Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Giving blood... - HSN forum

Giving blood...

33 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:26 PM

The school have arranged for a blood donating day for 6th years who want to do it. Me being the kind eprson that i am has put my name forward for it, i've wanted to do it for a while, but havent met requirements 'cause i took malaria tabelts over the summer. Definitely a worthwhile cause. I'm an organ donator too, well i am when i die cool.gif

So has anyone else done this, and ,well, how mcuh does it hurt sad.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:39 PM

i dont think i would meet the requirements with all my allergies but i did put on my drivers licence that i want to be used for spare parts in the event of a crash..even my eyes can go, which i hear most people opt out of allowing

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:30 PM

I've always wanted to donate blood. I keep forgetting about it when the big blood bus thing is in Airdrie though. Espeically after my friend's gran was in a car accident and needed, like, seven pints of blood or something like that.

And I have a donor card, and they can take whatever they hell they like. It'll be no use to me.

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 24 2005, 06:39 PM)
i dont think i would meet the requirements with all my allergies but i did put on my drivers licence that i want to be used for spare parts in the event of a crash..even my eyes can go, which i hear most people opt out of allowing

View Post

I'm the same, as much as I'd like to help others I don't think I would meet the requirements/be up for it. I get nosebleeds a lot and stuff.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

We've had the people in to talk to some of our year about giving blood, and it sounds like something I'd be interested in - you can make such a difference by giving so little. Although I am, of course, a little scared of the big needle thing!
I've got a donor card as well and I have given permission for any part of me to be used for medical purposes - I suppose it is a little strange to think about it, but as Lindsey says, what use is my body gonna be when I'm... ohhh God, I'm going to die!
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#6 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

Yeah quite a few people fro our 6th year give blood. I would really like to and feel guilty about not but i am not heavy enough, so i cant!

#7 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:46 PM

Im not giving blood.

Its not that I can't its I don't want to. I am terrified of needles especially when they are sucking stuff out of you. Plus, I don't want to lose more blood: when I was attacked I filled towels of blood, donating some would bring back bad memories when Ive just got over it .

#8 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:08 PM

I like Kevin_Kilbane are terrified of needles and blood put together,so I would give if I wasn't scared of them.

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:35 PM

i've heard alot of people say the same. my friend linzi is terrified, and i eman TERRIFIED of needles and the amount of injections she had to get for going to Brazil nearly killed her, poor thing. she really wants to donate but jsut , well, cant!

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

i dont really like getting injections but a man has to do....

i dont understand the way some people are i mean they actually have nervious breakdowns and have to be restrained in the chair by a small army of nurses

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:55 PM

i went with my friend when she gave blood - she fainted! which was actually probably more scary for me watching than for her, but hey! she's tried to give again since (despite the fact she was told to wait a year, & its only just comin up for a year now), but they wouldn't let her, not cos of what happened before - she didn't mention it - but cos the first day that she went 2 give blood (afterwards) we both got our ears pierced, & cos she got hers done at the top, the cartilage bit, they won't let you donate for a year after that! which now rules me out aswell, cos i got my ear pierced at the top in november. i don't think i could give blood anyway, i'm not a fan of needles in relation to that particular part of my arm - i spent an hour in the medical room at school when i got my BCG skin test in 2nd year!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#12 CC22

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

Is there an age limit to when you can give blood? because one of my mates told me you have to be 18+ but went a few days ago just days after my 17th B'Day

#13 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:35 PM

Can you not give blood after getting a piercing?

Ooh, bummer. I was planning on going on a piercing spree too.

I'm allright with needles. Over the summer I was at the doctors every couple of weeks getting blood taken, they wanted to find out what was causing my mysterious stomach pain.

They still don't know actually. Maybe I should go back again.

#14 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 26 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(CC22 @ Feb 26 2005, 08:09 PM)
Is there an age limit to when you can give blood? because one of my mates told me you have to be 18+ but went a few days ago just days after my 17th B'Day

View Post

I believe you have to be over 17.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:25 PM

Yeah to give blood you:

- got to be over 17
- shouldn't have given blood in the past 16 weeks
- shouldn't have the cold
- shouldn't be pregnant
- shouldn't have had any piercings or tatoos in the past 6 months

There's other criteria aswell, which you can find here: http://www.blood.co.uk

#16 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

I gave blood today biggrin.gif

They came to the uni. It was totally fine. And the nurse people are all really nice! I went with Flora and Sali, who ended up not being able to give blood because of a 'low blood count' or something.

So I had to register first - they asked all the questions "are you pregnant ....(no.)......COULD you be pregnant...(EEEWWWW NOOOO!!)....HIV?......(nope.....).....underweight? (AHAHAHAHAHAAAA).... etc etc..

Then there was a blood test to see about iron levels. That was quite exciting, just a wee prick in the finger. I was then taken over to a bed trolley thing which I climbed on to, only to fall off the other end.

The nurses I had was a wee auld wifey and a rather handsome male. I was totally fine up to the point where I seen the needle I seen the needle and was like "oh dear!" sad.gif. But apart from that it was all really good fun! The best part was when I got to hold the pint of blood I'd given - got my smiley picture taken at this point with the guy next to me! Apparently it is meant to encourage others to go along!

The nurses kept asking me how to say swear in Gaelic! huh.gif

After the whole blood giving deal they make you wait around and supply you with lots of juice and biscuits adn make sure you're not going to faint.

Yes, so...go and give blood. Even if its for the biscuits...it is good fun, makes you feel really good and it is not at all scary. And they have Tunnock's teacakes biggrin.gif

I'd recommend you bring a friend. It makes it all the more fun!

#17 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

Man alive, was I having mysterious stomach pain 2 years ago? You live and learn.

But aye, I can't give blood now. Too much medication.

It's something I always wanted to do as well. Sigh.

#18 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Great to hear of your experience, Sharon! Think about how many people your blood'll be helping.

Everyone who's able to should really give blood. It's not like they hack off your arm and try to catch the spray with a carrier bag.

Sucks that I can't.

#19 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

So...here's a topic for debate:

For criminals to pay their debt back to society should they be forced to donate blood?

It's an interesting one.

#20 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(Switch @ Mar 1 2007, 05:16 PM) View Post
Sucks that I can't.

Yes, I'd like to too. But alas.... I know they have to make sure they don't get 'bad' blood, but they seem to cut out whole swathes of people needlesly. They do a good job, but seem a bit picky for folk that are always going on about not getting enough of the stuff.

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Mar 1 2007, 08:19 PM) View Post
For criminals to pay their debt back to society should they be forced to donate blood?

That's interesting. Would they not have to go to prison if they gave blood? Otherwise it's quite unfair - sort of like a double punishment. Also, a lot of people in prison are addicted to drugs so probaly wouldn't be able to give anyway. Would be interesting to hear what others think though.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users