Gmail

105 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is the best web mail service? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is the best web mail service?

1. Gmail (17 votes [53.12%])

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. Hotmail (9 votes [28.12%])

Percentage of vote: 28.12%

3. Yahoo (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. Other (4 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

I have used Gmail for a sometime now and I would like to say it is brilliant. Much better than hotmail. Gmail is extremely organized, clean looking, user friendly and capable. Not only is it amazing, I keep finding out they have improved little bits here and there. Adverts aren’t annoying in the slightest; actually they could be quite handy as they are related to your emails. It’s hard to call them adverts. I could not fault Gmail. I would recommend Gmail to everyone.

I have invitations to use Gmail so if you want it please email me.

P.S. Google have not paid me to say this lol

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yeah I've had it for a while aswell - and it's much better than hotmail.

#3 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

I went back to my hotmail inbox today and thats when i realised how much better Gmail is!

#4 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

They're increasing space to 2GB now biggrin.gif

scottbarr@gmail.com

#5 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

I think it's good as well, but I don't check my mail using the website I use Mac OS X's Mail application.

Personally, I think 2 Gb of storage is absolutely ridiculous. What would be good would be increasing the email attachment size so bigger files can be sent (only allows 10Mb or less to be sent in a single email).

I'm very organised and I can't see my mail box reaching more than 20Mb tops.

#6 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Apr 1 2005, 06:39 PM)
I think it's good as well, but I don't check my mail using the website I use Mac OS X's Mail application.

Personally, I think 2 Gb of storage is absolutely ridiculous.  What would be good would be increasing the email attachment size so bigger files can be sent (only allows 10Mb or less to be sent in a single email).

I'm very organised and I can't see my mail box reaching more than 20Mb tops.

View Post

They're doing it as part of their new infinity.gif +1 plan. They're aiming it at the minority of users who are currently using it for large storage. It's a great plan. Hotmail and Yahoo have had to catch up with paid offers to match GMail, and just as they do this GMail go up a notch and offer more...for free. They're gaining more users for the paid adverts, Keyhole etc. And in the USA they're introducing much more interactive features like Google Maps, Google Ride Finder and Google Videos etc. ( http://labs.google.com/ridefinder ).

And they've released their new product Google Gulp ( http://www.google.co.uk/googlegulp/ ) for today only wink.gif Not bad for Pigeon technology ( http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html ) wink.gif (That page isn't April 1st joke...it has always been up!)

#7 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:20 PM

I like Hotmail :/
@

#8 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

What do you like about Hotmail in prefrence to Gmail. have you tried Gmail?

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

Hotmail is great if you aren't concerned about having lots of storage.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#10 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

Storage is isn't the only thing i like about Gmail. If fact the extra storage is handy but I have over 200 messages and have only used a whole 0% of my storage. Gmail has a much cleaner look. It has lost of handy little feature. You can store messages is more than one "folder" and set certain messages to automatically go into a "folder". Its amazing how well it works. Adverts are annoying on Hotmail. The site is slow and cluttered. I don't think I could go back to Hotmail now.

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

You can make different folders on Hotmail too and IMO it isn't slow. I only use Gmail for receiving and transfering bigger files but I still mostly use Hotmail primarily because I can't be arsed telling everyone I've got a new address, still checking Hotmail for months afterwards to make sure I've not missed anything important etc.
Do you know anything about logging into MSNIM with a Gmail account? I tried it but it wouldn't work for me?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hotmail's got more than enough storage for me. I've only used 1% of the 250MB inbox. (Admittedly, when it wasd only a 2MB inbox it was really annoying as I had to delete all the time).

I like that when I'm signed in to MSN I get wee alerts popping up to say if I've not a new email. I don't know if you get an equivalent to that on Gmail?

I've had a wee look around Gmail (because I was nosey and wanted to see what it looked like) but I wasn't lyke woah impressed. But whutevah. I'm not too bothered about email providers and whatnot.
@

#13 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Apr 1 2005, 07:34 PM)
Do you know anything about logging into MSNIM with a Gmail account? I tried it but it wouldn't work for me?

View Post

Try Passport.net. That's where I went to enable MSN on my HSN email address.

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

Cheers. smile.gif

#15 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:48 PM

With Gmail the first page is your inbox o not only do you see if you have any messages, you can see the messages. The Hotmail Today is a waist of time. Gmail doesn't look amazing but its really handy and organised. I like the simple look of it.

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Yeah and all that SMS text message crap still gets past my junk filter at hotmail. sad.gif

#17 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

You know what you need...... Gmail lol

#18 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(CrAiG @ Apr 1 2005, 07:55 PM)
You know what you need...... Gmail lol

View Post

I've got! wink.gif

Where do you get the gmail image thing from?

#19 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have spent all night trying to get it lol.

Go to http://www.nhacks.com/email/index.php. Its self explanatory. Then go to the edit signature bit of this site and click the IMG thing.

Any questions just ask.

#20 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Cheers! biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users