Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Close Reading Analysis Questions - HSN forum

Close Reading Analysis Questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

I have a real problem with these types of questions. Im doing the 2003 Specimen Close Reading just now and there are numerous 4 mark analysis questions which relate to imagery.
I find it easy to pick out the words they are looking for but marks are given on " quality of comment" and in the prelim and many close reading exercises I often get 0 because basically I don't know what to say about it.
For example in this question one of the words picked out is " scythed" - I can obviously identify this but I don't know what to write about it. I don't know the exact meaning of this word so can I only get 0 marks?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers.

#2 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

Hey i did that paper this mornin and i think they are jsut lookin for the imagery. I put something like how the image depicts how bad the weather must have been if trees were knocked down and it shows how it must have been powerful wind and stuff like tht. Bascially wot the image makes you think of is the general idea i think!
Hope this is of help?? smile.gif

#3 nijn

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:27 PM

Well I would relate Scythe to death.
If you don't know the exact meaning, there is always other options. If you can't do the others, then just try your best and stick an answer in - anything is better than nothing.

#4 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

I always write stuff like :
" The use of " battered" emphasizes the power of the storm and shows how easily the trees were knocked down"- is stuff like this worthy of marks?

#5 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:49 PM

The SQA wants you to be able to talk of how the literal meaning goes on to suggest something.

Basically you'd say something like "scythed" conjours images of the mythical figure Death, which hints at deadly destruction. Or that the destruction is caused quickly, like in one 'swoop' of blade.

We were always taught a good way to describe images was: "this metaphor/simile is effective because just as ______, ______ is ______"...

#6 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

marty has got the right idea to write down the connotations of the image used- easier said than done mind

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#7 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:54 PM

I always write stuff like :
" The use of " battered" emphasizes the power of the storm and shows how easily the trees were knocked down"- is stuff like this worthy of marks

Well thts wot i do!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users