Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
HSN forum Upgrade - HSN forum - Page 2

HSN forum Upgrade

39 replies to this topic

#21 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

You guys dedicate a lot of time to this site don't u?
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#22 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Martin @ Apr 22 2005, 09:25 PM)
hmm... i would have recommended vB over invision. definitely better performance wise and also feature wise.

View Post

Actually vBulletin's features are now pretty much matched by IPB (in 2.1) and vB have resorted to copying some of IPB's new features. Also vB runs 1 or 2 more queries on the main page than IPB which decreases performance and the only time that vB beats IPB on performance is on heavy bandwidth forums where there are 1000s of active users. IPB is about 0.1 to 0.4 seconds slower on these boards. So for the size of this board there would be no change in performance as there are not 1000s of active users at one time.

Of course, they'll both be beaten if I get time in the summer to get around to making my own software! wink.gif (Yeah right!)

#23 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

lol, no
But anyway.... no I think they were right to choose IPB an although there arent thousand of users there are a lot on at one time (is most ever on at one time record), however IPB has got better recently and I think this forum, in general, performs well

#24 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

i actually cannot subscribe to forums which dont use IPB i dont know why they just annoy me somehow

Scott you wouldnt be biased by any chance would you tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#25 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

I bet he is!

#26 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 14 2005, 09:27 PM)
i actually cannot subscribe to forums which dont use IPB i dont know why they just annoy me somehow

View Post

Same.

VBulletin just doesn't do it for me. And phBB is just a joke.

#27 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

phBB lol lol. No I am on several boards with IPB but coincidently none with VB or phBB. I thought it was strane but, as you feel the same, obviously not!

#28 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:32 PM

also the old USENET i cant stand although i know its not exactly the same thing

#29 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

Man we are going way off the original topic! smile.gif

#30 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

Not really. Still talking about forums.

#31 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

He but the original topic was just to tell us it'd been updated and will continue to be in the future. It wan;t really and in-depth discussion.

#32 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

hey dont disturb the natural flow of the conversation

tongue.gif

#33 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 14 2005, 09:27 PM)

Scott you wouldnt be biased by any chance would you tongue.gif

View Post

Me? Bias? Never!

Although what I say on performance for IPB is actually true!

#34 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

Yeh we believe you, we didnt say you were lying, we just prefer IPB

#35 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(Discogirl17 @ May 15 2005, 11:54 AM)
Yeh we believe you, we didnt say you were lying, we just prefer IPB

View Post

As do I tongue.gif Hence why I use IPS for hosting and a licensed IPB as my forum tongue.gif

#36 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:48 AM

I saw/read about the new v2.1 IPB upgrade. Has got some nice new features. smile.gif

#37 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 10 2005, 12:48 PM)
I saw/read about the new v2.1 IPB upgrade. Has got some nice new features. smile.gif

View Post

Yeah, a lot of AJAX is used in 2.1. I've tried the BETA's and they're good, hopefully they'll have the upgrader out soon. The irony though is that some guy just released a book about IPB 2.0 and we're now all moving onto 2.1!

#38 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

It's out as BETA 5 with an upgrader. Looks like it still has a few bugs though.

#39 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:32 AM

phpbb isn't that bad, it doesn't have a lot of the little fancy things, but it does the job!

I think the invision forum is the best, good job on the site.

I make the odd site and wouldn't mind making one but i don't have anything to make a site for!

#40 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, phpBB is the best free board. vBulletin has really paid the price for underestimating Invision Power Services. I remember when I worked there I had a talk with one of the vB devs (From Glasgow). They didn't really see IPB as having the ability to cut it in the paid market. The very next year he ended up going to the IPS Meet looking to take notes :-"

Zef Hemel (Founder of Yabb) also started a Java based board called "KeyTopic" that had a lot of potential but he stopped that sad.gif

Of late I've seen a lot of boards pop up that just rip IPB's code and replace the copyright with their own...they even leave the "IPB License Check" in. :-"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users