Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Prelim - HSN forum

Prelim

28 replies to this topic

#1 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hey, I had my higher biology prelim today, has anyone else had theirs yet?

The prelim was nothing like a proper SQA exam, some questions were very esoteric!

The essays I did were on mRNA transcription and translation and on the osmoregulation of fresh water fish and salt water fish.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#2 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:20 PM

Mines tomorrow.

How was it? Did you find the essay questions difficult? I haven't a clue what to write on your second essay??!

#3 Scott_Cameron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Lesse now...<br /><br />I have an *obsession* over A/V hardware and Tails. Yes, that guy from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. XD I'm also very much into Computing hardware of any kind. ^^ I've been a gamer ever since I got that NES when I was 3 and a half years old, and I'm quite into Art and Anime. ^^

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

I sat mine last Wednesday, along with the Higher Maths Prelimary. ( Which was a nightmaire , universally agreed by even the bright Maths students in my class )

I would definately agree that it was nothing like the Pass Papers! I sat for two days prior to the Wednesday working between the Maths and Biology pass papers, and while I knew I wouldn't do so well in Maths ( It is my weakest subject, I have a slightly more literally-inclined mind wink.gif ) I thought I had a decent chance on my Biology prelim.

Also, as you so rightly say, the questions seemed restricted to a somewhat minority group of information...a majority of the prelim's section B seemed to be based on past class experiments, rather than actuall knowledge. Of course, it was my fault for not studying these in depth, but the Pass Papers had given me the impression that this would not be a requisite.

As for the essay topics...I was unfortunate in the topics that had arrised. I simply did not study a wide enough range of subjects. I believe I have written a reasonably detailed ananylsis of "Succession in Plant Communities", but my account of "The differences of Mitosis and Mieosis" is simply pathetic.

Before this prelim, I was hoping for a solid B pass, on the hope of working my way up to an A with a more efficient study timetable, like I did with my exams last year. However, under the current cicumstances, it seems I will have been lucky to have scrape a C pass.

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(chicken licking @ Feb 1 2005, 03:20 PM)
Mines tomorrow.

How was it? Did you find the essay questions difficult? I haven't a clue what to write on your second essay??!

View Post

I thought they were quite nice essay questions actually, not the hardest topics they could have asked us on.

Have you covered osmoregulation yet? It's in unit 2.

This is just from the top of my head, if you want a proper explanation, see the textbook:
Basically freshwater fish have osmotic problems as they are hypertonic to their environment which means that they constantly gain water through their gills which act as semipermeable membranes. To maintain a water balance they actively take up ions from the water via their chloride secretory cells. The kidneys have many large glomeruli which have a high filtration rate. Large quantities of very dilute urine is produced. Ions are also reabsorbed from the kidney tubules.

For saltwater fish it is basically all the opposite of that except that they drink water as well.
user posted image

#5 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 08:44 PM

Nope haven't foggiest idea!! guess i haven't reached there yet...OMG how far are you in Biology??? I must be lagging behind oops!!

#6 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:21 PM

About 2/3 way through unit 2 I think.
user posted image

#7 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

I'm on speciation. BTW i thought you were doing AH biology?? I must of made a mistake...

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(chicken licking @ Feb 1 2005, 11:17 PM)
I'm on speciation. BTW i thought you were doing AH biology??

View Post

Higher Biology. Did you not read the first post? tut tut

QUOTE(werlop @ Feb 1 2005, 02:50 PM)
Hey, I had my higher biology prelim today, has anyone else had theirs yet?

View Post

#9 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

Hence the use of *I thought*, the use of the past tense...

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

and she said " i must have made a mistake"

*relieses he is standing up for chicken* ohmy.gif wacko.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:26 PM

Biology prelims never seem to be like past papers. Don't worry about it, I found the real exam a lot easier than the prelim last year.

In Biology you have to study all areas of the course before the prelim because you really don't know what's going to come up and if a topic you haven't studied comes up as an essay, you're in trouble. Essays are usually what gives people a lower mark so practice as many of them as you can. Hope you've all done well!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#12 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

I like the fact that biology has essays. The ones that were in the prelim were quite good as I knew the topics quite well.

Some of the multichoice in the paper were a bit strange, more problem solving than knowledge. I think some of them were from standard grade, which is fair enough, but doesn't help if you are like me and have not done standard grade biology.
user posted image

#13 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

I'm lost for words.

The essays where linking the chloroplast with the light dependant stage and the calvin cycle and the other was describe the the plasma membrane, the functure and structure of the cell wall and finally phagocytosis!!

I lost the plot at phagocytosis!! I hadn't a clue what the word meant! Yes i think i did quite bad considering it was 2.5 hours and i finished way before then!! But it was really distracting because my english teacher was marking our paper!! *gnaws at my nails* Yes he isn't a happy little bunny. More like a big bad bear!!

#14 JenniferSHS

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

I had mine today.

I had already done an Adv. H French prelim, and to be honest my brain was fried - found Biology very hard! Won't have done well there, I don't think..

#15 CMB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

I sit my prelim next friday and I don't know whether or not to be worried. I find biology really easy but in my school no one ever passes the prelim and we haven't had an A in the past 2 years. And some of the people who failed the prelim are really SMART.
Anyone else in a position like this? Is
the prelim always so difficult?

#16 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(CMB @ Feb 13 2005, 12:11 PM)
I sit my prelim next friday and I don't know whether or not to be worried. I find biology really easy but in my school no one ever passes the prelim and we haven't had an A in the past 2 years. And some of the people who failed the prelim are really SMART.
Anyone else in a position like this? Is
the prelim always so difficult?

View Post

they always make prelims really difficult, due to the fact that for appeals, you're more likely to get an appeal if you get a better grade (than u get in the exam) on a hard prelim, than if you got one on an easy prelim, if that makes sense. & obviously, they don't know how hard the SQA are gonna meake the paper in the summer!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#17 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:18 PM

I'm doing Human Biology and thought our prelim was pretty straightforward. It was marked reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally harshly though...

After the whole class moaned to the teacher she took them in and remarked them. I went up from 101/130 -----> 109/130 which I was chuffed about, especially since i got 2/10 in one of the essays biggrin.gif

#18 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:27 PM

I really hated harsh marking in my prelims but actually it is a good thing because it forces you to not accept half "alright" answers and train and study for the answers that are unquestionibly full marks

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#19 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

Got my Higher Biology prelim back today, I got 85% which I'm pleased with. smile.gif
user posted image

#20 Amo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Studying higher english, maths, french, biology and chemistry. Hope to become a doctor/dentist! <br /><br />I'm a car fanatic, and love my music!

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

I have my Higher Biology prelim next Tuesday- I have 5 days of study leave to revise for it- and I'm sure I'm gonna need it! There is so much to learn- I found higher biology easy up untill we started work on genetics... its getting harder! And after reading all about the prelim being harder... uh oh...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users