Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Logarithmic Equations - HSN forum

Logarithmic Equations

9 replies to this topic

#1 scotland_2004

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question:

Solve for x larger than 0,
log7(x2-1) - log7(x-1) = 2

Thanks!
(Its x squared in the bracket)

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:07 PM

I'm sorry I can't help you but I'd just like to say logs are important! I'm sure the 7 mark log question in last year's exam cost me a grade B (I got a C) - and in turn probably an unconditional offer or two for uni! Oh and the 4 marker question that I didn't recognise where you use the easy peasy discriminant formula. sad.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:57 PM

[attachmentid=49]

Hope this helps!

#4 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:14 PM

Can anybody tell me if I'm right?

lol

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:21 PM

It looks correct to me!
Mark

#6 scotland_2004

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

Hey, Thanks for your help! I think that is one way to do it because we did that kind of stuff today in class but my teacher said that it was a non-calculator question so the answer was x=48 in the end.

#7 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(scotland_2004 @ Mar 4 2005, 06:36 PM)
Hey, Thanks for your help! I think that is one way to do it because we did that kind of stuff today in class but my teacher said that it was a non-calculator question so the answer was x=48 in the end.

View Post

I think that's because the question is probably log7(x2-1) - log7(x-1) = 2, not with loge which is what Shaun solved.

The working Shaun provided is right though; the solution will end up as 72 = x + 1, so x = 48.

#8 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:31 PM

So it's log to the base seven?

#9 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(fearfactor47 @ Mar 4 2005, 08:31 PM)
So it's log to the base seven?

View Post

I think so, since that agrees with the answer given by the teacher. The working you done for loge was all correct though biggrin.gif

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:15 PM

i think I should remind people that they can format their posts using BB Code. For help inoformation you can look click the "BB Code help" under the clickable smilies when you add a post

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users