Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Qualitative/Quantitative - HSN forum

Qualitative/Quantitative

5 replies to this topic

#1 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:03 PM

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between the two is. Could someone enlighten me? smile.gif

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

The first relates to quality and the latter to quantity. If you could post a problem with the meanings of the words you have in a specific context I might be able to be more helpful though.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:19 PM

I was looking at the investigation write-up guidelines and the results section has information split into two categories: quantitative and qualitative. I'm not sure how to differentiate ebtween the two in terms of how I would write up different experiments.

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:28 PM

I think qualitative is something like a flame test to see if a wire loop is clean or not and quantitative would be doing something like a titration to see how much alkali was needed to neutralise an acid. I'm not sure though?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Mar 29 2005, 08:28 PM)
I think qualitative is something like a flame test to see if a wire loop is clean or not and quantitative would be doing something like a titration to see how much alkali was needed to neutralise an acid. I'm not sure though?

View Post

Yes, qualitative experiments are about observations and descriptions, and quantitative ones (like titration) give you an actual numerical result.

#6 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

Cheers guys

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users