Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Speaking Test - HSN forum

Speaking Test

22 replies to this topic

#1 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:03 PM

Does anyone know how much of your grade the speaking test counts for? Someone said 40%, is that right? I thought it seemed a bit much.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

no i looked at the arrangements for French and speaking is only 25 marks which is 25%

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 05:59 PM

Yeah its worth 25 marks! The talk is out of 10 and the discussion out of 15!

#4 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:27 AM

Yes its worth 25%
Thats still a quarter of your finbal grade though so you gotta work and not go well its not 40% so its not a lot . That 25% could be the difference between two grades or the difference between a pass and a fail.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#5 krazykooki

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

what topic is everyone doing for their presentation?
I'm doing ou j'habite probably with a tiny bit of ma famille in their as well

#6 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

Probs healthy living, maybe alcohol: Two topics with tons of vocab and opinions.

When I do family I tend to endlessly use s'entendre avec...not a good idea! rolleyes.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#7 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 05:48 PM

Last year i did school for my talk and for the questions i went on to stress, free time, relaxation and a balanced life.

There were quite easy to write about!

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:58 PM

I dont do French but my spanish speaking test is on tuesday. Any tips on how to practice and not freak out?

#9 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

I would suggest speaking clearly (and not too fast) in front of the mirror. In the test you can speak clearly and relatively slowly and still be seen as confident while you have more time to think about what you're actually saying and are in turn less likely to make mistakes.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#10 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:06 PM

Thanx thats great advice. Anymore tips, for instance on how to remember your presentation?

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:34 PM

I think in Higher French we were allowed a few words as memory joggers for the speaking presentation? Hopefully its the same for you with Spanish. I would advise using these words wisely so you don't forget points and are aware of where about in your presentation you are throughout. Each word/heading should be something that triggers you to remember sections of your presentation. However, if the worst comes to the worst it is possible you may go completely blank at one point. At Higher they aren't going to penalise you too heavily for this but the best way to combat it/try to prevent it from happening IMO is to learn as wide a scope of vocabulary as possible for your topic and have back up things you could say if you do end up having a blank spell.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#12 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

I'm preparing for my French speaking at the moment sad.gif , and I have found that a good way of remembering my presentation is to record it onto a tape and then listen to it repeatedly. If your pronunciation is not so good, it would be a good idea to ask your Spanish teacher to record it onto tape for you so that you can hear the way that words should be said. The presentation is a big test of pronunciation as well as your ability to use a variety of linguistic structures, and so it is important not to make too many errors. In Higher French and German you are allowed 5 headings consisting of 8 words each to jog your memory, so I don't see why Spanish should be any different. huh.gif
Try to think of where your presentation could go, and what kind of follow-up questions your teacher could ask, so that you can ensure that you will be able to respond well. The more vocabulary and structures you know, the easier it will be to form your answers, and so I would review what you've learned this year. A problem for me is my genders - it's horrible when you know a word, but don't know whether to say "le"/"el" or "la" or whatever, so try to make sure you know the genders of your nouns. A good grasp of grammar is quite important as well, so try to ensure that you can form sentences in a variety of tenses. ohmy.gif
Buena suerte! smile.gif
(can't get a funny upside down exclamation mark, lol!)

"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#13 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hey i have my speeking test for spanish on thursday! Not started to learn the talk yet though! I did higher french last year so at least i no wot it is like!
Yea the recording thing is a gr8 idea. I have got an english teacher who is spanish to record mine for me, it really helps i did the same thing last year! As for learning just keep going over and over it loadsa times and them u no tht u no it! Just do it in chunks at a time!
Most of all keep calm and dont spk to fast...tht will b hard for me as i spk really fast all the time!

#14 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:36 AM

Well I can't tape it and listen to it over and over so its reading for me. But the other tips are great thanks.

#15 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:49 PM

i used to get poeple to go the interviewer and i would say all my rubbish and they would ask me questions. worked a treat. it is quite easy tbh, if you learn your stuff well you are able to get good marks which can easily push up grades.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#16 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

I practised infront of the mirror. Helped me I got 22/25 for the Sepaking test then an A in the Final Exam.

#17 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:19 PM

I followed the mirror advice......and just got 22/25! biggrin.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#18 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:23 PM

Well for my Spanish Int 2 talk i got 24/30 and i was over the moon!

#19 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

Well done folks!

#20 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

Got 25/25!! Oui, vingt-cinq sur vingt-cinq! Vive La France!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users