Private School / State School

202 replies to this topic

Poll: Which kind of school do you go to? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which kind of school do you go to?

1. Private School (3 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

2. State School (33 votes [91.67%])

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

I go to a state school.

Another question I want to ask is about positive discrimination. Do you believe that pupils at a state school should be positively discriminated?

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

I go to a state school which gets below national average results and although I am not eligible for the LEAPS programme of positive discrimination I think it is a good idea.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:40 PM

i dont like positive discrimination its just wrong

If you are right for the job/placement then you should be given it not because of charity because that means someone who is right doesn't get (that person could be me)

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 30 2005, 12:40 PM)
i dont like positive discrimination its just wrong

If you are right for the job/placement then you should be given it not because of charity because that means someone who is right doesn't get (that person could be me)

View Post

But let's take pupils at Eton for example (extreme example I know). They must get so much coaching and guidance that they probably will impress more than us, who don't receive good enough guidance (well, I know I don't). Don't you beleive that's unfair?

#5 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:57 PM

are you talking about universities or getting a job

either way i suppose it doesn't matter because people are also going to go for the people the same as them.

You will get discrimation if you go to Paisley uni and the HR person went to Glasgow
You will get discrimation if you go to Oxford and the HR person went to Paisley

I just think thats the world we live in so we may as well get on with it rather then have people made to take us because what will happen to these people when there is nobody left to help them

#6 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

Over the course of my short conversations with Dave, I have noticed he is very willing to accept things "as they are" and "just get on with it". Well, here's a novel idea: why not try to change things!

And the whole state/private school thing, well, it's just another class barrier in the world. Just because you are from a wealthy family, why does that mean you should have the right to a better education, better prospects, etc...

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 30 2005, 12:57 PM)
are you talking about universities or getting a job

View Post

Both, but mainly about Universities.

#8 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:33 PM

I went to a state school, and I guess I was lucky in that it was a really good school. A private school does not necessarily mean a better education - all it means is that your parents can afford to send you there.

Being at Edinburgh uni, there are lots of people from private schools. I'd say people who come to university from private schools are probably less likely to try as hard as people from state schools. And a lot of people seem to only be there because 'daddy' wants them to be.

You're more likely to go on to post-graduate education if you went to a state school.

If people want to send their children to private schools, then that's fine, but it doesn't guarantee that they will get good qualifications - some people, including certain Royals, just aren't academic.

I was eligable for the LEAPs scheme, but I didn't join or mention it on any applications - in my opinion, coming from a modest background (and a single-parent family for that matter) hasn't held me back in the slightest smile.gif
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#9 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(ermdeviation @ Jan 30 2005, 01:15 PM)
And the whole state/private school thing, well, it's just another class barrier in the world. Just because you are from a wealthy family, why does that mean you should have the right to a better education, better prospects, etc...

View Post

Couldn't agree more. biggrin.gif

#10 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

its not a barrier and i dont believe you always get a better education in private schools its there is a nicer atmosphere i would assume as there is no or very few NEDs ruining everything

I would have loved to have gone to Hutchie in Glasgow for the experience and the opportunities i (as an outsider looking in) think i would have gotton. However i am no worse without it

as for me accepting everything i think that is a good thing because if it aint broke why try (and fail) to fix it

#11 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:00 PM

I go to a good old state school, which had better results this year than Hutchy, one of the nearer private school to us (or so we have been told numerous times) I wouldnt like to go a private school. From what i've heard the pressure they get is unbelievable (that's all i've heard not saying it's necessarily true!)
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#12 Kevin_Kilbane

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

My state school is falling to bits and is getting rebuilt. But, its done the job for me.

#13 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(Kevin_Kilbane @ Jan 30 2005, 05:02 PM)
My state school is falling to bits and is getting rebuilt.  But, its done the job for me.

View Post

Likewise! The current school is a hole and a new one is nearing the end of the planning process(think it's being built summer '06)
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#14 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

My friend's dad is a chemistry lecturer at Glasgow and he has told me that in general state school pupils tend to adapt to university life better as private school pupils have always been forced to achieve and have been really pressured throughout their school life. When this pressure is taken away they do not know how to work properly and end up floundering whereas state school pupils are more used to this and and up doing better.

He says this doesn't always happen, but is relatively common.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#15 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Jan 30 2005, 06:00 PM)
I go to a good old state school, which had better results this year than Hutchy, one of the nearer private school to us (or so we have been told numerous times) I wouldnt like to go a private school. From what i've heard the pressure they get is unbelievable (that's all i've heard not saying it's necessarily true!)

View Post

My cousin goes to one and he at the bottom of his year with averaging marks of 87%!! They have high expectations in private schools. Even though private school are 'supposed to be better' there are bound to be states school higher in the league table.

#16 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE(chicken licking @ Jan 30 2005, 05:11 PM)
My cousin goes to one and he at the bottom of his year with averaging marks of 87%!!

View Post

Really?! That'd probably be the highest marks in my school, if they were prelim marks.

#17 chicken licking

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

I feel sorry for him. His mum tell him off all the time...but i console him with the fact that my marks aren't that great *cousin snigger*.

#18 Icemaiden

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Mwahahahaha!Attempting to dominate the world.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

I go a good old state school,which results are pretty bad: apparently better tho this year biggrin.gif.My cousins,however, go to a private school down in england.When I go to see them (about once every 5 years:don't worry I'm not too keen on them),its always the snob value -->"Oh we do such and such [insert hockey,football here],[insert name] is captain of the school hockey team and quiz team,and Icemaiden what do you do??" To which i normally look down at my feet and say nothing and then get the reply "are you sure??".I mean Ok so I don't get the best grades in the world and I go to a state school,but hey I feel I'm living my life to the full with people around me that make me happy and really what matters is that I get somewhere in life where I want to be....and by getting offers for uni I feel that I'm getting somewhere. biggrin.gif

Wow that was long!

Huggles

Ice Maiden
http://icemaiden04.deviantart.com

I'm a nutter in need of a new home (any offers?!? :P)

Cornish Pasty Pixie

"Its a new dawn,its a new day,its a new life for me....and i'm feeling good" -->Muse,Feeling good

#19 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

lol, that's what gets me the most, the general snobbery eminating from private schools. rolleyes.gif

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:11 PM

there isn't always snobbery i mean Belmont House is just full of Celtic players kids and such commoners with money

Think tho wouldn't it be good to go to a school where you had science classroom what had equipment that worked and computers from the 21st century and huge libraries with books in them that didn't stink of fags and vodka

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users