Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
what makes 6th year good? - HSN forum - Page 2

what makes 6th year good?

80 replies to this topic

#21 Jane1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

We were made to choose four subjects for S6 but everyone in our year drops one so we only end up doing 3 subjects ... its tradition in s6! no1 does more thna 3!! some people even do two, the teachers cant stop u from dropping a subject! I chose Adv bio, higher chem and higher psychology (thru open learning) I was gona do adv english but it doesnt fit, but im sure ill survive. Such a shame it didn't fit though ... duno if i can do psychology, I'd love to try it. I think the school has to pay for it and their not too happy with that. Id advise anyone to take Higher philosophy its a great skive and great fun!! sayni that, i jus had the exam 2day and soooo hope i scrape a C!!! a B woulod be brilliant . . i did write 16 bloody pages!

oh and we havent got a common room!!!! :-(
they knocked it down to make the cafeteria bigger last year

#22 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Jane1987 @ May 20 2004, 03:48 PM)
oh and we havent got a common room!!!! :-(
they knocked it down to make the cafeteria bigger last year

ohmy.gif Scandellous!!

I say you, and your fellow S6 pupils, should take over the staff room wink.gif
@

#23 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:00 PM

Tuppence, I reckon that sounds like a plan and a half!

Laura xxx biggrin.gif

#24 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Next year im doing AH geography, H history (crash), H philosophy (crash) and H chemistry (assuming I pass all my exams this year). 6 periods/week study instead of 1 smile.gif but it's going to be quite a tough year sad.gif Have to wear a shirt and tie next year rather than the polo shirt sad.gif Getting a common room smile.gif Should only really need to pass Chemistry though to do geography at uni smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#25 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

i am doin crash higher history as well wot u think it will b like???? U dun modern studies??

#26 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:42 PM

Nope! I have only done modern studies 1period/week in S1 in a wild class with a dozy teacher - didn't learn anything. History was alright in S1/S2 but I'm sure it's going to be a lot harder than those days. A lot to learn I guess but I think I will be better at learning history than formulae for maths etc. Hopefully having done geography each year will help a bit too - I would have done history and geography for SG but they were in the same column. I've got the course notes for SG histroy so I hopefully won't be lagging behind in the class from the beginning.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#27 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:58 PM

Don't panic about history! I did in this year although not as a crash but those in my class who were crashing found it straight forward. You don't need a lot of background at all, maybe a tiny tiny bit! There is quite a bit to learn but it's not bad at all. You need to have good essay writing skills but you get taught how to write history essays well. You should be fine, don't worry about it, it's a great course.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#28 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (xpurple_starsx @ May 20 2004, 07:58 PM)
Don't panic about history! I did in this year although not as a crash but those in my class who were crashing found it straight forward. You don't need a lot of background at all, maybe a tiny tiny bit! There is quite a bit to learn but it's not bad at all. You need to have good essay writing skills but you get taught how to write history essays well. You should be fine, don't worry about it, it's a great course.

I agree.

But I dropped it because I couldn't be bothered with the extended essay. Certainly not a good attitude I have.

I really enjoy history tho. Make sure you keep an open mind tho. That's very important - try not to be biased when you're answering questions/essays.
"I'm not scared of dying... I just don't want to!"

#29 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

yeah i hope crash history will b ok. I am doin higher mod studs this yr n it is ma fav subject. I think that kind o sujects cum to me quite naturally. I hope so anyway
Fingers crossed!

#30 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:11 PM

I'm *hopefully* doing if I pass the ones i'm sitting this year (at the right grades too wink.gif and when I change my first column - I put to do H Chem again since I'm not sure if I'll pass it but I'm giving it everything) Adv English, H biotech (at college twice a week), H Art and Design and H Admin.I also get a free column,wooooo.In my school you have to do something like working with others and an interest course (in my case art again....we just skive and work on our art stuff).We don't have a common room which totally sucks so we get stuck with all the younger years in the social area (yea right,we're not allowed to eat in it anymore),most of which are TOTAL freaks.

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#31 Holly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 07:35 PM

What makes 6th year good?

Absolutely everything!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Free periods (and driving away from the school to go to tesco... biggrin.gif ), the last year with your mates, the last year with your teachers (bad and good) the last day of school, the dinner ladies**, the year book....

6th year may be full of adv highers and a whole load of exam stress but high school (believe it or not) are the best years of your life because you can have such a laugh. i have enjoyed every bit of 6th year and i hope all the rest of you did and do as much i as i did! Uni will be sooo much better tho and i cant wait! The union, here i come! tongue.gif

** we had one dinner lady that the whole school called swippy, she used to take your plate away when you were still eating!!! ohmy.gif not a joke! mad.gif

#32 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Holly @ May 23 2004, 08:35 PM)
we had one dinner lady that the whole school called swippy, she used to take your plate away when you were still eating!!! ohmy.gif not a joke! mad.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I would have beaten her up with a wooden spoon.. or something. I love my food and NOBODY takes it away from me! wink.gif
@

#33 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:05 AM

like the stella atois beer advert? lol

it's gonna b fine everyone stop fretting. like holly says its all about having the last yr of experiencing an enviroment ull never b under again and u shuld embrace it and not b so pestimestic. Optismism. come on think positive ppl. im not gonna turn mrs motivator !!! lol sorry im getting carried away.

if barbie was so popular then why do u have to buy her friends

#34 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (gaveaway @ May 26 2004, 01:05 AM)

it's gonna b fine everyone stop fretting. like holly says its all about having the last yr of experiencing an enviroment ull never b under again and u shuld embrace it and not b so pestimestic. Optismism. come on think positive ppl. im not gonna turn mrs motivator !!! lol sorry im getting carried away.

We're too young to talk about beer on these forums... tongue.gif ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Mrs motivator? married are we?

but yep! everything will be fine. if you're postive about life - then things will turn out good. or, as best as they can.

#35 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (Martin @ May 26 2004, 01:13 AM)

Mrs motivator? married are we?

dont tell me u dont remember martin??? u sed we wuld b forever!! and ure never too young 2 speak about beer!!

#36 kirsty_x

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:37 PM

Hmm some one help!!!

I cant decide what to do...should I stay on for 6th year and mess about for a year with my friends doing open learnings (if i pass everything that is) or should i get out get a job and save for uni or save and travel!

What would u do? dry.gif

#37 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:44 AM

i know this isnt much help but u shuld just do wot makes u happiest the most , if sumone forced u 2 go one of those options wuld u b reluctant coz u wuld rather go down sum other route???
everyone is different so its hard for pp who dont know u 2 say wot wuld b best for u.
good luck in wotever u choose!!! Make sure it makes u happy!!!

#38 Martin

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (gaveaway @ May 26 2004, 01:05 AM)

maybe i'd been drinking too much beer - i don't remember. remind me tongue.gif cool.gif

I'd stay and enjoy 6th year. It's a once in a lifetime experience. You have the rest of your days to travel. Uni... all students struggle for cash - it's part of the fun!!

#39 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:16 PM

Never a truer word said. Its all part of the experience.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#40 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Martin @ May 27 2004, 02:50 AM)

I'd stay and enjoy 6th year. It's a once in a lifetime experience. You have the rest of your days to travel. Uni... all students struggle for cash - it's part of the fun!!

That's a point - you're not a real student unless you're broke!

Laura xxx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users