Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
How many texts are u all revisin?? - HSN forum

How many texts are u all revisin??

15 replies to this topic

#1 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:12 PM

Hey
I am kinda worried about wot the essay questions are goin to be like as the ones from last year were really good for me, therefore they prob wont b so good this yr. I am revisin a play, 2 novels and a poem. What are u guys all doin?? Do u think that that is enough??
Any help would b gr8

Thanx
Luv Jill xxx sad.gif

#2 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 05:18 PM

I would say that's enough. I sat Higher English last year and got an A. I only learned one play (Romeo and Juliet) and two poems (Assisi and Visiting Hour by Norman MacCaig).

I was quite lucky with the questions but I knew these three texts well - I would say that's the key. Oh, and you have to be able to twist questions if they don't fit right biggrin.gif

Just relax though, don't get worried about it. Remember if they are hard questions then they are hard for everyone and all that determines your grade is how well you do compared with everyone else.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#3 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:20 PM

Iv got the same problem. I really cant do the play (The Crucible) we studied in class and I only have a novel (The Changeling) and 3 poems prepared now and im worried that theres no suitable questions for them because i only know them well from certain views!!! dry.gif

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:23 PM

that's more than enough i have been learning 1 novel, 1 play and 1 poem but there are people i know that are only doing 1 poem and 1 play so if you have problems on friday we all are in for it!

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:25 PM

We have eben given a play, a novel and four poems but I'll only learn two of these poems really well. The questions were good for me last year, I hope the exam board are kind two years running!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#6 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

I am learning a play (R & J), Three poems (King Billy and Journey Of the Magi are my main two, The Jaguar as my back up) and for prose Andrina (as a definite last resort).

However I really know R & J, KB, and JOTM, in some considerable depth!

Mark

#7 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

Well we have Romeo and Juliet for our play, and I'm learning The Horses and Visiting Hour as my two poems. I have another poem and a short story, but I will only be learning the three I named. There should definitely be an R+J question, and I'm hoping there is one on The Horses

#8 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:51 PM

Well I'm learning the approaches for two poems, a novel and a short story.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#9 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:28 AM

1 play (the Crucible) 1 novel (One day in the Life of Ivan denisovich) and 1 poem (Snake by DH Lawrence) and a scond poem as a last resort (Your Attention Please by Peter Porter)

#10 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:06 AM

I'm doing 1 play (Hamlet), 1 novel (Tess of the d'Urbervilles), a short story and a poem, and possibly a back up poem as a last resort (depends how the revision goes today!)

#11 $impl_ih

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:50 AM

Im doing two poems "The Horses" & "Exposure", 1 play " Death Of A Salesman", and 1 novel "To Kill A Mocking Bird".
These are in order of preference, i hope there are good poetry questions.
cool.gif
`..`._. $ m p l y _ h `..`._.

user posted image

#12 Guest_Iain_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

Well, in the hopes of getting a good poetry question, I learnt six MacCaig poems. It's not all that much harder than learning lines in the play, and I'd put in most of the effort for the prelim anyway. The good thing about poetry is it's not hard to know what the key quotes are: almost all of it.

And for drama I can write about the theme of disillusionment or the deterioration of the relationship between Biff and Willy explaining the theme of success in Death of a Salesman. And for prose I can write about symbolism/evil in Nineteen Eighty-Four. And character conflict/symbolism/evil in the cone gatherers (kinda pointless if I can write about Nineteen Eighty-Four). But I can't write about anything else.

I still just hope the questions are good -- or that I can make up any failure in close reading. blink.gif

#13 nijn

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:57 AM

I have learnt Death of a Salesman, The Cone Gatherers, and Journey of the Magi. I'm going to pretty much be relying on play and novel, as I have sufficient quotes and a decent knowledge of the text along with themes etc. Although I am better with The Cone Gatherers than I am with Death of a Salesman >_<.
Iain for The Cone Gatherers:
'Minor character of significance in the novel' (Most people choose Roderick, however in pastpapers and set questions in class I chose Peggy: very useful when looking at disintigration of Duror), 'Turning point' (Deer Drive), and 'An introduction with impact' (Makes reader aware of war / contrast with desolate place: Ardmore Forest - the quotes in the intro are easy to learn) are good essays to plan out for The Cone Gatherers.
Try looking over those if you have any time spare (Assuming you haven't overlooked them already), they're always good to know.

I suggest reading questions, finding the one you can make the most points about, then use plans you should have in your head (5 or so words under appropriate headings), and write them down on paper- spending no longer than about 5 minutes on this.

Also: When writing about 'Death of a Salesman' never forget to mention the technique employed by Miller: 'Flashback' - it plays such an important role in the play.

#14 Jonathan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

Im learning:

"Night Geometry and The Garscadden Trains"- By AL Kennedy
"Empire Of The Sun"- By JG Ballard

"Daddy"- By Sylvia Plath
"Frida Kahlo COmes To Dinner"- By Christine. M. Stickland

Not learning Othello, as i am terrible at it

Although for my personal study, i did do "The Cone Gatherers"
Jesus Is Coming. Look Busy!

#15 Jane1987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:01 PM

Hi, I just found this site today, a whole day before the english exam!!! noooo!! I'm studing Romeo and Juliet, I really hope something comes up on the deception/isolation of a character cos thats the only thing im doing on it!!! I'm also doing short stories "Mary moon and the stars" and "flowers" and poems "exposure" "Waiting room" "revelation" . . but im not actually learning these poems, I'm just kinda hoping a good one for a short story comes up and for R+J. If not, suppose I'll just bluff my way to a C!! :-)
Good luck everyone!!! At least theres no more school eh?? not for 3 weeks anyway!!

#16 nijn

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:57 PM

I'm hoping for a question on conflict between Good/Evil or Disintigration. Altough I am quite flexible, I just hope they're relevant enough to my texts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users