Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
hardest and easiest highers. - HSN forum

hardest and easiest highers.

61 replies to this topic

#1 star2003

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

hey, got to pick my subjects soon and just wondered what you lot think were the hardest and easiest highers. tongue.gif

#2 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:10 PM

They're all hard. Highers are horrible. Make like a sensible person and go to college and be a hairdresser!

Although, French was my easiest. Still hard though.

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:28 PM

Computing/Maths was my easiest but it was my favourite 2, so I probably was quite a swat in those too.

Physics was quite tricky I thought!

but they all require a lot of effort and studying!
Mark

#4 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Spanish has the highest pass rate for a subject with >1,000 candidates with 85.9% passing. French isn't far behind with 82.5% and Physical Education a close third with 81.9% passing. In contrast, English only had a pass rate of 66.3% last year making it have the lowest pass rate for subjects with >1,000 candidates.
See http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Post-Appea...Results2004.xls for more information.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#5 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

Well i think that english was the hardest and the easiest was Modern Studies but that was because i really liked it and did loadsa revision!

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:36 PM

i think to an extent this is a personal thing.

for example may people find at least one of the arty subjects easiest if they have abilty in say music or art that was natural. Also subjects where you have a keen interest and you have researched the subject in your own time

This is why my easiest subjects are computing and music(maths to an extent)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 18 2005, 09:36 PM)
i think to an extent this is a personal thing.

for example may people find at least one of the arty subjects easiest if they have abilty in say music or art that was natural. Also subjects where you have a keen interest and you have researched the subject in your own time

This is why my easiest subjects are computing and music(maths to an extent)

View Post

Absolutely, for instance some people are great at the sciences but poor at more creative/subjective subjects such as English.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#8 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

yes that logic/creative divide is a thing to do with the brain functionality and it a gender thing as well...from what i see on the tv

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

I don't know too much about what causes the divide and that issue of varied brain functionality to be honest, but I think it is quite controversial, especially regarding inferior abilities due to gender!

#10 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:00 PM

in relation to gender "controversial" somehow seens to tame a word wink.gif

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:05 PM

Quite! - By the way, congrats Dave for having the new highest post count on HSN. You also had the "1337" number of posts a minute ago. Where's Ally? He needs to pull his socks up! biggrin.gif

#12 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:09 PM

cool.gif yeah ally and i have been fighting over the top spot for a couple of days now but i have built up quite a large gap just being on tonight

#13 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:32 PM

subjects like Computing, Admin and Accounts are easy 'cos it's just facts you need to know.

geography, english and business management and subjects like that are harder 'cos you need to go a bit deeper with questions and its not just a case of regurgitating whats in the textbook

#14 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

i dont know if i agree with that you see all higher exams have a set percentage of questions "on an unfamilair context" aka problem solving

#15 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

fair enough but in the 'easier' subjects most of the time it's still just repeating notes and not applying your own ideas

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

i suppose you are right for the majority of subjects

#17 kitty

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:58 PM

i think that you should go for subjects that you know you would enjoy and from what you liked from the subjects you have done before eg standard grades (and highers)
you should know youself the type of subjects you do well at artistic, mathematical, etc
and of course some subjects you will only be allowed to do if you have done it before and done ok in it

#18 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:17 PM

i think you should go for subjects that will be of use to you after you leave school be that for university or otherwise

#19 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

Personally for me my hardest subject was Higher English, mainly because it was soooo boring! Chemistry is quite difficult, but if you put the work in, it should be a breeze.

Easiest (or least difficult), because I enjoy it (ohmy.gif), is probably Maths.

Personally I think if you just put the hard work in you should be able to get high grades, although obviously there'll be some subjects you're naturally better in.

#20 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:24 PM

geography, english and business management and subjects like that are harder 'cos you need to go a bit deeper with questions and its not just a case of regurgitating whats in the textbook

My geography teacher would certainly query that - due to the frequency the same questions come up, it is basically regurgitating the notes.
Mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users