Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
What stage is everyone at now? - HSN forum

What stage is everyone at now?

25 replies to this topic

#1 falkirk_fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

I am just going to sit my Software Dev. nabs and I am almost finished my project (which might need completly changed depending on what people say in the thread about projects) and I will be starting my final unit which is AI in the next week. Just wondering if I am behind in the course because sadly I only go for Adv. Computing 3 times a week!

#2 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

Well we have done the SD Nabs.
We have finished AI still to do the Nabs.
And have the first two outcomes of my Project done.

It all depends though on your school and how you do things. We don't have a prelim so can afford more time in class doing past papers.

If you need any help with AI etc, me and Holmes appear to be the two people on here who have studied it.
Mark

#3 falkirk_fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:42 PM

Cheers thats great, looks like i am a bit behind sad.gif Just looking at my practise nab. How on earth do you do the section 2 and 3 parts! I got 24/30 for the questions but the next part for the Software Dev. nab is strange!

#4 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:17 PM

Ahh, once you see how it's actually done it isn't really too difficult! The problem I had was that Scholar's worked example differed totally from the NAB, and it went into far too much detail than was required. It is also required a brief Pseudo-Code representation of a Menu which wasn't in Scholar (it had the structure diagram!) :-

IE :- A REPEAT...UNTIL loop with a CASE stucture within to allow options to be selected.

That's really what you need for section 2, plus use the STANDARD ALGORITHMS at HIGHER to refine one of the options. (structure diagrams or any other methodology are acceptable)

Section 3 is really drawing up a test data table...very much like the ones in Scholar if you look at them!
Mark

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about being a bit behind. As everyone was ahead of me earlier on in the course, but somehow we have made time up (doesn't feel like it!)

AI isn't too 'difficult' it's just remembering new definitions and practicing drawing search trees, semantic nets etc
Mark

#6 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:42 PM

Well ive finihed both the units and sat both the Nabs. Wouldnt say either of them are that bad.

Feel yourself lucky, i only have 1 period a week tongue.gif for proper teaching.

Ive now just started my project now that ive not got any distractions from other subjects or the course itself. On the subject of projects does anybody know when they have to be in for?

#7 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

End of March I think :S... I am not sure tho...Your teacher will probably know!

We don't get any "proper" teaching, we just have to amble our way through scholar and the AI sheets! It's still not that bad, most of the concepts can be grasped.
Mark

#8 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:16 AM

my project has to be in on monday sad.gif

#9 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:36 PM

I'm probably about half way through outcome 3 of the project now. I just have to implement and deliver my presentation.

Then the evaluation which shouldn't be too taxing!

Then AI Nabs and past papers. Should be quite tidy. Not finishing too early and having nothing to do!
Mark

#10 clueless

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hey,

I just finished my project before easter holidays! i've handed it in an my teacher said he would mark it for after the holidays. How is everyone else's projects going? How's the revision going?

#11 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Well I finished my project before the holidays and my teacher marked it and I got 99/100.

We still have the 3rd AI NAB to finish when we go back.

Apart from that everything is done. I've been doing a bit of AI today and yesterday ; basically just brushing up on semantic nets, logic, frames and search trees.

I have the 03 and 04 papers there to try ; but I'll wait until I've revised seriously.

For SD it's really a case of learning lots of waffle of by heart and twisting it to suit the question. At least thats what I do!

Any tips/revision material/questions??

The LTScotland revision questions booklet isn't all that good for software development I don't think!
Mark

#12 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

You are all so lucky! I wanted to do Advanced Higher Computing!

#13 clueless

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

I don't know of any other questions/notes/etc. I've tried a couple of past papers and they're really hard. I'm doing the Data Comms unit, but half of the questions that come up in the exam aren't in my notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way i though the project was out of 90.

#14 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

To submit it as course work you need to do a project evaluation worth another 10 marks.

Some of the questions in the AI section don't really come up in the notes, and certainly the questions where you need to devise a search tree is tricky!! I've only really had a good look at last years paper, and I am going to test myself on the 03 paper at the end of the holidays I think!

We used Scholar for Software Development ; so I just summarised them.

Mark

#15 CC22

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:14 PM

I am pretty much finished a basic Database for my coursework, just need some hepl on my order fomr which is a bit of a mess but when i get that sorted it should be ok

#16 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

I'm just about finished coding, better start on the documentation.. mad.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#17 Kenny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:17 AM

I have done the coursework and Software Development NABs. Done the first NAB for data communications, getting it back today (hopefully) sad.gif. We are about to to the practical data communications NABs, look pretty easy though. Our teacher STILL hasn't finished marking my project, even though I gave it to him about 2 months ago sad.gif. I would say we are at about the right point for this time, since we have all done our projects. The other NABS to do shouldn't be to bad either (I hope).

Then all I have to do is past papers :S. As someone said before, I have tried the past papers, with 3 people helping and all my notes in front of me, and a lot of them I STILL can't do, which is slightly worrying me.

I did very well in the prelim though (89% tongue.gif, even though I did almost NO revision), so hopefully I can fall back on that if I need to.

Hope you all do lots of revision over the next few weeks, i know I will unsure.gif

#18 Holmes

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:StirlingSwim

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

Ive finally just about finished my project biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Not very much left to do now thankfully. I finished all the other units before starting mine. Getting a prelim in the very near future now apparently.

#19 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

We weren't doing a prelim, so I assume once I've done the final unit 3 NAB, we'll just be doing past papers!

Mark

#20 Scott_Cameron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lesse now...<br /><br />I have an *obsession* over A/V hardware and Tails. Yes, that guy from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. XD I'm also very much into Computing hardware of any kind. ^^ I've been a gamer ever since I got that NES when I was 3 and a half years old, and I'm quite into Art and Anime. ^^

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

We've just finished the last of our NABs ... we do, however, still have a small networking presentation to do.

Apart from that, we've had our projects marked ... I did pretty well, I guess; I got 92%. We still haven't had our prelims marked, though ... o_0;

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users