Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
what makes 6th year good? - HSN forum

what makes 6th year good?

80 replies to this topic

#1 gaveaway

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:music

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:43 PM

one thing which makes sixth year so good is the common room!!!! coz all us 5th yrs werent allowed in last year. its been like an old "tradition"- since the last year werent allowed in and neither were the year before them so obviously we arent allowing the new 5th yrs in - how childish? lol The common room still smells of fish and mince still since the old 6th years on muck up day put little bits of the stuff around teh rooma nd the cleaners refused 2 clean the mess. the x-6th years also pained sum parts of the school green. it was quite funny. not at all promoting vandalism! tongue.gif
Also we get to rule the school now. only joking...well mebbe
if barbie was so popular then why do u have to buy her friends

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

being in 6th year for me is no different from being in 5th year or indeed 4th year becasue we have prefects in 4th year and i have school colours now as well for my space school exploits and the schoold band. We have also had a common room since 4th year.

There is one difference though, my free column which has a double peroid in it so i get 6th periods of when most people will be in English. Which i find particularly beautiful

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:35 PM

Yeah thats what I was looking forward to in 6th year getting some free periods, and simply working on like Advanced Higher subjects, but we were made to pick 4 subjects on our option form, so that only leaves one column blank! sad.gif
Mark

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

Yeh so were we. 1 column free isn't enough. My free column might have to be filled with English. That will mean I will have to clear another column.. its so unfair!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:33 PM

Well I might be getting two free, one column was either ENGLISH or PC PASSPORT and since I really have aquired all those necessary skills then I wouldn't bother taking this, and one of the teachers has said she may be able to get this dropped.
However, a C in English may cause this column to be filled with it,
"My only love sprung from my only hate" - the joys rolleyes.gif
Mark

#6 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:38 PM

Thats meant to be the good thing about 6th year no more English or Maths biggrin.gif , unless u are doing Advanced Higher, or having to resit them again. mad.gif
I really hope i dont have to resit Higher English next year, so i can relax doing the Driving Course tongue.gif

`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#7 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

U guys are all so lucky to even get any private study in 6th year! Be are not allowed any!!!!
I am takin two crash highers and higher music as well as first aid and crap like that but they are tryin to get me to do int 2 spannish!!!
I think not!!!!!
Its sooo unfair!!! sad.gif

#8 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

see my school is competely different they wouldn't let me crash accounts unless i took two columns of it that's 11 periods of it so on one day i would get 3 periods in one day.

That was not goin got happen

#9 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:29 PM

Well the only reason i am gettin to do the crash higher is because i am doin history and i am doin higher mod studs this yr and my teacher says it is the same skills but with different content obviously!! And crash biz man as i have dun s.g accounts and my best friend is fantastic at biz man so she is being my tutor whether she like it or not!!
Ok?? Gill??

#10 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:37 PM

My school didnt bother with my crash higher.

#11 Max018

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:22 AM

Whats good about 6th year?

Nothing

#12 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:23 AM

Awww. Poor you. I'm taking 1 crash higher next year, accounts.
Then I'm doing info systems (which may have to be replaced with english), spanish and Advanced Maths. Its so unfair. I didnt really wanna pick spanish but it was either that or Hospitality Int 1 and no way I'm just doing a load of cooking and cake decorating all year!

#13 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:34 PM

Well our school week has 30 periods, but in Sixth year you only have to do 15 periods a week. So I'm taking Advanced Business, Crash Advanced History and either Adv Comp or Spanish/French.

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:52 PM

U cant do crash advances can you??? That is so unfair. We have to do 22 periods of the thirty. Then PSE and RE are added. So we do 25 periods.

#15 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

Next year I'm supposed 2 so Higher PSychology, French and Human Biology with Adv Chemistry altho I would rather take Adv History or H RMPS!

Doing Crash Adv History mite be a bit ambitious. You need to have good analytical and essay writing skills and it may help if you know a little about the period of time which you're going to study, just a little background.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#16 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:18 AM

The best thing about sixth year has to be the FREE PERIODS, well they are technically study periods, but whose gonna study!? lol

Sixth year is also good in the way that it allows you to further your most favourable subjects through Advanced Higher. For my fifth year I got, 3 Higher As for Maths and Admin and Art and a Higher B in Physics. I also got a fallback Int 2 A in Higher English.

6th Year was great as it offered me a second chance at Higher english!

In 6th year I chose Adv Higher Maths, Adv Higher Art, Higher English again mad.gif and crash Higher in Accounting and Finance which I really enjoyed!

Advanced Higher Art is really really good coz u just work at your own pace and do what work you want to do....FREEDOM!!

Advanced Higher Maths isnt as hard as it sounds...its quite challenging in the amount of work it holds but gives you a great feeling when you think of how you managed to complete it in only a year!

Crash Highers are really demanding and I would recommend taking one as it shows you are intelligent in other areas and are able to cope with new areas easily!

Hope you all get sum info you need from my story of 6th year!! wink.gif
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#17 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

I got free periods [well, they were technically Study Periods, but whatever] and a Common Room in 5th year, but I'm still looking forward to S6.

I'm only doing 3 subjects at school [and then another Higher at college] so I get 15 free periods a week [which is far more than in S5] and a much better common room [with a pool table - yay!]

I'm also looking forward to the S6 prom.

Oooh, and we get to show the little P7's around and scare them away from coming to our school. Hurrah.

I decided to take 4 new Highers next year as opposed to continuing any of my current H's at AH level [cos I've grown to detest the subjects I chose for this year] so I'm looking forward to new subjects. Drama, History, RMPS and Psychology. Yay.

And now you all know far too much about me [that's if you bothered to read my monotonous ramblings].

Rawr. laugh.gif
@

#18 little_minx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

It's gotta be the free periods (even though I'll only get five of 'em). The 5th and 6th years share a common room aready so worse luck for us, we have to shar with the new 5th year (which could be interesting.) I'm doing Advanced Higher Business Management, Higher Biology, crashing Higher Modern Studies (coz my school doesn't do Standard Grade) and I can't deicded whether to do Advanced Higher Computing or Advanced Higher Chemistry. I'm top of the class in Higher Computing but I don't know if I can face another year of Software Development. What do u guys think? Has anyone done any of these subjects? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx

Laura xxx biggrin.gif

#19 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

Crash Highers are really demanding

Oh god dont say tht... i am doin 2 nxt year and i get NO periods of private study as our school is crap!!!!

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:26 PM

the advanced computing forum shows that advanced computing isn't that different in software development section in terms of practical programming and the theory is just an extention of higher

I would haev liked to have done that if i had the chance and definetely would choose advanced computing agaist advanced chemistry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users