Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Student Websites - HSN forum

Student Websites

15 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:08 PM

Just thought that everyone could put together any student websites they know or visit reguarly or could help everyone else.

Ones I use are:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk

http://www.newstudent.org - this is particularly good because it has forums for every Uni.

Two others I found were:

http://www.interstudent.co.uk

http://www.studentfreestuff.com/

Would it be an idea for HSN to have a seperate University forum?

#2 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:12 PM

I suggested that a while ago. They said thats what the after school forum is for.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:59 PM

my problem with a university forum is you will start to get a lot of.....students with their daft ideas and power hungry ways. Basically you run the risk of the site turning into the studentr room, which is a forum i know cannot stand

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:20 PM

TSR is crap. Newstudent is a bit better but does anyone have any other student websites which may be of help?

#5 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:36 PM

Newstudent.org is alright but it would be better if they had a view new posts/threads you've posted on type thing.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

There's a few good medicine ones but I suppose that won't be of any help to you.

#7 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:57 PM

Studential.com

This site looks really good, it has example personal statements, reviews of some courses by students, and tips on interviews.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#8 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ Feb 13 2005, 12:08 PM)
Would it be an idea for HSN to have a seperate University forum?

I don't think it's really necessary to have a dedicated forum for university on HSN, and after all the site is intended to be mainly used by high school students. smile.gif

(Please keep in touch when you move on though!)
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#9 loftx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:36 AM

There are loads of links to student websites at http://www.studential.com/directory/default.asp though in my experiance, there arn't any forums as big as thestudentroom, though you might also want to look at the sites forum at http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/.

#10 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:06 PM

I personally like newstudent.org....its good cos u speak to ppl goin to the same uni wantin to do the same stuff
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#11 loftx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:45 PM

Newstudent.org isn't bad - though the forum software they use really annoys me - you have to login everytime you visit and you cant seach threads. I don't visit it all that much

#12 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

Yeah i agree but it is a good website all the same. But the slowness of it does really annoy me!

#13 Terrence

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:Internet.

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Haha, someone was pimpin' HSN on NewStudent.org and in the St Andrews forum they went raging at them for promoting other sites.

Own up, who was it?
@

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

hehe... 'twas me! wink.gif

#15 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

mostly all the hsn adverts were ally...though i helped on the student room.

laugh.gif i dont think any of the mods even saw the thread because i was expected to get banned

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 08:52 PM

Least I show support to them by using the TSR emoticon: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t89104.html

tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users