Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Unit 3! - HSN forum - Page 2

Unit 3!

42 replies to this topic

#21 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(abigaildav @ Apr 15 2005, 12:49 PM)
  Aargh!  tried to work through the book but find it much harder-there's so much you don't need to know. 

View Post

Yeh, I've noticed that too. I've put up Learning Outcomes for the three units, which tell you exactly what you need to know for the exam. smile.gif

#22 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Apr 14 2005, 04:47 PM)
I've not finished Unit 3 yet and still have some NABS to sit and I'm trying to finish my investigation but it's boring! I hate orange juice!

Unit 1 isn't too bad and some of the stuff in it is covered a bit in the other 2 units is it not? You'll be fine anyway.

View Post

Hey im doing my investigation on juice too! What are you doing? I am finding vit c content.. what effects it etc etc! how far on are you with it? I have finished the practical.. just need to do the write up now! lol the o so fun part!

user posted image

#23 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:54 AM

Hey im doing my investigation on juice too! What are you doing? I am finding vit c content.. what effects it etc etc! how far on are you with it? I have finished the practical.. just need to do the write up now! lol the o so fun part!

My investigation had turned into a bit of a mess! Done all the practical. I've done two orange juices and I'm trying to find the effects of storage on them (room temp and fridge). I'm also seeing if the amount of Vitamin C in the juice is the same as it says on the carton and if the price has any effect on all of this.. It's a nightmare and I don't know what to say about most of it! How is your investigation going?

The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#24 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Apr 17 2005, 11:54 AM)

My investigation had turned into a bit of a mess! Done all the practical. I've done two orange juices and I'm trying to find the effects of storage on them (room temp and fridge). I'm also seeing if the amount of Vitamin C in the juice is the same as it says on the carton and if the price has any effect on all of this.. It's a nightmare and I don't know what to say about most of it! How is your investigation going?

View Post

hey thats practically the exact same as what i have done! i have done 3 different juices. First of all i found vit c content in each. Then i left them open to the air for 24 hours and tested vit c content.. then did the same in the fridge. hows it goin? u almost finished? what did you do for effect of storage?

user posted image

#25 abigaildav

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

Anyone else suddenly realised that their investigations have to be handed in in the next couple of days and panicked?! I still haven't put any of the errors into my write up!

Also my teacher just told me that we are only going to get to the end of topic 5 in unit 3 and i need to teach the rest to myself (in between all my other classes, revising for second prelim, revisin for real exams...)!

#26 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

There isn't really anything in the last couple of topics of unit 3 though.

Isomers are pretty easy - you just have to understand about cis and trans isomerism, optical isomerism and chirality.

Medicines is an easy section - learn about antagonistic and agonistic drugs + their action.

Instrumental analysis is really simple. you just have to learn about elemental microanalysis, Infrared and proton NMR.

I don't think you should have a problem with any of these.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#27 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(abigaildav @ Apr 20 2005, 11:42 AM)
Anyone else suddenly realised that their investigations have to be handed in in the next couple of days and panicked?!  I still haven't put any of the errors into my write up! 

Also my teacher just told me that we are only going to get to the end of topic 5 in unit 3 and i need to teach the rest to myself (in between all my other classes, revising for second prelim, revisin for real exams...)!

View Post

well we have to hand ours in on Monday and our teacher will check them, give then back on Wednesday then he sends them off on Friday he says!
user posted image

#28 deskjet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

What do you think is better to revise from scholar or learning teaching scotland notes? smile.gif Have you written up all your PPAs? Do we need to know all the PPAs?

Good luck with revision smile.gif

#29 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

I've never heard of learning teaching scotland notes, do you have a link to them or anything

Only one PPA needs to be written up and handed in but I think you need to learn them all because there could be a question on them in the exam.

#30 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

Unit 1: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/files/elec...iodic_table.pdf

Unit 2: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/files/chemistry_unit_2.pdf

Unit 3: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/files/organic_chemistry.pdf

#31 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(ally @ May 19 2005, 08:57 PM)

This link seems to be broken. sad.gif
The other two are fine though. smile.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#32 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

Try this: http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/nq/files/chemistry_unit_1.doc
user posted image

#33 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

god dont talk about ppas! I still have to write mine up and hand it to the teacher agh!! Probably best to get that dun before the exam!
user posted image

#34 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 09:53 PM

We only did a couple of PPAs in class, not even 1/2 of them!
user posted image

#35 deskjet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

What dod you think is better to revise from these notes (the links) or scholar? Think the link notes follow SQA curriculum? What do other school's use? smile.gif

#36 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

We use scholar in school but I usually find that it goes on about quite a lot of stuff you don't necessarily need to know. The website is good though, and the tests.

I've not done all the PPA's either. unsure.gif

#37 deskjet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE(ally @ May 20 2005, 05:07 PM)
We use scholar in school but I usually find that it goes on about quite a lot of stuff you don't necessarily need to know. The website is good though, and the tests.

I've not done all the PPA's either. unsure.gif

View Post

Do you know if the notes online are inline with the SQA course? because they are what we have been using in class, but did get scholar books too. smile.gif

#38 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 05:52 PM

Yeh I think they are.

Well LTScotland are a part of SQA (something like that), so they shoud be. smile.gif

#39 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

We've just been using the Scholar stuff in class. Does the Learning Teaching Scotland stuff go into better detail about relevant material or is there a lot of content which we don't need to know, like in the scholar books?

#40 Rubberducky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:53 PM

Good to hear that someone else is just as bad as me lol! Yep i really need to write up the PPA.. my teacher will be mad! o well, we have had other exams to think about! Just hope he hasnt had to send them away already..
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users