Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prelim - HSN forum - Page 2

Prelim

28 replies to this topic

#21 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(Amo @ Jan 24 2006, 04:52 PM)
I have my Higher Biology prelim next Tuesday- I have 5 days of study leave to revise for it- and I'm sure I'm gonna need it! There is so much to learn- I found higher biology easy up untill we started work on genetics... its getting harder! And after reading all about the prelim being harder... uh oh...

View Post

mines is next tuesday but we are revising in class as well as at home so i think ill have done enough come tuesday

#22 Rocky

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

I've done mines, but my school were doing it upto Evolution, so it was simple enough.

#23 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

Can anyone advise me to how long I should aim to spend writing each of the essays in the exam?
Cheers smile.gif

#24 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

That really depends how long you take to finish the rest of the paper. For all the past papers I usually found that I had over an hour left at the end after the essays, some people will be faster, some people will be slower. Hmm maybe spend just over 1/2 an hour in total for both of them.

Let's face it, they are hardly "essays"...you could probably do them quicker than that.

Remember diagrams are a good indicator of understanding.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#25 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for your help, I think the main thing I'll need to focus on is learning all the material so I can jot down everything without thinking about what to write for hours!

#26 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:55 AM

I had my biology prelim today. It was better than any of the other subjects I've done so far even if there was a couple of unit 3 questions accidently put into the multiple choice section. I think I got them too, my (may I say absolutely wonderful best teacher ever) teacher let us see the marking scheme.
I did essays on photosynthetic pigments - obtaining them and the light stage of photosynthesis and the plasma membrane - entry of substances into the cell. The first essay was ok, second less ok but I did the diagram.
The other choices for essays were structure, function and synthesis of proteins or defense mechanisms in plants and animals.
It took me 40 minutes to write my essays.

#27 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:04 AM

i take it you mean that the teacher let you see the marking scheme after the exam? unsure.gif

and thats pretty good going on your essay questions, my teacher reckons you should spend between 15 and 20 mins on each essay (not that that helped me in my prelim...i got 6/20 for essays sad.gif )

My essays were the importance of diffusion and the krebs cycle

#28 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Feb 16 2006, 02:04 AM)
i take it you mean that the teacher let you see the marking scheme after the exam? unsure.gif

and thats pretty good going on your essay questions, my teacher reckons you should spend between 15 and 20 mins on each essay (not that that helped me in my prelim...i got 6/20 for essays sad.gif )

My essays were the importance of diffusion and the krebs cycle

View Post

Yeah, after. Though we did try unsucessfully before the exam.
I'm glad there wasn't much krebs cycle in my exam. Its so hard to remember.

#29 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

hey people, i just got my biology prelim result today. Turns out i managed to get 78%!!! i got 101.5 outa 130! a bit pleased with myself since its very near an A band 1! also i manged to get 26 out of 30 in the multiple choice! my advice for anyone doin higher is to do a lot of past papers and focus down on the multi-choice, because they can really boost your grade!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users