Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Select Committees - HSN forum

Select Committees

1 reply to this topic

#1 4|_eX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:34 PM

Hey all I have a NAB 2morrow on Select Committees the question is Describe the part played by select commitees in Parliament, and I have 2 include

What it is and what it does
Its power and influence
How it is made/How are the members selected

I cant find anything in my text book or notes any help would be great

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:40 PM

The Commons has Select Committees responsible for overseeing the work departments and agencies, whilst the Lords has them for general issues, such as the Constitution or the economy. Both Houses have Select Committees for reviewing drafts of European directives (enacted as Statutory Instruments under the European Communities Act 1972). The Commons has Standing Committees that are tasked with the detailed analysis of individual Bills. Joint Committees are sometimes formed, from members of both the Commons and Lords.

The House gives almost all Select Committees the power to send for "persons, papers and records". They therefore have powers to insist upon the attendance of witnesses and the production of papers and other material. These powers are not used very often.

Committee recommendations are largely directed at Government, though they may also have implications for industry, the professions and others.

A report warning about the misuse of antibiotics led to increased publicity both within the NHS and for the general public, and a 19% drop in prescribing of antibiotics by GPs in England over 2 years.

Members of the Committees are chosen by the Committee of Selection, a committee nominated by, and including, the whips, whose presence obviously gives the Government influence over who is on the Select Committee. Membership must reflect party strength in the Commons, therefore Government has an in-built majority. Otherwise, membership is largely determined by the whips who consider e.g. the expertise and political reliability of candidates. The result is that the membership is very much influenced by Government whips, though the convention accepted in 1979 is that neither Government Ministers nor Opposition Shadow Ministers are chosen for these committees.

www.leeds.ac.uk/law/teaching/law6cw/hc-7.htm (Clive Walker)
www.parliament.uk
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users