:19 PM

Certainly the more examples you do, the more easier you will find maths.

But you may find that you just can't do some of the old past papers questions, this might be the trigonometry ones which I think have been altered. They are certainly different from the Trig questions asked in the new syllabus.

#11 Jonathan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

i would hardly call doing older papers "silly". Although the syllabus may have changed, the questions that are still asked this year are harder than and are more challenging. Therefore, if you can do harder questions than ones that come up, then there is no harm whatsoever
Jesus Is Coming. Look Busy!

#12 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

Highers are definitely easier nowadays so are AH compared to CSYS!

#13 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:32 PM

Yes that is true in a sense but in a sense the courses are also harder as there are now marks being awarded for trivial things which if you forget to do will bring you down a bit for instance the concluding senetences at the end of a Maths question. Working even! I do think that Jonathan's point is very valid, the more hard examples you do- the more prepared you are and therefore you will be relieved to see very much easier questions in the exam and will whizz through them at lightning speed.

#14 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:11 PM

thats good advice but you also have to make sure you don't lose marks in the easier questions and on arithmatic. Also you can now lose marks for bad communication like not explain why you get a negitive area in finds area under graph questions

There has been a general tread of people neglecting easy question in studying and finding they lose marks in them unnecessarily because they have forgotton what to do

#15 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Dave @ May 18 2004, 09:11 PM)
Also you can now lose marks for bad communication like not explain why you get a negitive area in finds area under graph questions

That's an interesting point

What is the explanation?

Normally I'd just write, for example, -24 so the area is 24unitsĀ²

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 08:32 PM

simply that piece of the graph is below the x-axis so your answer is negitive but in real terms its the positive of your answer

#17 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:35 PM

Yeh that seems pretty sensible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users