Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Revision - HSN forum

Revision

10 replies to this topic

#1 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:30 PM

Hey!!
Now that english is over i suppose i betta get looking at maths!! the joys!!!
How can u revise for maths except do the past papers or practice questions???
Anyone have any ideas?? unsure.gif

#2 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:40 PM

Just do all past papers possible!!!

I got hold of the 95-99 papers today!!! Yeh!! And solutions!! I'm sad!! laugh.gif

I've got model Papers A-G and the current booklet from L and L.

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:42 PM

Well I have gibson practice papers.
The current past papers.
all the old past papers from 1992 -> present.
Maths in Action text book
TeeJay booklets
And i have just finished a prelim a week ago which highlighted a few important points.
Doing examples is the only way to revise maths really!
Mark

#4 catm82

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:43 PM

my maths teacher looks like the dad out of American Pie blink.gif cool.gif

#5 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:21 PM

I'd say revise your notes and do the Leckie and Leckie papers. Don't bother doing any other papers.

#6 Stirling Bhoy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:24 PM

My maths teacher rocks. Good guy who tells us plenty of uni stories, he works his a**e off for us and makes sure we get the work done.

#7 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:47 PM

the best way to revise maths is definitely past papers

you can get all the questions plus marking schemes from 1989 to 1999 here:

Paper 1

Paper 2

#8 Vazza

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (james1 @ May 14 2004, 07:21 PM)
I'd say revise your notes and do the Leckie and Leckie papers.  Don't bother doing any other papers.

I'd agree. We had to do 1993 -2003 papers over the Easter holidays but our teacher made us work. Oh boy did he make us work but he also get results. Says I won't get an A but I'll show him tongue.gif.

He also says after the exam he go over the papers,considering he'll have them done 2 mins after he has the paperin his hands (okay, slight exageration). Most people think hes the most scary person in the school but I think it depends if he like you or not, or if you work or not. Better go and find the summary folder then....

#9 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

Vazza

I'm hoping to get some complete solutions to (maths 1,2 and 3) up on Wednesday. Should have permission from the SQA by then. wink.gif

Apologies to those who are doing Stats.

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:14 PM

Yes the best way to study for Maths is to do as many past papers as possible and as many practice questions. However, sometimes you do not exactly understand what a question is asking you therefore you must make and read some kind of notes, I hear the one's on this site are good! laugh.gif There are also notes at the start of chapters in the Maths in Action textbook and if your tecaher has given you any notes read them!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#11 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, as people have said, past papers the way to revise. But if you don't understand the basic maths, you need to learn that first. If that's the case, I'd try Bitesize as well as the basic course revision stuff on this site -- it doesn't hurt to learn the stuff extra well.

The 2000 Paper is famous for being the hardest of the Higher Still papers. If you have it in a past paper book (I don't, I just have random papers), I've been told that the
specimen paper based upon the 2000 paper is very similar to the 2000 exam. A couple completely different questions, some with values changed and some the exact same.

Of course there's also the normal (revised) specimen paper paper, but it's far too easy. And there's also the non-revised specimen paper, which has at least one question not in the revised specimen!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users