Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
hardest and easiest highers. - HSN forum - Page 2

hardest and easiest highers.

61 replies to this topic

#21 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

It's all to do with what you enjoy really.

Maths was fun, but I think that was because of the teacher.

#22 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:52 PM

I remember the day she came in carrying a big plank of wood she found in the corridor...biggrin.gif

Mark

#23 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:19 PM

ohmy.gif laugh.gif ......why was a plank of wood in the school anyway??

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#24 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

Dunno, workmen had left it lying somewhere I think ... She went out for chalk and marched back in with this bit of wood! biggrin.gif Oh god I was nearly splitting my sides with laughter at the time...was so unxpected!
Mark

#25 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:25 AM

Like most of the other advanced higher maths members I found higher maths an easy subject tongue.gif however, I know alot of the people in the year struggle with it, so it's not an "easy" subject.

I've noticed alot of people seem to do bad in Higher English, I put half the blame on teachers though.

#26 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(sparky @ Feb 20 2005, 06:52 PM)
I remember the day she came in carrying a big plank of wood she found in the corridor...biggrin.gif

View Post

And she's not a small woman either, so the sight of Mima with a six foot long piece of wood was quite scary. tongue.gif It was the way she just plonked it down and went back to the board that got me.

God love her. "You'll be flying by the seat of your pants!" Still love it.

#27 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

Te he depends which subject has good teachers, plus you have to enjoy it too and aren't dry as chalk.

I love Biology...not sure if it was the teacher or the fact that we always have a laugh there...he's an ex hippy but looks like Keanu Reeves…he's such a doll...*i'm mentally crazed*

#28 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:16 PM

Lol.I used to like biology till last year when I was told I wouldn't even pass the course ohmy.gif but I did tongue.gif .

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#29 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:08 PM

You show them silly teachers!! That’s cruel…out of order!! Te he I feel liberated at the moment…ignore me.

#30 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 18 2005, 09:52 PM)
yes that logic/creative divide is a thing to do with the brain functionality and it a gender thing as well...from what i see on the tv

View Post

I cant agree. I found Maths easy at H and AH but also Art (H and AH also). These were my two favourite subjects. English on the other hand was a subject which bored me cos i found it difficult. I am generally good at sciences and creative subjects. There is no clear divide of my skills in these areas.
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#31 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

well yes i mean one of the girls who got an A in the AH maths prelim this year is also doing AH art but on average their is a divide their. I mean i play in a brass band and i am good at music but my arguement hodsl because i am useless at english or essay writing in general for that matter

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#32 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:48 PM

Perhaps I didnt make my point clear.

My point is - every1 is different. There is no way of sayin what subjects are harder or easier. Its all down to individual taste: personal favourite and personal skills etc eg sum ppl hate physics and find it really hard. Whereas, sum ppl love it and have no bother at all. Each persons level of capability and choices are different.

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#33 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:06 PM

I dont see any Higher as being easy. Infact I see nothing as easy because I think when you say something was/is "pish" easy, you are being cocky.

The subject I found least difficult was History. I enjoyed everything and enjoyed learning about Bismarck etc, so found it ok to write the essays.

My most difficult Higher was English. Given the fact my teacher was crap, I only started to understand English around Mid April time. I failed the prelim (44%) but managed to get a B in the Final exam. My teacher then said, I thought you'd have got an A depsite telling me I wouldn't pass the Final Exam. mad.gif

In some ways, I wish I took English again because I am sure I could have got that A if the essay questions were not crap and meant I couldnt write anything decent about Romeo and Juilet and Waiting Room. ph34r.gif

#34 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Feb 21 2005, 09:48 PM)
Perhaps I didnt make my point clear.

My point is - every1 is different. There is no way of sayin what subjects are harder or easier. Its all down to individual taste: personal favourite and personal skills etc eg sum ppl hate physics and find it really hard. Whereas, sum ppl love it and have no bother at all. Each persons level of capability and choices are different.

View Post

Yes i knew what you were saying but i was saying that if the average is taken there is a general divide there

#35 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

I'm more with Shandogg on this one. We don't seem to be getting anywhere though so maybe we should just agree to disagree?
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#36 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(bred2k4 @ Feb 21 2005, 10:30 PM)
I'm more with Shandogg on this one.

View Post

Ditto. tongue.gif

#37 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:45 PM

here is what i am getting at

"Yet, imaging results found that women use areas on the right and left sides of the brain, while men only use areas on the left side to complete the test.
      Other research suggests that, on average, the female brain performs better on some skills while the male brain executes other tasks at a higher level. For example, tests show that women generally can recall lists of words or paragraphs of text better than men. On the other hand, men usually perform better on tests that require the ability to mentally rotate an image in order to solve a problem. Mental rotation is thought to help people find their way, according to researchers. Does that leave the majority of women lost? Obviously not. Scientists believe that women may rely on their memory advantage and recall landmarks to find a destination. "

Quoted from some website on developing gender specific medicine

The left side of the brain is for logic and the right is for creativeness

#38 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:50 PM

But from what you've quoted it doesn't suggest that you if you're good at logic you're not creative.

What you've quoted, is to do with gender.

#39 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:52 PM

yes its gender that i was talking about...about 3 pages back

#40 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:54 PM

Ah OK. What site did you get that from?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users