Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Matrices - HSN forum

Matrices

14 replies to this topic

#1 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

I don't know if any of you have started these things yet but I find them pretty 'guff. There's not much in the unit but the "finding an inverse of a 3x3 matrix" is open to so many errors - the ones in the book have you ending up with fractions over 54, 18 etc...Really quite nasty! rolleyes.gif

Like we did one in class, copied it down only for the teacher to realise we'd made a mistake biggrin.gif The joys (and frustrations) of AH maths!
Mark

#2 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:04 PM

Hey, I'm doing the applied AH maths, so I did these a while ago. We were told not to bother with the inverse of a 3x3 matrix, as they will not be asked in the exam becuase 1) they are so hard to do, 2) there are loads of methods of doing it, 3) people can just stick it into the graphics calculator which will do it for you.

Matrices seem hard at first, but they aren't really.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#3 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Feb 23 2005, 10:04 PM)
Matrices seem hard at first, but they aren't really.

View Post

Until uni tongue.gif

#4 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

It's not the whole unit I find difficult, it's just really that one thing ... but if they're never asked biggrin.gif fine by me!
Mark

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

i am on matrices but we have not got to the 3x3 you talk about yet...will have by tomorrow though

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 blueheaduk

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:15 PM

I had 3x3 matrices in the prelim, and we had to go through a routine of finding the answer with the 1/determinant and the adjugate and all that. It's not too bad once you get the hang of it, did it near the start of the year so I'd say youguys will be okay with it by the exam smile.gif

#7 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:45 PM

We did it using EROs. I don't know if it's the same thing you're talking about! But I won't be losing much sleep over them because the rest of the unit is fairly simple!
Mark

#8 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

you see this is what i dont understand i keep hearing conflicting statements. my friends says he was told Unit 3 is the hardest AH unit of all courses..which i doubt. Yet you say the unit is quite simple.

i haven't looked myself and even if i did i wouldn't be able to say one way or the other

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#9 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:04 PM

No I think it has a different "feel" to it. I think it is harder, but most of matrices is quite simple. The differential equations are quite challenging!
Mark

#10 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

I've found matrices easy so far. My teacher keeps expecting us to take awhile doing something then being surprised when we finish it fast, lol.

#11 sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hi

I'm new to this board. I've been a lurker for a while though I haven't had the courage to post I've finally mustered up the courage. So here it goes.

We're currently doing matrices in my maths class. When I say we I mean my twin sister and myself which is all that our adv maths class consists of. Any way I found these links for matrices some of you may find them ueful:

http://www.math.ncsu.edu/ma107/114/_c1d4a.mov
http://www.math.ncsu.edu/ma107/114/_c1rev.mov
http://www.ohaganbooks.com/ThirdEdSite/fancymatrixalg.html

I hope that they are of some use.

#12 Jas0n

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:34 PM

wow thanks this looks good, I've been struggling with the inverse for a while.
IPB Image

#13 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

those 3x3 matrices are horrible! but i agree the rest of the unit is fairly simple.
differential equations = nightmare! i couldn't get 1 of them right in the whole unit lol

#14 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

i dont think ive actually fully understood anything in unit 3 completely sad.gif not good atall.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#15 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yeah I think unit 3 is definately the hardest.

Proof by Induction, Euclidean Algorithm were the easiest things! Matrices weren't bad ; but I've forgotten quite a lot about them and haven't revised them yet!
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users